Tadlo is a village in Laos.
From Pakse, get a bus to Salavan and asked to be dropped off at the road for Tadlo (30,000 kip). From the drop-off point after the bridge, it's about 2km down a road on the right hand side. There may be a tuk-tuk waiting to take you and the going rate is 5,000 kip/person.
Tadlo is easily navigated on foot.
Tadlo waterfalls. There are 3 waterfalls within 10km of Tadlo. The first is right next to the village, the second is about a 1km walk upstream and the third is about 8km upstream. The second waterfall can be easily found by following the jungle path on the left hand side of the river (facing upstream). You will hear it before you see it, and there is a home-made set of steps to take you down to the bottom of the waterfall where you can swim. You can also hop around the large stones at the top of the waterfall, and even jump off if you have the cahones! (although check the area you're jumping into first!).
Trekking. Treks with guides can be arrange at the Tourist Info. Sites include the surrounding forest and Katu and Alak tribes people, as well as waterfalls.
Elephant Rides. Tadlo Lodge offers elephant treks for 100,000 kip/person. The trek takes around 1 1/2 hours and the elephants are very friendly and timid.
There are a couple of small shops selling the necessities.
- Tim's Guest House & Restaurant, ☎ 214176. Great food and good prices.
- Tim's Guest House & Restaurant, ☎ 214176. Fruit shakes, soft drinks and more.
- Saylomyen, ☎ 020-227-5542. The cheapest river views in simple huts. 30,000 kip.
- Sephaseuth Guest House & Restaurant, ☎ 214185. Next to the river, an alternative place to stay. 40,000-60,000 kip.
- Tim's Guest House & Restaurant. Run by a local Lao couple, this guest house is definitely the pick of the bunch. The owners are very friendly (even voted Lao citizen of the year) and help support the local community with some of the money they make. Rooms are simple but nice, and the atmosphere and staff are great. 30,000-60,000.
Tim's Guest House run's a local computer school and they have good internet access via 3G at 200 kip/minute. If you have your own device it is 10.000 Kip for unlimited wifi access.
Walk back to the main street in Salavan (or catch a ride from one of the guesthouses). Buses back to Pakse operate a few times a day - ask a guesthouse for times - and cost 25,000 kip. just wait by the side of the road.