Western Visayas is a region in the Visayas in the Philippines. It is a grouping of the islands of Panay, half of the island of Negros, and the small island province of Guimaras. Panay Island consists of the provinces of Aklan, Antique, Capiz and Iloilo. The island of Negros is divided into two provinces; Negros Occidental is considered part of this region while Negros Oriental is considered part of the Central Visayas.
The world-famous beach island of Boracay is just off the northern tip of Panay.
The region has many religious and cultural festivals including the Ati-atihan Festival in Kalibo and Dinagyang Festival in Iloilo. both in January, and the MassKara Festival in Bacolod during October.
- Bacolod - A bustling city famous for its MassKara festival and chicken inasal.
- Iloilo City - Provincial capital of Iloilo, home of the famous Dinagyang Festival.
- Jordan (Philippines) - Provincial capital of Guimaras.
- Kalibo - Provincial capital of Aklan, gateway to the world famous Boracay.
- San Jose de Buenavista - Provincial capital of Antique
- Roxas City - Provincial capital of Capiz.
- Boracay - a highly developed a very popular beach resort area
- Mt. Kanlaon National Park
In the provinces of Negros Occidental, Guimaras and Iloilo, Hiligaynon is predominantly spoken while in Aklan; Akeanon is spoken, Capiznon is spoken in the province of Capiz. Kinaray-a is spoken alone in Antique. Minorities of Cebuano, Tagalog is spoken among the provinces. English is clearly understood by some and spoken by most of the middle and elite class.
- Churches - See the Miag-ao Church which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site in Iloilo, San Sebastian Cathedral(Bacolod Cathedral).