Zheleznodorozhniy (which translates from Russian as "Railway") is a suburban city 10 kilometres east of Moscow, in the Moskovskaya Oblast (Moscow Region). As the name implies, it is centred on a railway line. The railway station is on the line from Moscow (Kursk Station) to Vladimir. In 1992 the population was 99,300. The city was founded in 1952 from the worker's settlements Obiralovka, Kuchino, and Savvino, and villages Temnikovo and Sergeevka. In 1904 the Aerodynamic Institution was founded in Kuchino - the first in Europe and the second in the world. Scientific work was headed by Professor N. E. Zhukovskiy of Moscow University - the founder of modern aerodynamics. The Aerodynamic Institute gave a start to development of the settlement Kuchino as a centre of geophysical science, and made the city known to the scientific community in Russia and abroad. The building industry is currently the leading industry in modern Zheleznodorozhniy. Zheleznodorozhniy serves as a commuter town for workers in Moscow. Like most such communities, the most noticeable features of it are numerous blocks of high-rise apartments.