Ada Afoah is on the Ghanaian Coastal Plain.
Ada once bloomed as a trade center due to its prime location on the Atlantic Coast and Volta River, which allowed products to be moved from the interior expediently for shipment. It started off as a Dutch colonial acquisition around 1775. Then the Danes came in and established a fort called Fort Kongenstein to secure their interests against local tribes. By the end of the 19th century, the British took over and made their imprint with palm oil and rubber production.
But eventually, cocoa became the main export, which was largely transported by land, and a hydroelectric dam was built up the Volta, so that ships could no longer travel upriver far. As a result, Ada languished.
Ada Afoah is about 100 km west of the capital Accra, along national road N1.
- 1 Songor Lagoon Protected Area, ☏ . A Ramsar natural wetland site and lagoon with salt deposits. It is somewhat undeveloped but a good place for wildlife viewing, especially substantial bird migration activity during the European winters. There are also guided sea turtle walks and boat rides.
- 2 Keta Lagoon Protected Area. Another important natural wetland area.
Unfortunately, Fort Kongenstein largely washed into the sea, but there is a well-preserved fort a little east of Ada in Keta called Fort Prinzenstein:
- 3 Fort Prinzenstein, Keta, ☏ . 06:00-18:00. A World Heritage property, this fort was set up by the Danish for purposes of the slave trade.
Ada still has a reputation for some fine beaches both along the Atlantic as well as along the Volta River.
- 1 Aqua Safari Resort (about 10 km north of Ada, on Volta River), ☏ . Multi-themed resort with water park, petting zoo, horseback/donkey rides, jet skiing on the Volta River, and other activities.
- 1 Aqua Safari Resort (about 10 km north of Ada, on Volta River), ☏ . Resort-experience with pools, river activities, and dining.
- 2 Treasure Island Ghana, ☏ . Another resort with themed rooms and pools on a riverfront setting.
These are further upriver:
- 3 Sogakope Beach Resort, ☏ . Volta River resort
- 4 Holy Trinity Spa & Health Farm, ☏ . This Volta River resort has peacocks and crocodiles.