Northeast High Country
(Redirected from White County (Georgia))
The Northeast High Country is a sub-region of Georgia's Historic High Country region. The Northeast region of the Georgia High Country consists of the counties that are in the most northeast corner of Georgia. They share borders with Tennessee, North Carolina, and South Carolina. There are many artistan and tourist driven communities in this region including Helen, Blue Ridge, and Clayton.
- Blue Ridge
- Cleveland — Home of the Cabbage Patch Kids.
- Helen — Created to resemble an Alpine Village.
- Mineral Bluff
- Rabun Gap
- Lake Chatuge
- Sautee-Nachoochee Valley - A few miles south of Helen
- Sky Valley Resort
- Unicoi State Park - A few miles north of Helen
- Anna-Ruby Falls in Unicoi State Park
- Black Rock Mountain State Park, 3085 Black Rock Mountain Parkway Mountain City, GA 30562 (3 miles north of Clayton, GA), ☎ . Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains, Black Rock Mountain State Park has the highest elevation in the state park system. The park features spectacular roadside overlooks, hiking trails, a campground, and cottages. $5 per vehicle.
- Brasstown Bald (18 miles from Blairsville by road.), ☎ . 10AM-5PM. At 4,784' Brasstown Bald is the highest point in the state of Georgia. The visitor center is open 7 days a week from April through November. A .6 mile paved trail leads from the parking lot to the visitor center and lookout tower. $5 per person.
- Lake Burton
- Lake Rabun
- Lake Seed
- Lake Tugalo
- Tallulah Gorge State Park, 338 Jane Hurt Yam Dr. Tallulah Falls, GA 30573, ☎ . A state park centered around a canyon 1000' deep and 2 miles long. The park features hiking trails, visitors center, and a campground. $5 per vehicle.
- Yonah Mountain - hiking, camping, rock climbing.
- Appalachian Trail - The most famous trail within the state of Georgia runs 75.2 miles from Springer Mountain to the North Carolina Border near Hiawassee
- Blood Mountain - One of the more scenic mountains in Georgia can be accessed via the Appalachian Trail from Neels Gap or from trails starting in Vogel State Park and Lake Winfield Scott Recreation Area
- Hike to the top of Brasstown Bald
- Coosa Backcountry Tail, 405 Vogel State Park Road Blairsville, GA 30512 (11 miles south of Blairsville), ☎ . This 12.9 mile loop trail begins within Vogel State Park and crosses into the Chattahoochie-Oconee National Forest. A permit is required and can be picked up for free at the state park visitors center. Backcountry camping is allowed along the trail. Hikers should be aware that the trail is rated as very strenuous and make preparations accordingly. $5 per vehicle.
- Duncan Ridge Trail, ☎ . The Duncan Ridge Trail is a 30.1 mile trail that connects the Appalachian Trail at Neels Gap to the Benton MacKaye Trail in Fannin County. The more adventurous can combine all three trails into a loop just over 60 miles long.
- White Twister Trail (Stonewall Falls) (5 miles south of Clayton). The White Twister Trail is a 7.8 mile loop open to foot and mountain bike traffic. The trail meanders along Stonewall Creek and provides access to Stonewall Falls.