Włochy is a district of Warsaw. For tourists, the most important thing about the district is that is encompasses the Warsaw Chopin Airport and numerous hotels close to the airport. Otherwise, it is a primarily low-rise residential district with very little places of tourist interest. As the district's population density is low, getting around by public transportation might not be that easy, but it is relatively easy to get in and out of the airport by both public transportations and by car.
Włochy is the Polish name for Italy, and the name of the district might originate from Italian immigrants settling there at some point in history. The district is further divided into: Nowe Włochy, Stare Włochy, Raków, Salomea, Okęcie (where the airport is located), Paluch, Załuski and Opacz.
- Obviously anybody landing at Frederic Chopin Airport will be visiting Włochy per fiat, but not many will even take notice.
- The main streets parallel to Vistula are: ul. Żwirki i Wigury, ul. Grójecka-al. Krakowska and Al. Jerozolimskie.
- The main streets perpendicular to Vistula are: ul. Sasanki-ul. Hynka-ul. Łopuszańska-ul. Kleszczowa and ul. 17 Stycznia (adjacent to the airport).
- The bus and tram terminus Okęcie despite its name is far away from the airport (apparently this is the reason why the airport was recently renamed). The airport is served by bus routes 175 , 188 and 611 and the terminus name is Port Lotniczy.
There is not much to see, but the airport itself is quite nice and modern.
If plane-spotting tickles your fancy, a good spot is next to the runway end by the Obi supermarket. Most plane-spotters will choose the other end of the airport grounds in the Ursynów district though.
Restaurants are few and far between. Your best bet is heading for the city centre for a broader choice.
As with restaurants, Włochy is not know for their bars and lounges.
- Gromada, ul. Żwirki i Wigury 32, ☎ . A campsite.
- Courtyard by Marriott Warsaw International Airport, ul. Zwirki i Wigury 1, ☎ +48 (0/22) 6500 100, fax: +48 (0/22) 6500 101. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: Noon. The Courtyard is right at the airport terminal, convient if want to go to bed right after late arrival or have to catch a very early flight
- Novotel Warszawa Airport, ul. Sierpnia 1, ☎ +48 (0/22) 575 6000, fax: +48 (0/22) 575 69 99, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Airport Hotel Okęcie, ul. Stycznia 24, ☎ +48 (0/22) 456 8000, fax: +48 (0/22) 456 8029.
- Hotel Dedek, ul. Dźwigowa 43, ☎ +48 (0/22) 863 48 21, fax: +48 (0/22) 863 31 54, e-mail: email@example.com. Basic room begins at 150 zł on the weekend.