This town is mostly known for the Menkemaborg, a particular kind of castle and one of the oldest and best kept examples of its kind in the region. This borg is also the main attraction for visitors. The town is part of the municipality of Eemsmond and has around 5140 inhabitants.
Uithuizen is connected by train, with direct services to Groningen. The train (direction of Roodeschool) runs every half hour during day, and every hour in the evening and weekends. It's a good half hour's ride. There are plenty of road connections to all town in the region, including the N46 to Groningen.
The village itself is small and best explored on foot or by bike.
- The Menkemaborg, Menkemaweg 2. Mar–Sept.; Tue-Sun: 10am-5 pm, Oct.-Dec.; Tue-Sun:10am-4pm. This historic, brick mansion still boasts lovely gardens, moats and promenades. It's one of the best examples of its kind in the country and gives a great insight in the life of the inhabitants of a Groningen 'borg' in the 18th century. Adults €6,-.
- 't Schathoes. Good quality restaurant located in the Menkemaborg. It also offers arrangements for lunch or diner including a visit to the borg and its gardens.
- Azzurra, Hoofdstraat West 2. The town's Italian restaurant gets rather good reviews, especially for its pizza's.
- Peking, Schoolstraat 1. Chinese restaurant.
- Hotel Het Gemeentehuis, Hoofdstraat Oost 16. Fully renovated after a fire in 1996, this historic building is now a comfortable hotel and restaurant. € 85,00 for a double, breakfast included..