Upcountry South Carolina
Upcountry South Carolina consists of the northwestern corner of the state.
- Lake Jocassee
- Lake Keowee
- Devils Fork State Park
- Keowee Toxaway State Park
- Oconee State Park
- Table Rock State Park
While there are many upscale gated communities located here the area remains primarily rural in nature. This is an excellent place for family vacations and romantic getaways in particular. The best time for touring is from May to November. Autumn foliage is at its peak usually in mid to late October. Accommodations range from camping to vaction rental properties.
LODGING / ACCOMMODATIONS
- Cabin Rentals SC State Parks
- Vacation Rentals
- RV Touring
- Pet Friendly Vacation Rental - Maplecrest at Lake Jocassee http://maplecrestatjocassee.com
Lake Jocassee Vacation Rental http://jocassee-vacation.com
- The Peachoid. Gaffney (just off I-85). This water tower in the shape of a peach is a familiar landmark for anyone who has driven up and down I-85. Stop and take a picture, or just look out the window as you zoom by.
- Waterfall Tours
- Horseback Riding
- Whitewater Rafting
- Freshwater Fishing
- Motorcycle Touring
- Ziplining Forest Canopy Tour
The Golden Corner Region of SC has the highest number of waterfalls of any area in the Eastern US. Many can be seen by car at roadside stops. Access to some of the more spectacular ones are by foot trail or even guided tour boats. Lake Jocassee in particular offers the best boat access to the Jocassee Gorges Conservation Area for sightseeing.
- Aunt Sue's Country Restaurant Hwy 11 Cleveland SC
- Victoria Valley Winery off Hwy 11 Cleveland SC
- Paesanos Italian Restaurant Hwy 28 Seneca SC
A word of caution, it is illegal in South Carolina to be 'grossly intoxicated' in public. The police can arrest you and charge you with public disorderly conduct if they believe this is the case, and there seems to be no legal definition of grossly intoxicated for a pedestrian. This is a misdemeanor offence, resulting in a court hearing. You can get your charged expunged within the state by entering a Pre-Trial Intervention (PTI) program. This involves fines, community service, drug tests, attending alcoholic’s anonymous meetings & homework assignments and typically takes about 2 months to complete. However, the PTI program is not recognized by the Federal Government.
Outdoor Adventure is what this area is all about. Whitewater rafting on the Chattooga "Deliverance" River is not to be missed. World class trophy fishing in the depths of Lake Jocassee offers anglers a very rewarding experience. Octoberfest in Walhalla SC is a must if you happen to be in the neighborhood.