There is a frequent train, Euskotren (usually every 30 minutes), which departs from San Sebastian. Note that this is not the same as the Renfe service which connects San Sebastian with major cities in Spain and France. You need to go to a different station altogether. The journey to Zarauz takes 30 minutes.
The Euskotren company also runs buses every hour to Zarauz from San Sebastian. There other buses in summer which arrive in Zarauz from Pamplona.
It takes 15 mins by car to arrive to Zarauz from San Sebastian by the highway A-8 or the toll-free N-634 road, which connects San Sebastian and Bilbao.
It has a fantastic beach, the longest on the coast of Guipuzcoa. The waves rolling in from the Bay of Biscay are a big attraction to surfers. Yearly surf competitions of the pro tour are held on that beach.
Zarauz has many parcs like Vista Alegre and Torre Luzea. The parc of Pagoeta is the most famous one and features 341 different flower species.
Zarauz is a great place for food lovers. There are highly reputed restaurants from world famous cooks like Karlos Arguiñano. There are also many affordable traditional restaurants. In winter time different opening times do apply.
- Baibatzokia Zarautz, Balea Kalea 1-3, 20800 Zarautz, ☎ . Great fish menus
- Karlos Arguiñano Restaurant, c/ Mendilauta, 13 Zarautz (Gipuzkoa) País Vasco 20800, ☎ . 1.30 to 3.30 pm and 8.30 to 11pm. The view from Karlos Arguiñano restaurant is marvelous directly over the beach with good waves for surfers and a small skate park from a terrasse. As starters while waiting one gets pintxos in a relaxed atmosphere.
- Hotel Karlos Arguiñano, c/ Mendilauta, 13 Zarautz (Gipuzkoa) País Vasco 20800, ☎ . The hotel and restaurant share the same place, see the picture for the exterior.
Move along the coast a few miles to the small fishing village of Getaria for wonderful fish restaurants. Everything from grilled sardines, superb turbot to live big crayfish. Well worth a visit.
- San Sebastian -- Beautiful resort with bar counters full of tasty Pintxos (Tapas)
- Bilbao - home of the famous Guggenheim Museum of Modern Art and other architectural masterpieces
- Mundaka - excellent surf spot and medieval port