Zhangye (张掖; Zhāngyè) is a city in Gansu Province.
Zhangye became the garrison headquarters after General Huo established control of the Hexi Corridor. Originally known as Ganzhou, the town was part of the Western Xia dynasty until conquered by Kublai Khan in 1227. Although the city is not a tourist destination as such, it serves as good place to make stop when passing through the Hexi Corridor. Zhangye currently has a population of around 1,250,000. There also live minority Yugu, which is only in Gansu.
Newly built airport 13km south of the city. Currently only has flights on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday to/from Xi'an via Lanzhou.
Zhangye Station at the end of Zhanghuo Gonglu, 6.5km northeast of the central part of town. Approximately 49 passenger train service use this station daily to destinations as far off as Beijing, Chongqing, Chengdu, Urumqi and Lanzhou. However obtaining a ticket on long-distance through trains can be difficult, often requiring travelers buy a ticket to Lanzhou first. A railway ticket office is more conveniently located downtown in Marco Polo Street, for a ¥5 surcharge, negating having to travel out to the station.
Taxis will charge a set fee to the city of ¥12-15 and will be unlikely to use their meters.
Bus No.1 runs from the train station to the centre of town (Drum Tower) and costs ¥1 (correct change only)
East Bus Station is on Huaicheng East Road.
- Wuwei - takes about 3-6 hours
- Lanzhou - takes about 11 hours
South Bus Station is on Huaicheng South Road.
- Dunhuang - takes about 12 hours
- Jiayuguan - takes about 4 hours
- Lanzhou - takes about 10 hours
- Mati Si - takes about 2-3 hours
- Xining - takes about 12 hours
West Bus Station
- Zhangye Danxia Landscape - take about 1.5 hours (¥8.5)
- Xining - takes about 7 hours (¥65)
Take bus No.3 to the West bus station, take bus No. 1 to the train station (Bus fares are ¥1 - correct change only)
By privet car/ bus:
You can book a private car via a travel agency or at the reception of most hotels. A trip to Mati Si + Daxia Landscape cost ¥500.)
- Da Fo Si, 大佛寺步行街, ☎ (0936)6933666. (大佛寺), Giant Buddha Temple, biggest chinese wooden indoor Reclining Buddha. 34.5m long, 7.5m high. This temple is the reputed birthplace for the Mongol emperor, Kublai Khan. ¥41/ ¥21.
- Zhangye Danxia Landscape (By bus from West bus Station). This is a small park about 40km from Zhangye where you can see a unique geological landscape. The layers of multi-coloured rock in the mountains amid a green oasis basin is truly spectacular.
When you visit you will be driven the viewing platforms by bus, where you can get off and take your time to view and photograph the scenery. At the time of my visit many of the platforms & roads were under construction but this didn't defer from the beauty of the place - it was one of the highlights of Gansu province. ¥40 + ¥20 bus fee.
- Blackwater National site (黑水国遗址). In the 12.5 km northwest of the Zhangye. 15 km long from north to south and 10 kilometers long from east to west, ancient cultural sites of the Neolithic period, a national key cultural relics protection units. Sites within the Han Dynasty tombs, about four square kilometers. Most of the tombs have been buried in sand, who have not traveled was buried by the desert, most of the liberation excavation.
- Nanhu Park (南湖公园). Nanhu Park, also known as South Lake Ecological Botanical Garden, located in the south county, is the the Shandan experiment to promote flower species of new varieties of forestry demonstration garden, but it is also a set of historical and cultural landscape of the land and the natural landscape as one of the tour.
- Mati Si Temple & mountain scenery. 65 kilometers south of the city proper, in the Sunan Yugu (Tibetan) Autonomous Prefecture, lies the Mati Temple, or Horse's Hoof Temple, (Mati si). Besides the temple you can do a 2h horse tour passing a fantastic landscape ( horse ride ¥150-200)
- Swim in Hei river
During the day, give Qing Ming Street a try and during the night, give Xiaochichang (Little Eat Market) a try.
- Huayi Hotel (Huayi Binguan), East Street (East of Xiaochichang), ☎ . No English sign or English spoken but easy to find - opposite the pedestrian street, about 100m east of the Drum Tower. (Close to Dico's, next door to the China Construction Bank)
It has two stone lions either side of a revolving doors.
Twin rooms for ¥128 with free (wired) internet, TV, a/c and private bathroom, 24hr hot water.
- Zhongguang Hotel (Zhongguang Zhaodaisuo), Second Floor establishment, Xianfu Street (On the south corner of Minsheng West Street), ☎ .
- Honghao Hotel (Honghao Binguan), 11 Xianfu Street, ☎ .
- Jindu Hotel (Jindu Binguan), 19 East Street, ☎ , fax: +86 936 8245122.
- Zhangye Hotel (Zhangye Binguan), ☎ , fax: +86 936 8213806.
- Huachen International Hotel (Huachen Guomao Binguan), ☎ , fax: +86 936 8277667.
- Mati Temple - in the Tibetian town of Mati, more caves carved into a cliff.
- Qilian mountains
- Zhangye Danxia Landscape - about an hour to an hour and half by bus from the West station.