Woodbury (New Jersey)
Woodbury is the County Seat of Gloucester County in Southern New Jersey. It has a blend of Victorian homes, natural parks, beautiful waterways and recreational facilities that makes this city one of Southern New Jersey's hidden gems.
The City of Woodbury, one of the oldest "small cities" in the United States, had its beginning in 1683 when Henry Wood, a Quaker from Bury, England, settled here. See the Bury, England Website & History.
By 1715 Woodbury had become a Quaker religious center and was a thriving hamlet at the onset of the American Revolution. Given its close proximity to Philadelphia, Woodbury had a significant place in the history of the nation’s birth.
The Red Bank Battlefield, where Fort Mercer is located and where, in 1777, six hundred determined American’s defeated a Hessian force of six thousand, lies just two miles west of Woodbury.
The famous British General Lord Cornwallis, who would later surrender to George Washington at Yorktown, had his headquarters in Woodbury during his advance to capture the City of Philadelphia in 1777.
By the mid-nineteenth century Woodbury had grown considerably and was incorporated as a City in 1854. The City of Woodbury enjoyed its greatest economic and population growth between 1880 and 1900. This was accomplished in large part as a result of the Green family and their patent medicine industry.
Woodbury has been the county seat of Gloucester for over two centuries. The County continues to this day to develop its operational base throughout the City of Woodbury. This fact, along with the growth of Underwood Memorial Hospital, has made Woodbury the legal and medical hub of the immediate vicinity.
Recently, Woodbury has also begun to experience a commercial rebirth owing greatly to the efforts of Woodbury Main Street Inc. Having entered the new millennium, the city of Woodbury is poised to play its appropriate part in enhancing history yet to be recorded.
Buses run from the major cities into Woodbury with bus stops throughout town.
Mostly everything in Woodbury is accessible through walking. Some places may take longer than others but destinations are never impossible to get to by foot in Woodbury.
New Jersey Transit has multiple bus stops throughout the entire City of Woodbury. It is a good possibility that you will find a bus that takes you where you need to go.
It is possible to get anywhere you need to be by car. There are multiple public parking lots located throughout the entire city.
Parks & Features:
Bell LakePark - Located at South Girard St. and Myrtle Ave. -This park provides a nice setting for passive recreation such as fishing, picnicking, reading, sunbathing or simply relaxing. This park is also an ideal setting for outdoor weddings or photographs after a wedding as the park offers a lake with a fountain and footbridges.
Woodbury Creek Park - Located at the foot of Wood St. - This park is ideal for such activities as canoeing, fishing and hiking along the Woodbury Creek. This park also has a footbridge that connects it to Cap Paine Park.
Cap Paine Park - Located at Frances Ave. - This park is home to the Woodbury Little League and the Woodbury High School Varsity Baseball and Softball Teams. This park features the following amenities; five little league fields, one t-ball field, a picnic pavilion, and a tot lot for children between the ages of two and five.
Broad St. Lake - This park is adjacent to the Woodbury Police Station on N. Broad St. It is ideal for fishing and is a favorite location for remote-control boat enthusiast.
Green St. Playground - Located at Green St. and Dare St. -This park offers a small playground for children between the ages of two and five.
Evergreen Ave. Lake - Located at North Evergreen behind Evergreen Square ShoppingCenter - This park is part of the Woodbury Lake System and offers an ideal setting for fishing.
David A. Laverty Sr. Sports Complex-Stewart Park - Located on East Red Bank Ave. adjacent to the YMCA - This park offers a baseball field that is home to the Woodbury High School Junior Varsity Baseball team and a football field home to the Woodbury Steelers youth football league. There is also a boat ramp that provides access to Cooper St. Lake, Evergreen Ave. lake, Hunter St. Lake and Broad St. Lake. This park will under go renovations during the summer/fall of 2005 and spring/summer of 2006. The renovations will provide the following new amenities in 2006: playground, baseball field, combination football/soccer field, skateboarding area, nature trail and boat ramp. This park has an existing picnic area.
Cooper St. Lake-Stewart Park - Located on Cooper St. at the City line - This park provides fishing and is an ideal location for scenic walks along the lake as well as observing wildlife.
Hendrickson Park - Located at S. Evergreen Ave. and Cooper St. -This park is home to the City’s WWII memorial and the Police memorial. This park also features a small arboretum.
World War II Memorial– Hendrickson Park Corner of Cooper Street and Evergreen Avenue
West End Veterans Memorial– Thomas Park Intersection of Glover Street and Salem Avenue
Korean and Vietnam Conflicts Veterans Memorial– Rotary Park East Barber Avenue
Veterans Plaza– South Broad Street Next to the Good Will Store
World War I Dough Boy Monument– North Broad Street Next to County Court House
"People of Peace" Memorial– Gloucester County Justice Complex Hunter Street
Presbyterian Cemetery – historic graves –North Broad Street Next to Woodbury ARC
"Fountain of Life" Memorial- Police Station North Broad Street
American Legion Post 133 Washington Avenue
PFC George Benjamin, Jr. Congressional Medal of Honor Memorial Woodbury Creek Park
Historical Buildings and Sites:
Chew House 436 East Barber Ave., Woodbury The oldest part of this house is the story-and-a-half section at the west with a dormer window breaking the gabled roof line. It was built before 1800 and originally contained two rooms, one behind the other, each with a corner fireplace using a common chimney. The interesting wall construction indicates this was originally a log dwelling built with two-by-twelve inch hand-hewn logs of swamp cedar. (Private)
Deptford Free School Building 33 Delaware Street, Woodbury The Quakers erected this building in 1774 as a one-story school. By 1820 a second story had been added. It is now the eastern-most section of City Hall. City of Woodbury
The Franklin House 44 North Broad Street, Woodbury This one-time log cabin is the oldest house in Woodbury. Ca. 1765, it was owned by Joseph Low. The exterior logs remain intact, but have long since been covered with weather boards. The front door is original as are the exposed beams. One original fireplace still displays the square handmade bricks. (Private)
The General French House 136 South Broad Street, Woodbury Built ca. 1766, this house gained fame during the Civil War because it was owned by a General in the Confederate Army. General Samuel Gibbs French, though born in Mullica Hill, chose to fight on the side of the Confederacy. (Private)
Hunter-Lawrence House 58 North Broad Street, Woodbury Judge John Sparks built the Hunter-Lawrence house in 1765. The Reverend Andrew Hunter, a chaplain in the Revolutionary Army, owned it in 1792, and six years later it became the home of John Lawrence. Lawrence's younger brother, James, lived in the house and received his education in Woodbury. In 1813 James was fatally wounded on the deck of his ship. His dying words, "Don't give up the ship", have since become the watchword of the U.S. Navy. In 1924 the Gloucester County Historical Society purchased the building and has maintained it as an 18-room museum ever since. Gloucester County Historical Society
Low-Cowan House On the southwest corner of Delaware and Horace Streets, Woodbury This brick farmhouse was erected ca. 1770. It has since undergone some architectural changes inside, but the chimneys and gables and brick exterior bear proof of its age. (Private)
The Myrtle Grove House 138 Delaware Street, Woodbury This house was built ca. 1803. The rooms are small and low-ceilinged. One fireplace an the northwest wall remains, as do original panes of glass in many of the windows. It has been owned by members of the Twells and Whitall families. (Private)
The Parish-Moore House 127 North Broad Street, Woodbury Built in the early 19th century, this fine brick home boasts a symmetrical Georgian five-bay facade. The fireplaces in the front of the house are typical of the simple Georgian mantle designs of the Delaware Valley region in the late 18th century. (Private)
The Pillar-Barracks House 46-48 East Barber Avenue, Woodbury The earliest reference on record of the Pillar, or "Barracks" house is dated 1806, but the east section is believed to be much older. The west section of the house was added in the early 1800's and a pillared portico was added to conceal the difference of the roof lines. (Private)
Presbyterian Church at Woodbury Corner of South Broad Street and West Centre Street, Woodbury Founded in 1721, this congregation built the present red brick Church in 1834. The original log structure, located in the Presbyterian Burial Ground on North Broad Street, Woodbury, was used until the Revolutionary War. In November 1777, it was occupied by British troops and afterward thought to be haunted. It fell into decay and a new church was erected a mile south, in the center of Woodbury, in 1834. Church
Red Bank Battlefield On Delaware River northwest of Woodbury and near the junction of U.S. 295, U.S. 130, and N.J. 44 The Pennsylvania Council of Safety (Revolutionary War) erected Fort Mercer here to guard the river approach to Philadelphia from the British. The Hessians under Count von Donop attacked in 1777, but were defeated. County Board of Chosen Freeholders
Seven Stars Tavern Southwest corner of State Highway 45, West Street, 2nd house from corner, Woodbury This old building has been turned into apartments. It should not be confused with the Seven Stars Tavern in Salem County. (Private)
Tatum-Griscom House On Rugby Place, in the east section of Woodbury This old brick home was built in 1745. For many years during the 19th century it was occupied by David Griscom, one of Gloucester County's first nurserymen. Many of the trees, shrubs and rare bushes in this section of the city can trace their beginnings from Griscom's plantings. (Private)
Wilkin's Inn or Paul Hotel Known in 1975 as the Bull's Head Inn, 111 North Broad Street, Woodbury Tradition claims Wilkin's Inn was built with brick left over from erection of Friends' Meeting House. Earliest records of the inn are dated 1737. It is the oldest inn in Gloucester County that has been in continual operation. (Private)
Woodbury Friends Meeting House North Broad Street, Woodbury In the beginning (1686), the "Red Bank Meetings" were held on the Wood estate along Woodbury Creek near the Delaware. The present site was purchased for about three pounds in 1715. The west side was erected 1715, the east side in 1785. During the battle of Red Bank in 1777, the building was used as a hospital by the Hessians
Country Sweets 31 South Broad Street
Ritz Pastry & Coffee Shop 559 North Evergreen Avenue
Candy & Confectionery
Candy From Me To You 605 North Broad Street
The Nut Shoppe 17 South Broad Street
Cheese to Please 55 South Broad Street
Gambi’s Catering 100 South Warner Street
Nicolosi Catering 1 Hessian Avenue
Court House Café – Café bar & more 1 South Broad Street
Caterers Corner Deli 303 West Centre Street
Sophie’s Italian Deli 547 North Broad Street
Woodbury Cold Cut Center 839 North Broad Street
Woodbury Variety & Deli 154 South Broad Street
Acme 631 Mantua Avenue
El Manantial 142 South Broad Street
Heritage Dairy Store 468 Salem Avenue
Heritage Dairy Store 703 North Broad Street
WaWa Food Market 590 Evergreen Avenue
Woodbury IGA Evergreen Plaza
Angelo’s Pizzeria 627 North Broad Street
Domino's Pizza 536 Mantua Avenue
Gia Nina’s Pizza 312 South Evergreen Avenue
Giovanni Italian Style Pizza Evergreen Plaza
Jimmie’s Pizza 555 North Evergreen
LaPiazza DiScotto 40-42 South Broad Street
Philly Steak & Pizzeria 15 Hopkins Street
Woodbury Pizzeria 830 North Broad Street
Asian Village Chinese Restaurant Evergreen Plaza
Charlie Brown’s Steakhouse 111 North Broad Street
Crown Fried Chicken 33 South Broad Street
China House 565 North Evergreen
Colonial Diner 924 North Broad Street
Cooper Express 101 Cooper Street
Courthouse Café (CHC) 5 Delaware Street
El Caribe 12-14 Curtis Street
Gia Nina’s Pizza 312 South Evergreen Avenue
The Spot - "We Hit It Every Time" 43 South Broad Street
Martin's Liquors Woodbury 429 S Evergreen Ave
The Capn's Corner Grille and Bar 455 S. Evergreen Ave.
- The Jersey Shore- Great for relaxing and spending a day with the kids. The Jersey Shore has miles upon miles of endless boardwalk full of amusement games, boardwalk fries, and shopping for people of all ages.
The Jersey Shore in Southern New Jersey consists of 3 major beaches: Cape May, Ocean City, and Wildwood.
- Atlantic City - home to the Donald Trump casinos as well as the Borgata, Caesar's, and several other casinos. The boardwalk also includes "Ripley's Believe It or Not" Museum and a mall for higher class shopping. Atlantic City also has the Atlantic City Outlets where there are stores for people of all ages.
- Philadelphia- a 15 minutes car ride from Woodbury. Events happening all the time, great food, and beautiful things to see. Home of the Philadelphia Eagles, Phillies, Flyers, 76ers, Wings and Union.
- New York City - about a 2 or 2 and a half hour car ride or train ride. A beautiful tourist destination and definitely worth the trip.
- Washington, D.C. - the nation's capital is only about 3 hours away.