The districts of Warsaw south of Śródmieście have enjoyed a measurable growth in population numbers and importance in recent decades thanks to their proximity to the airport and the fact that the strech of the Metro line first completed was one connecting Ursynów and Mokotów with Śródmieście. While primarily residential and filled with mostly 20th century developments, they contain their fair shares of historic buildings. There are also many lesser-known (to tourists) parks, and many leisure facilities, serving the area's dense residential neighbourhoods.
For tourists, the biggest draw is the Wilanów Palace and its Park, but if you undertake the effort to get there, you may be interested in exploring the area further. It is made relatively easy by the well-developed public transit network in the area.
Mokotów has over 200,000 inhabitants and is the most populous district of Warsaw. It consists mostly of residential developments of varying density, and Warsaw's largest office district in its Western part. There are a few historic buildings in the district, and many places played a meaningful role in the Warsaw Uprising. There are also quite a few embassies in Mokotów, and some parks. The name "Mokotów" (arguably) originates from French mon coteau, which means "my hillside" or, in another version, from Mokoto, the supposed name of the settlement's founder.
Ursynów is a primarily residential district, constructed from the late 1970s onwards, with the prominent use of plattenbau (prefabricated concrete elements). It therefore has very few historic buildings and indeed very few places of interest to most tourists. Due to the metro line crossing it, it is however a very convenient place for medium- and long-term accommodation, and the Warsaw University of Life Sciences (SGGW) has its main campus within the district, so many students and faculty would be based there. The name comes from Julian Ursyn Niemcewicz, whose middle name Ursyn is derived from Latin ursus meaning a bear.
Wilanów is a district of Warsaw. It is most known for the eponymous baroque royal residence and park, which is a tourist favourite due to its unique beauty. Apart from the palace and park, the rest of the district is mostly low-rise upscalish residential developments and supporting infrastructure. A large part of the district's area remains undeveloped, providing good recreation grounds for walking, biking or picnicing. The original name of the settlement was Milanów, but it was renamed by the King Jan III Sobieski inspired by a French descriptive phrase Villa Nova.
By public transit
From the Warszawa Centralna train station, you can take 119, 131, 525 to get to Mokotów. From Marszałkowska, also in the Centrum, you can take 522. Or if you cross under the street, and pop up on al. Jerozolimskie, you can catch the 107. If you go further down to ul. Piękna, where the US, French, and Canadian Embassies are located, you can also catch the 159. The 180, which is known as the tourist route, connects the Old Town and Nowy Świat with Wilanów, via the Mokotów. Most of these buses will end up taking you in the direction of the Sadyba neighborhood of Mokotów, toward Wilanów.
- There are no trams or metro in Wilanów. The bus terminus closest to the Palace is called Wilanów. Another bus terminus Sadyba (in Mokotów) is also in close proximity.
Warsaw's subway system immediately connects Mokotów with Śródmieście and Ursynów. The last station in Śródmieście before entering Mokotów is the Metro Politechnika stop, while the last stop before entering Mokotów from Ursynów is the Metro Ursynów stop. More or less, the subway line cuts down the middle of Mokotów. Warsaw's subway system has several stops in Mokotów, which can allow for travelers to quickly hop on and off the metro line and get north and south of Mokotów in just a few minutes. The following stops are in Mokotów - Pole Mokotowskie, Racławicka, Wierzbno, Wilanowska, and Służew. There are five metro stations in Ursynów. From north to south, the metro stations are: Ursynów, Stokłosy, Imielin, Natolin, and Kabaty. With the metro, it's possible to get to Centrum in 10 - 20 minutes.
- From the Warsaw Chopin Airport, the most direct connection is the bus line 148, which goes straight from the terminal towards Ursynów, stopping in. al. at Metro Imielin.
- The Park of Culture and the Botanical Garden are far away from other points of interest and can be reached from bus termini Powsin - Park Kultury and Ogród Botaniczny respectively, or if you prefer to take a walk, take the Ursynów) and then walk through the Kabacki Forest. to (in
- The two streets that lead to Wilanów are: ul. Powsińska-ul. Wiertnicza and al. Wilanowska (not ul. Wilanowska which is in Śródmieście), which earlier merges with ul. Sobieskiego. They intersect right in front of the Palace and merge into ul. Przyczółkowa, which leads to the Park of Culture in Powsin, the Botanical Garden and to Konstancin-Jeziorna.
- By car, you can get to Ursynów by driving down Puławska (extends south from Marszałkowska) or Aleja Niepodległości (which extends south from Aleja Jana Pawła II, eventually merges with Puławska) from the city centre. Puławska is also a major entry point to Warsaw itself, so visitors driving in from the south can use it as well.
- Main streets parallel to Vistula: ul. Czerniakowska-ul. Powsińska, ul. Belwederska-ul. Sobieskiego, ul. Puławska, al. Niepodległości, ul. Żwirki i Wigury
- Main streets perpendicular to Vistula: ul. Spacerowa, Trasa Siekierkowska-ul. Witosa-ul. Sikorskiego
- National Library of Poland (Biblioteka Narodowa), al. Niepodległości 213, ☎ +48 (0/22) 608 29 99, fax: +48 (0/22) 825 52 51, e-mail: email@example.com. Closed Sunday. Simply put - it's the library of Poland.
- Szuster Palace ul. Puławska 55 (near the Flik restaurant)
- Królikarnia, ul. Puławska 113a. A palace on a slope, part of the National Museum.
- St Katherine Church ul. Fosa 17
- Monument to the Victims of Communist Terror 1944-1956
- St Anthony Church in Czerniaków ul. Czerniakowska 2/4
- Folwark Czerniakowski
- Gardener's House ul. Jodłowa 18
- Manager's House ul. Bernardyńska 1
- Wilanów Palace (Pałac w Wilanowie), ul. Stanisława Kostki-Potockiego 10/16, ☎ +48 (0/22) 842 81 01. 10:30AM - 6PM, last admission 5PM. Wilanów Palace is tucked away in the romantic surroundings of the royal gardens. Its an ideal place to take a date or just to relax, but be forewarned that there are a few ponds and lakes along the walking paths that are infested with mosquitoes, so be wise and protect yourself or your date with bug repellent. The interior of the palace has been coverted into an art museum. Free on Sundays.
- Poster Museum (Muzeum Plakatu), ul. Stanisława Kostki Potockiego 10/16, ☎ +48 (0/22) 842 48 48, fax: +48 (0/22) 842 26 06, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. The Poster Museum is for you if you're interested in seeing cool posters by the likes of Rafał Oblinski, a Polish artisan who made a big splash across the world by making posters for the New York Opera, Cincinnati Opera, and numerous American magazines.
- SD Galeria, ul. Stanisława Kostki-Potockiego 24, ☎ +48 (0/22) 842 00 66.
- The Park of Culture. On the edge of the Kabacki Forest (Las Kabacki). Many sports venues including an swimming pool. Walk or cycle through the forest (although the latter is now illegal!) to Metro Kabaty.
- Botanical Garden (Ogród Botaniczny), ul. Prawdziwka 2. Actually, next to the Park of Culture, although there is another bus terminus (see above). No pets allowed.
- The Pheasantry Palace (Pałac Bażantarnia) ul. Nowoursynowska 84
- The «Delight» Palace (Pałac «Rozkosz») ul. Nowoursynowska 166
- Polish People's Movement History Museum (Muzeum Historii Polskiego Ruchu Ludowego), al. Wilanowska 204. The building in which it is situated, called The Yellow Inn (Żółta Karczma) is probably a lot more interesting than the museum itself.
- The Royal Road ends in Wilanów, but you could do it backwards.
- Kabacki Forest near . You can walk through the forest to the Park of Culture and the Botanical Garden
- Cinema City, ul. Wołoska 12 (Galeria Mokotów), ☎ +48 (0/22) 456 65 00. A decent cinema in Galeria Mokotów. The upside of the theater is that the mall's food court allows you to grub out before or after the movie.
- Iluzjon, ul. Narbutta 50a, ☎ .
- IMAX, ul. Powsińska 31 (Sadyba Best Mall), ☎ .
- Multikino, al. KEN 60, ☎ .
- Warsaw Music Society (Warszawskie Towarzystwo Muzyczne), ul. Morskie Oko 2. Classical music.
- Hokus Pokus, ul. Powsińska 31 (Sadyba Best Mall), ☎ .
- Tor Stegny, ul. Inspektowa 1 (near the intersection of ul. Sobieskiego and ul. Sikorskiego), ☎ . Open when the temperature falls below 10°C.
- Wodny Park, ul. Merliniego 9 (near ul. Puławska near Królikarnia), ☎ .
- Basen SGGW, ul. Ciszewskiego 10, ☎ .
- Galeria Mokotów, ul. Domaniewska 41, ☎ +48 (0/22) 541 41 41. Shops open from 10AM - 10PM. A large, uncrowded, and extremely nice and comfortable shopping mall. It's a great mall for those that want to avoid the crowds of Zlote Tarasy or Arkadia. Plus, you can find a few more lesser known shops here than at other popular malls.
- Sadyba Best Mall, ul. Powsińska 31. By comparison to other malls in Warsaw, this one is pretty small, but it comes equipped with a cinema, food court, and interestingly enough - a bowling alley, which is a one-up on most malls in Warsaw. Its cinema is also one of only a few IMAX theaters in Poland.
- CH Land, ul. Wałbrzyska 11 (Metro Służew), e-mail: email@example.com. A very small, rather un-populated mall in Mokotów. This mall isn't too large or packed with annoyingly large crowds like at Złote Tarasy, Arkadia, or Galeria Mokotów, but it also doesn't have nearly the same number of stores as those malls or the activities.
- REAL ul. Puławska 427. Hypermarket.
- Kangurek, al. KEN 93 (get off at the stoklosy subway station.), ☎ 022 335 07 01. Small supermarket, right beside the "STOKLOSY" subway station.Kangurek also have home delivery. average.
- MarcPol, ul. Dereniowa 8 (get off at stoklosy subway station), ☎ 022 859 12 05. Small supermarket, decent prices, good selection of meats and alcohols. right at the Metro Stoklosy.
- Dominium Pizza, ul. Rakowiecka 41 (Subway to Pole Mokotowskie, then restaurant is opposite the SGGW administration building), ☎ +48 (0/22) 210 10 10. Just one of a chain of pizzerias.
- Efes, Al. Niepodległości 80 (Metro Racławicka). Great place to go for a kebab.
- Pizzeria Segment, ul. Powsińska 18A, ☎ +48 (0/22) 651 87 01. Open from 11:30AM - 10PM. A cool little pizzeria located in the Sadyba neighborhood of Mokotów. The pizza is superb and there is a number of varying pizza themes. The deserts only improve the experience. In the summer, dining upstairs is nice and the restaurant has an outdoor balcony. In the winter, it's warmer to eat downstairs than upstairs. 30+ zł.
- Flik ul. Puławska 43
- Restauracja Roma, ul. Artur Grottgera 2. 60+ zł.
- Portucale, ul. Merliniego 5, ☎ +48 (0/22) 898 09 25, fax: +48 (0/22) 898 09 27, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Portuguese restaurant that made its reputation in its collection of amazing wines.
- Blue Cactus, Zajączkowska 11, ☎ +48 (0/22) 851 23 23, fax: +48 (0/22) 851 23 22. M - F.: 8AM - 11PM. Sa.: 9AM - 11PM. Su: Noon - 10PM. An excellent Mexican restaurant with good food and drinks. You can easily spend 60 or more złotych per person, but it's well worth the money. Roughly 60+ zł.
- Park, Al. Niepodległości 196, ☎ +48 (0/22) 825 91 65, e-mail: email@example.com. Park is like Russian roulette; you may have your head blown off, or possibly have a great time. The door is relaxed, which means a lot of fools and the fashion challenged can usually get in. Alcohol is cheap with a shot of Wyborowa only costing zł 5. The only real problem is likely to be a concern for women. The men who go to this club often act like they have never seen a woman before, which may be due to the ethanol induced state of mind they are in, and may touch women who obviously don't want to be bothered. If any woman decides to go to this club, be sure to bring along friends or a guy friend to ward off drunk advances. Also, be sure not to upset the bouncers – let's just say, they don't take too kindly to being upset.
- Qlala Bar, ul. Chełmska 21, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. A random and thoroughly unsuspecting bar. Walking in, the bar tender seemed surprised by the idea of customers, but was friendly. The furniture in Qlala consists of large comfortable chairs, love seats, and sofas, which are surrounded by book shelves that are covered in worn Polish-language books.
- Zielnik, ul. Odyńca 15 (A few streets from Racławicka metro stop, off of Al. Niepodległości), ☎ +48 (0/22) 844 35 00, fax: +48 (0/22) 844 99 15, e-mail: email@example.com. Zielnik is a really cozy café where couples and close friends could go for lunch, dinner, and a cup of coffee or tea. Worth a visit, if you like to get a sense of having some alone time with a friend or date.
- Cafe Chełmska, ul. Chełmska 9 (Buses 107 and 141 stop across the street, while bus 119 stops around the corner after turning off of ul. Chełmska), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Open M-F from 8AM - 8PM, Open Saturday and Sunday from 10AM - 6PM.
- Sikkim, Al. Niepodległości 88 (Racławicka metro stop), ☎ +48 (0/22) 844 14 79, e-mail: email@example.com. Cool little café, where you can stop in for a cup of tea or grab some tea leaves for home.
- Jar ul. Koński Jar 6
- A hot chocolate at Cafe Wedel near Wilanow Palace.
- Atos, ul. Mangalia 1, ☎ .
- Aramis, ul. Mangalia 3, ☎ .
- Portos, ul. Mangalia 3a, ☎ .
- SUSeł, ul. Rzymowskiego 41/43, ☎ .
- Reytan, ul. Rejtana 6 (near Metro Pole Mokotowskie), ☎ .
- Hotel Karat, ul. Słoneczna 37, ☎ +48 (0/22) 849 84 54, fax: +48 (0/22) 849 52 94, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 12PM, check-out: 10AM. 250 - 400 zł per night.
- Rezydencja Parkowa, ul. Wiertnicza 94, ☎ +48 (0/22) 642 6204.
- Zajazd Na Uboczu, ul. Jara 4a, ☎ +48 (0/22) 885 1352.
- Holiday Inn Express Warsaw Airport, Poleczki 32, ☎ , fax: +48 22 373 37 05. Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 15:00. You may feel smarter if you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night and the breakfast and WiFi are free obviously, but the hotel is a bit in the middle of nowhere next to an office park and in front of a busy turnpike leading to the airport. There is a shuttle to the airport at scheduled times. Parking costs 20 PLN a night. 195 PLN.