Travelling to Wirksworth is easy from most directions. There are regular bus services to and from Bakewell, Matlock, Derby, Ashbourne and Sheffield Meadowhall. The town is 11 miles north of Derby, and 4 miles south of Matlock and is located on the B5023 between Duffield and Cromford.
Wirksworth is a small town and as such, it is easy to get around. However, Bolehill and The Haarlem Mill areas are both around 1.5 miles from the town center and it is advisable to get the 6.1 bus to either destinations if you are old or less able to walk. Central Wirksworth is completely walkable.
There are several attractions around the town, including St. Mary's Church, a large cathedral-like building, the Puzzle Gardens - a group of small alleyways and jittys in north-west central Wirksworth - and a Heritage Centre near the Market Place.
- Ecclesbourne Valley Railway, Coldwell Street, DE4 4FB, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Operates from Wirksworth station in the east of the town. Trains run to and from Duffield, near Derby, where they connect with main-line services, and there is a half-mile northern extension to Ravenstor and a public footpath to the National Stone Centre (see 'Go Next', below)
- National Stone Centre, Porter Lane (Approximately 1 mile/1.6 km north of Wirksworth), ☎ . an exhibition and study centre in a disused quarry (part of which has been designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest) where you can learn about the different types of rocks and fossils.
- Derbyshire Eco Centre (Approximately 1 mile/1.6 km north of Wirksworth). the county hub for courses and activities focusing on education for sustainable development. The Peak tors include a number of archeological sites.
- Wirksworth heritage centre, ☎ .
- Carsington Water. For a great family day out: reservoir, activities include: walking, cycling, fly fishing, birdwatching, sailing, canoeing, and windsurfing. . In addition to water sports and a sailing club, there are walking and cycle routes around the reservoir. Cycle hire is available and you can also get refreshments there.Carsington Water
- Wirksworth Festival: 5 - 21 September 2014 . a major celebration of the creative and performing arts. It combines free events, like the gig on the roof (a music festival outside the Hope and Anchor pub), and paying events, and includes the popular Art and Architecture Trail. (date needs fixing)
- Wirksworth Outdoors, 21 St John St. Wirksworth. DE44DR (B5023), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Wirksworth Outdoors is an independent shop selling outdoor clothing, footwear and equipment. Stocks maps and all types of gear associated with hiking, cycling, running and camping.
- Peli Deli, 2 St Johns Street Wiksworth (middle of town, park in market square), ☎ . 8-5. Excellent real coffees, speciality teas, paninis, sandwiches and cakes; plus deli items such as cheese and salami. Also contemporary art (mostly paintings) on display and for sale. Newspapers to read and decent background music £2-£5 plus.
- Hope & Anchor, Market Pl, ☎ .
- Le Mistral Restaurant, 23 Market Place, ☎ .
- Royal Oak, 14 North End.
Wirksworth also has a range of campsites, hotels, youth hostels, and bed and breakfasts.
Wirksworth is located in one of the safest districts in the country. As with all towns, take reasonable precautions at night, especially around the dark alleyways surrounding the town centre.