- See Telemark skiing for the skiing style.
Telemark is a county in East Norway. It is a rugged area with many big lakes ("inland fjords") and picturesque valleys. The county stretches from the industrial areas along the sea through the forested hills to the barren, unpopulated Hardangervidda.
- Brevik - a seaside town with a bacallao festival.
- Bø - a small village in the heart of Telemark. Major attraction is Bø Sommerland.
- Kragerø - a seaside town which attracts many tourists in summer.
- Langesund - a seaside town with many concerts at Wrightegaarden in summer, also has a fish festival and a sea shanty festival.
- Notodden - holds a yearly blues festival in August.
- Porsgrunn - a town with a yearly street theater festival.
- Rjukan - a town deep in a valley that the sun doesn't reach there during winter. Also the home of the Vemork hydroelectric plant, the Industrial workers museum and the heavy water sabotage mission during WWII
- Skien - a town where the famous author Henrik Ibsen was born
- Gaustadtoppen - an iconic mountain with an impressive panorama of large parts of South Norway
- Haukeli - mountain village in the east of Vinje municipality; huge ski destination during winter
- Nome - a municipality
- Rauland - mountain village in Vinje municipality
- Two airports in Telemark have scheduled flights – Skien Geiteryggen Airport and Notodden Airport.
- Nearby Sandefjord's Airport Torp has direct flights from many European cities. From there, take the free shuttle bus to the nearby train stop ("Torp Sandefjord Lufthavn") and the train to Porsgrunn or Skien.
- Oslo Airport, a major international airport, is 180 km northeast of Skien. See below how to get in from Oslo.
- There are trains from Oslo along the coast to Skien, sometimes with a change in Larvik in Vestfold county. Search on nsb.no.
- Long distance buses from Oslo, prebooked is cheaper than bought onboard, NOR-WAY Bussekspress.
- E18, the main road of Eastern and Southern Norway, passes through Telemark in the districts of Porsgrunn, Bamble and Kragerø.
- Local buses, tickets and info by Vestviken (Norwegian only). Route info on rutebok.no (also in English).
- Ibsen's Venstøp, Skien - The place where the world-famous writer Henrik Ibsen was born.
- Telemarkskanalen (The Telemark Canal). Telemarkskanalen was hewn out of the rocks by hand, and stretches 105 km from Skien to Dalen in west and to Notodden in east. The Canal consists of eight locks with a total of 18 lock chambers, and a difference in height of 72 metres. The first part was completed in 1861 (Norsjø -Skien) and the Bandak Canal in 1892.
Telemark is considered extremely safe. There is really no need to avoid any places at any time, although you should probably not provoke drunk people in taxi lines around 2AM-3AM.