Wikivoyage (wikivoyage.org) is a project to create a free, complete, up-to-date, and reliable worldwide travel guide. It is built in collaboration by Wikivoyagers from around the globe. Wikivoyage servers are run by the Wikimedia Foundation, so we're under the same umbrella as Wikipedia, Wiktionary, and other great wiki projects.
Wikivoyage is built with the spirit of sharing knowledge that makes travel so enjoyable. Whenever travellers meet each other on the road, they swap info about the places they came from and ask questions about places they're going. We want to make it easy to share that knowledge and let others share it; our copyleft license means that the facts you know can spread far and wide.
To create Wikivoyage we use a tool (or a process, or a technology) called a wiki which lets any Internet reader create, update, edit, and illustrate any article on the website. We all share our pieces of knowledge, edit them, distill them, and assemble them into a pleasing and cohesive whole. The more people that use the Edit link, the better Wikivoyage becomes.
- "[Crew] wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages. Bitter cold. Long months of complete darkness. Constant danger. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success." -- Apocryphal recruitment poster for 1914 Antarctic expedition of Endurance
Wikivoyagers are travel writers and members of a world-wide community of contributors to Wikivoyage. Wikivoyagers are not a special secret organization or a limited group. We are people just like you. Some of us are interested in travelling, some are interested in their local communities, and others are interesting in wiki-housekeeping and organisation. What all of us have in common is that we want to share what we know with travellers everywhere. You can become a Wikivoyager right now! We need your help to make this project a success. We have a long way to go -- and anything you can do to contribute gets us that much closer.
- Goals and non-goals – what the Wikivoyage community is trying to do (and not trying to do)
- Help – the entry to our documentation
- Namespace index – an index of all the pages in the "Wikivoyage:" namespace
- Press coverage – what the news media have said about Wikivoyage
- Technical details – for the geeks in the audience, a description of the software behind Wikivoyage
- Migration to Wikimedia
- List of related projects
- Wikivoyage and Wikitravel