West Kirby is in Wirral.
West Kirby is a small town on the Dee estuary. It has views across to Wales and Hilbre Island and a rare Marine Lake.
Walk out to Hilbre Island or its smaller (and closer) outcrop, Little Eye (be VERY careful of tides - read guidance on signs near boathouse, at end of the Marine Lake).
The Marine Lake can be viewed from the lengthy Promenade, which has parking, plus benches to enjoy the often busy sailing activity.
The Old Village is quite pretty; visit St. Bridgets church, maybe walk through Ashton Park, which straddles the Wirral Way, itself a lengthy stroll along the bed of an old rail branchline, with fine views.
- Ashton Park, Westbourne Rd, West Kirby, Wirral, CH48 4DH (about 10 minutes walk from West Kirby Station). The most northerly point of the Wirral Way. free.
Walk to Hilbre. Walk, run, cycle or horse ride the Wirral Way. Amble in Ashton park. Cycle to Liverpool along the coast path. Idle in one of many independent cafes.
- Wirral Sailing Centre (Marine Lake), South Parade, West Kirby, Merseyside, CH48 0QG, ☎ . Visit West Kirby. A Edwardian seaside town which is unspoilt by modern chains and offers views across to Wales and Hilbre Island as well as Coronation Gardens and a rare Marine Lake walk.
Really good bacon from Clarke's the butchers.
- At Loch Fyne. This is the old Ring O'Bells pub, sadly now converted into a rather pretentious seafood chain resto. But (good news), it is apparently going to returned to pub use, later in 2010
- Karma Restaurant, 9 Grange Road, West Kirby, CH48 4DY, ☎ .
- La Paz, 3 Banks Road, West Kirby, CH48 4HD, ☎ .
- Ring O' Bells (Greene King), Village Road, West Kirby, Wirral, CH48 7HE, ☎ .
- The Wro Lounge & Bar, 2 Grange Road, West Kirby, CH48 4HA, ☎ .
Try the inevitable Wetherspoons, inside the old Dee Hotel, near the rail station - actually better than it used to be, when it was a 'real' pub!
Or, probably better, walk a few hundred yards up the hill, to find the White Lion pub, which is quite small but friendly & interesting.
Think the (in)famous Moby Dick is now back in action, after a period of closure but haven't been there yet - this is in the Old Village area.
- The Collingwood, Black Horse Hill, West Kirby, Wirral, CH48 6DS, ☎ . 11am-11pm. Bar and Restaurant with extensive wine and cocktail list. Freshly prepared home made food served every day.
- The Dee Hotel (JD Wetherspoons), West Kirby, CH48 4EF, ☎ .
Peel House is nearby.
Or, a bit further away, but easy in a car, stay at the Green Lodge pub in nearby Hoylake - reasonably priced, with pub-chain restaurant.
- 21 Park House, 21 Park Road, West Kirby, Wirral, CH484DN, ☎ . £35+.
- Abbey House, 108 Meols Drive, West Kirby, Wirral, Merseyside. CH48 5DA, ☎ . £150+.