Valdosta is the 10th largest city in the state of Georgia. It is located in Lowndes County, in the state's Plantation Midlands region. The population is about 50,000 people. Valdosta is one of the fastest growing cities in Georgia, where new buildings are always being built somewhere.
Valdosta is located just off I-75, about 15-20 minutes from the Georgia-Florida border, roughly halfway between Atlanta, Georgia and Orlando, Florida. Valdosta can also be reached traveling on US 84, US 41, and US 221.
Valdosta Regional Airport (VLD). The only commercial carrier serving the airport is Delta, from/to Atlanta only.
- Greyhound, . Stop is located at 200 N Oak St.
Valdosta has a network of roads that is more or less structured. If you don't want to get stuck in traffic, you can drive on Inner Perimeter Road, which goes around Valdosta. Although Valdosta is a medium-sized city, tourism is important, with thousands of visitors visiting the city every year.
Valdosta has a subtropical humid climate with mild winters, hot summers, and abundant rainfall. Please be aware that Valdosta often suffers from oppressive heat and humidity in the summer, due to the fact that rainfall is most abundant in the summer. In the summer, temperatures easily reach the mid-90s. When the temperature is accompanied by high humidity, the heat index can reach well over 105. If you're not accustomed to the heat, the best times to visit Valdosta is from late September to early May. Otherwise, wear sunscreen, and a hat. Bug spray is also necessary, as gnats can be a problem in the summer. Temperatures can reach 90 degrees as early as May, and as late as September.
- Lowndes County Historical Museum, 305 West Central Avenue, ☎ . M-F 10AM-5PM, Sa 10AM-2PM. Displays the heritage of Valdosta and Lowndes County. Maintained by the Historical Society of Lowndes County. Free.
- 'Dosta Playhouse, 122 N. Ashley Street, ☎ . Featuring various performances throughout the year by Theatre Guild Valdosta .
- Annette Howell Turner Center for the Arts, 527 North Patterson Street, ☎ . M-Th 10AM-6PM, F-Sa 10AM-4PM, Su 1PM-4PM. Features four galleries with rotating exhibits along with a permanent gallery featuring East African art.
- Valdosta State University Fine Arts Gallery, +1 229 333-2149.
- Valdosta State University Theatre, +1 229 333-2149. Productions featured September through May.
- The Crescent, N Patterson St & Gordon St. Historic home
- Wild Adventures. Family-friendly theme park and zoo.
- Splash Island, Water park connected to Wild Adventures. A good place to go to cool off during the intensely hot summers.
- Golf, 4300 Coleman Road North, ☎ +1 229 247-2527 ext. 2. Stone Creek golfcourse.
- Golf. Kinderlou Forest Golf Club, 3374 US Highway 84 W, +1 229 219-2300.
- Morven Music Hall, +1 229 775-2181. Sa 5PM-11PM. Live music, dancing. No smoking, no alcohol.
- Watkins Music Hall, Mt Zion Road near Rocky Ford Road, +1 229 242-2169. Sa 6PM-11PM. Live music.
- Go to church.
- Theatre Guild Valdosta. Community theater in Valdosta. TGV produces four shows per season, plus two childrens' show. Located in the 'Dosta Playhouse in downtown Valdosta.
- Grand Bay Wildlife Management Area. There are hiking trails, a 2,000-foot boardwalk and a 54-foot observation tower that overlooks open prairie and a heron rookery. Water lovers enjoy the canoe trail and boating through the Blackgum Swamp.
- Valdosta State University, 1500 N Patterson St, +1 229 333-5800, 1-800-618-1878, . Over 10,000 students enrolled undergraduate and graduate programs.
- Valdosta Mall, 1700 Norman Drive, ☎ .
- Downtown Valdosta, +1 229 259-3577
- City Market, 101 N Patterson St. Art gallery and shop
- Walmart, 340 Norman Dr, ☎ . 24/7.
- Walmart, 3274 Inner Perimeter Rd, ☎ . 24/7.
- Sonny's BBQ, 1701 Norman Dr (Outside Valdosta Mall), ☎ . Part of the chain located in the Southeast US.
- Red Lobster, 1179 N Saint Augustine Rd, ☎ .
- Applebee's, 1301 N Saint Augustine Rd, ☎ .
- Cracker Barrel, 1195 N Saint Augustine Rd, ☎ .
- International House of Pancakes, 1821 West Hill Ave, ☎ .
- Outback Steakhouse, 1824 Club House Dr, ☎ .
- The Bistro, 132 North Ashley Street, ☎ .
- Mori Japanese Steakhouse, 1709 Norman Dr, ☎ .
- Smok'n Pig, 4228 N Valdosta Rd., ☎ . Sun-Thurs 1100-2200, Fri & Sat 1100-2230. BBQ
- Ole Times Country Buffet, 1193 N St. Augustine Rd., ☎ . Southern food buffet
- Masato Japanese Steakhouse, 1337 Baytree Road, ☎ . Japanese
- Barberitos, 1337 Baytree Rd., ☎ . Mexican-American
- Aligatou Japanese Steakhouse and Seafood, 1922 W Hill Ave, ☎ . Japanese
- Ichiban Japanese Steakhouse, 2913 N Ashley St., ☎ . Japanese
- Fuji Gourmet, 1701 Norman Dr. (inside Valdosta Mall). Japanese-American buffet
- Olive Garden, 1315 N. St. Augustine Rd. (Turn left at the first traffic light when entering from I-75), ☎ . 11am-10pm. $$.
- The Wooden Nickel, 3104 N Oak Street, ☎ . Ext,
- Comfort Inn, 2101 West Hill Ave, ☎ .
- Courtyard by Marriott, 1564 Baytree Rd, ☎ .
- Days Inn, 1827 West Hill Ave, ☎ .
- Drury Inn, 1327 N St. Augustine Road, ☎ . Built in 2013. A Olive Garden and Fazoli's (fast food Italian-style restaurant) are very close.
- Econo Lodge, 3022 James Rd, ☎ .
- Howard Johnson, 1330 N Saint Augustine Rd, ☎ .
- Knights Inn, 2110 West Hill Ave, ☎ .
- La Quinta Inn, 1800 Club House Dr, ☎ .
- Motel 6, 2003 West Hill Ave, ☎ .
- Quality Inn North, 1209 N Saint Augustine Rd, ☎ .
- Quality Inn South, 1902 West Hill Ave, ☎ .
- Ramada Limited, 2008 West Hill Ave, ☎ .
- Sleep Inn & Suites, 3026 James Rd, ☎ .
- Hampton Inn & Suites, 2 Meeting Place Dr. (next to the James H. Rainwater Conference Center), ☎ .
- Briarwood Motel, 1934 Briarwood Rd., ☎ .
- The local area code is 229 and is not required for local calls.
Travel in Valdosta is relatively safe, as it is a medium-sized city, but like all cities regardless of their sizes, there will be crime in certain areas so use common sense no matter what.
- WQPW 95.7 the Mix
- WAFT Radio 101.1
- Hahira, Georgia. (About 20 minutes North)
- Homerville, Georgia. (About 45 minutes Northeast)
- Lake Park, Georgia. (About 20 minutes South)
- Statenville, Georgia. (About 20 minutes Southeast)
- Monticello, Florida. (About 1 hours Southwest)
- Quitman, Georgia. (About 20 minutes West)
|Routes through Valdosta|
|Macon ← Hahira ←||N S||→ Lake Park → Gainesville|
|Macon ← Hahira ←||N S||→ Lake Park → Lake City|
|Dothan ← Thomasville ←||W E||→ Waycross → Savannah|