Udumalpet is on the National Highway 209 connecting Coimbatore and Madurai. It is about 75 kms from the industrial city of Coimbatore (which has an airport)in the North, 60 kms from the Hosiery Town of Tirupur in the North East, 35 kms from the Temple Town of Palani in the East, 75 kms from Palghat (Kerala) in the West and 85 kms from the Hill Resort of Munnar (Kerala) in the South.
Udumalpet is also on the Coimbatore-Rameswaram railway line which has a branch route to Palghat in Kerala.
- Thirumoorthy dam
- Amaravathi dam
- Picnic spot nearby panchalingam water falls in thirumoorthy hills 20 km from Udamalpet.
The town is surrounded by hills and has a great weather throughout the year. The town is also called as Poor man's ooty because of its climate. Udumalpet is close to many tourist attractions - Palani Temple (35 km), Munnar (88 km), Kodaikanal (100 km) and Thirumoorthy Hills (21 km), Topslip, Aaliyar (35 km).
Waterfalls in Thirumoorthy hills draws quite a number of tourists. It takes half an hour to the falls by trekking from the Thirumoorthy temple. The Thirumoorthy temple is an excellent scenic place with Amanalingeshwarar Thirukkoil at the foot hills. The way atop the hill is pretty exciting up to some 1 km and extremely challenging to go beyond that. It is said if you bend and crawl for about 40 meters beneath a rock behind Panchalingam, you could reach the next layer of Western Ghats, i.e the plain between two adjacent hills and it is said that even tigers exist there.
The villages surrounding Udumalpet are well known for their beauty. Villages are crisscrossed by Amaravathi river and various irrigation canals. Coconut tree farms are common sight and this area is one of the leading producer of coconuts. The countryside is a popular film shooting spot, providing scenic backgrounds and greenery. Thirumoorthy hills houses a beautiful dam which is a very famous shooting spot for Tamil movies.
Udumalpet lies between the famous temple town of Palani (35 km)and Pollachi (28 km)in the National Highway No.209. Udumalpet is also connected by a metre gauge railway line.
- Sri RajRajaswari Agencies, 61,Chatram St, phone 225609. Department store.
- kalaimagal stores, new no : 81 , dhali road - udamalpet, ☎ . publishers' disributor - wholesale book seller & stationer's
- Anusuya Agency (H.P.C Dealers), Pollachi Road, Udumalpet (On the way to Pollachi from Udumalpet), ☎ . Fuel Filling Station(Petrol,Diesel and Automotive Lubes), 24 Hrs Service.
- Rajendra & Co, ☎ . General Merchant, Established in 1946. You can buy all general purpose day-to-day items. Shop located in dhali road, Udumalpet.
SUN HOTELS non vegetarian south indian, north indian,chinese, tandoori.. dhali road
AARIYA BHAVAN vegetarian traditional south indian dishes with sambar.. dhali road
TAJ HOTELS non-vegetarian world class biriyani shop.. kuttai,dhali road
Ragam Bakery, Dhali Rd, Baking and confectionary. Top class baking items, snacks, ice creams, pizza.
Anamalais Hotel, 223569,224516,224166 M P Hotels,224255
- MP Hotels.
- VM Lodge.
- M.P. Hotels - Lodge, Restaurant and Conference Hall - #5, Dharapuram Road, Udumalpet -642126. Phone: 04252 - 224255, Mobile: 9884622191 URL: mphotels website Lodge, Rooms, Drink, Hotel, Food, Restaurant, Bar, Marriage Hall
- Ananth Lodge, 224827, 226208
- Annai Lodge, 224159
- Ganesh Lodge, 223161
- Kurinji Lodge, 224353
- M.R. Complex, 223884, 225464
- Priya Lodge, 223696
- Shalimar Lodge, 226111
- Shankar Illam, 223089
- Siva Lodge, 223926
- Sivan Lodge, 224258
- Sri Ganesh Lodge, 223161
- Udupi Lodge, 226285
- V.M. Complex, 227851, 227853
- Anamalais Hotel, 223569,224516,224166
- Annna Hotel, 223131
- Arya Bhavan, 226788
- Dharma Sastha Hotel,
Kodaikanal,a picturesque hill station is 100km away from here. Topslip,Aliyar and Thirumoorthy dam are close by. Munnar(80km)and chinnar near UDT is famous for tea estates.