- Pierowall, the main centre, near the north of the island,
- Rapness, the main port at the south end,
Twice daily Loganair flights link Pierowall with Kirkwall. These flights also stop at Papa Westray just across the bay, making it the shortest scheduled flight in the world at just two minutes duration!
A minibus from M&J Harcus +44 1857 677450, can be arranged to meet the ferry at Rapness to take you to Pierowall and vice versa. Telephone in advance or arrange on the ferry.
Cycling is a good way to get around the island. Hire can be arranged by:
- Sand O'Gill, Pierowall, +44 1857 677374.
- Twiness, +44 1857 677319.
- Rapness Manse, Rapness +44 1857 677494.
- Noup Head - impressive cliffs and headland about 4km north-west of Pierowall, home to thousands of nesting birds including Kittiwakes and Puffins during the summer.
- Noltland Castle - attractive ruined castle about 1km west of Pierowall.
- An Artists Studio in Pierowall.
- Visit the Westray Heritage Centre in Pierowall for traditional crafts and local history, plus a small café.
- Bis Geo Hostel (2 km west of Pierowall.), ☎ . Excellent youth hostel, with a lounge/conservatory giving views along the coast.
- The Barn, ☎ . Very good hostel.
- Cleaton House Hotel, ☎ . "Public rooms are decorated like a real home - and that's the atmosphere throughout" and "Food superb every day, imaginative presentation of the best local produce." says the 2006 Good Hotel Guide.
- The Kilnmans Cottage (Pierowall).
- Pierowall Hotel, +44 1857 677208.
Eat & Drink
- Pierowall Hotel. Reputedly the best fish & chips in Orkney, plus other bar & restaurant food.
- Cleaton House Hotel, ☎ . Excellent 4 Star Small Hotel. Superb food in the Bar or the Restaurant. Good choice of fresh local produce, including Organic Salmon, Westray Scallops, North Ronaldsay Lamb fed on seaweed, Westray Crab, Westray Lobster, Westray Beef. Home made desserts including Spiced Poached Pear in Cider, and the renowned Sticky Toffee Pudding with butterscotch sauce, and many more. Pioneer Bar with over 30 Malts to choose from, and a selection of Orkney beers. Enjoy the friendly and relaxed atmosphere here in the not-so-remote North Isles.
There are a couple of mini-markets in Pierowall to stock up in. There is also a potters in Pierowall
- Hume Sweet Home. Knitwear and souvenir shop in Pierowall.
- Papa Westray - get away from it even more on a day trip to the neighbouring island.