Örebro is a modern city located in the small province of Närke in Svealand in south central Sweden. It's on the flat Närke plains, surrounded by vast forest areas. It's Sweden's 7th largest municipality with a population of about 143,000 (2015).
Örebro is located along Svartån (Black river), which runs in a west-east direction before flowing into lake Hjälmaren in the eastern part of Örebro.
Örebro has an enormous castle in the middle of town, which started as a defensive fortress. A lot of people living here work for the public sector, for instance with statistics.
- 1 Örebro airport (ORB IATA) (12 km west of Örebro). Two flights a week from London Stanstead. All other passenger flights are seasonal charters to summer sun destinations.
Örebro is near Hallsberg, which is Sweden's premier train hub. Train connectivity is therefore excellent from all over Sweden.
- 2 Örebro Central railway station (Örebro centralstation), Östra Bangatan 1.
- 3 Örebro Southern railway station (Örebro södra station).
E20, E18 and riksväg 50 all connect in Örebro.
FlixBus and Vy Bus4You offer bus services to and from most major cities.
The city center is easily explored on foot. There is a well functioning network of city buses serving all parts of the city. Almost all regional and city buses stop at Resecenter (next to the train station). Järntorget also functions as a hub for the city buses. The municipality offers bicycles for rent if you wish to explore the city by bike. Enquire at the tourist agency in the castle.
- TaxiKurir Örebro, ☏ +46 19 12 30 30. Smart phone app offers address based routing and calculates price according to them.
- Bolt Örebro. Smart phone app offers address based routing and calculates price according to them.
- 1 Örebro Castle, Kansligatan 1, ☏ +46 19-21 21 21. One of Sweden's most photogenic. Tours are available.
- 2 Örebro city park (Stadsparken). The city park has been voted Sweden's most beautiful, and a visit is recommended in the summertime.
- 3 Wadköping, Bertil Waldéns gata 1. May-Aug 11:00-17:00 daily. Sep-Apr 11:00-16:00 daily. An open-air museum with lots of old cottages.
- A few kilometers from the town center, you can follow a footpath that leads past a number of modern art sculptures. On one end there is a small nature reserve.
- 1 Gustavsvik, Stenbackevägen 4. Northern Europe's largest water funpark. It also has one of Sweden's finest campings and "adventure" miniature golf in its vicinity.
- 2 Watertower Svampen (The Mushroom), Dalbygatan 4. This is a local landmark. It offers panoramic views of the city and hosts the water museum/workshop Aqua Nova.
- 3 Örebro läns museum, Engelbrektsgatan 3. Has exhibits year round.
- 4 Örebro Konsthall, Olaigatan 17B, ☏ +46 19-21 49 00. Displays various art exhibitions.
- The Swedish Chamber Orchestra resides in Konserthuset and holds concerts year round.
- Winter time, go skiing in Storstenshöjden.
- 5 Örebro Flying Club (Örebro FK), Örebro Flygplats 705, ☏ +46 19-241069. At Örebro flying club you can learn how to fly or go parachuting.
There are lots of shopping opportunities in the shopping malls Krämaren and Åhléns and on the streets Drottninggatan, Köpmangatan and Kungsgatan. Nothing that you can't buy everywhere else in Sweden though.
Bra & Begagnat (Standing on the major square, Järntorget, and looking directly west, on your right hand there is a brown building. Between the brown building and a Tex-Mex restaurant there is a small alley called "Gamla Gatan". Down the alley, 50 m on your right.) Open W 14:00-18:00, Sa 10:00-14:00. A second-hand store with a small café serving homemade cakes, buns and cookies. All who work there (wearing yellow shirts) are volunteers, they are friendly and it's very cheap. All profits from the store are donated to charity.
- Sallad Inn, Järnvägsgatan 10. No-nonsense place that serves pizza, salads and meat dishes and does it well. Mains 50-89 kr.
- 1 Rosali's Deli, Rörvägen 1B. Storgatan 5 and Drottninggatan 38. Serves pasta, sublime pasta salads and submarine sandwiches. Mains 60 kr.
- Asian Wok - Sushi bar, Köpmangatan 27. Mains 50-160 kr.
- 2 Drängen, Oskarsvägen 9, ☏ +46 19-32 32 96. Cozy concept restaurant with old farmer's tools on the walls, but the food has a more modern touch to it. Mains 100-200 kr.
- 3 Restaurang Ksara, Bärnstensvägen 2 (In the suburb of Lundby), ☏ +46 19 200111. Authentic Lebanese food.
- 4 Cantina N3, Näbbtorgsgatan 3. Upscale Italian restaurant.
Best days out are generally Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
- 1 Frimis Salonger, Frimurareholmen (On a small island in the river), ☏ +46 19-14 05 00. Saturdays. A night club 120 kr entry.
You can pick up the free Nollnitton magazine in various stores to read more about Örebro's nightlife. It is only available in Swedish though.
- 1 STF Vandrarhem Livin, Järnvägsgatan 22, ☏ +46 19-31 02 40. Completely renewed youth hostel, look for the sign of the Ramada Hotel. Make sure you have a HIHostel card or you'll pay a 50 kr surcharge. Other than that, very good facilities and fantastic common kitchen. Dorm bed: 250 kr.
- 2 Örebro City Vandrarhem, Tunnelgatan 3, ☏ +46 19-611 11 44. Nice, clean little Hostel. Free WLAN & Bicycles. Dorm bed: 170 kr.
- 3 Hotell Göta, Olaigatan 11, ☏ +46 19-611 53 63.
- 4 Hotell Storgården, Fredsgatan 11, ☏ +46 19-12 02 00.
- 5 Clarion Hotel Örebro, Kungsgatan 17, ☏ +46 19-670 67 00.
- 6 Best Western City Hotel, Kungsgatan 24, ☏ +46 19-601 42 00.
- 7 Elite Stora Hotellet, Drottninggatan 1, ☏ +46 19-15 69 00.
- 8 Livin Station, Östra Bangatan 3, ☏ +46 19-31 02 40. Small boutique hotel next to the railway station.
Örebro is not a dangerous town, although that is no excuse to leave your common sense at home.
- Nora - a historical city with many beautiful wooden buildings. It is an easy daytrip from Örebro with the help of public transportation. In the summer time, it is very pleasant to take a boat trip on Norasjön (Nora lake).
- Karlskoga - Alfred Nobel moved to this town after he returned from his adventures around Europe.
|Routes through Örebro|
|Oslo ← Karlskoga ←||W E||→ Arboga → Stockholm|
|Göteborg ← Mariestad ←||W E||→ Arboga → Stockholm|