Akure is in Southwest Nigeria. Akure is the capital of Ondo State and headquarters of the Akure Kingdom. It is the largest city in the state, with a population of about 570,000 (2011).
It is said to have been founded by the great-grandson of the Yoruba divine king Oduduwa. The palace is in the center of town, and was built around 1150AD. Akure is also the home of the respected Federal University of Technology, Akure, and of a peaceful tapestry of backgrounds in its people. There is a sizable presence of restaurants and stores. The Alagbaka district of the city is home to the Ondo State Government House which includes the Governor's office and the residence of members of State Executive Council.
Akure is the host of different tertiary institutions such as: the Federal University of Technology Akure, Federal College of Agriculture, School of Nursing and Midwifery and School of Health Technology.
- Oba Ile
- Ayedun Quarters
- Ijapo Estate
- Alagbaka — one of the most expensive areas in Akure, and home to the governor's house of Ondo State.
- Avenue and Idofin
Akure is situated in the tropic rainforest zone in Nigeria.
Akure is the trade center for a farming region where cocoa, yams, cassava, corn, and tobacco are grown. Cotton is also grown and used to weave cloth. Grains like rice, beans, and millet are very common as they are the major sources of carbohydrates.
Akure is about 700 km (430 mi) Southwest of Abuja and 311 km (193 mi) north of Lagos State.
There are commercial vehicles moving from one end of the city to the other for easy transportation. There are various bus terminus and bus-stops in Akure for travellers to various parts of the country Nigeria, the most popular ones are old garage, New garage, Benin garage, and Ado garage.
- 2 Deji of Akure Palace. The Deji of Akure’s palace is the traditional home of the town’s ruler.
- 3 Cave Ashes. The Cave Ashes is located in Isharun, which is referred to as the home of the oldest pre-historic man in West Africa. Its skeleton was discovered by Professor Thurstan Shaw – who was at the University of Ibadan at the time.
- 4 Ebomi Lake Tourist Centre. The Ebomi Lake Tourist Centre is located in Ipesi in Akoko South-East and is not far from Akure. Tourist can come here and discover a things from the culture of the people. A lot of people are always coming here for relaxation and to explore nature.
- 5 Igbokoda. The Igbokoda waterfront is one of the longest body of water in the country. The vast stretch of water makes for an exciting fishing expedition and the scenery is beautiful.
- 1 Idanre Hill Peak (take Akure-Idanre Road out of Akure to location). Located about 25 km outside of Akure, this popular hiking destination allows you to ascend 667 steps to an elevation of nearly 3000 feet, among dome-like hills that are steeped in folklore and listed as a tentative UNESCO World Heritage Site due to its presence of prior human habitation. Here you can find the Owa's (king's palace), Belfry, Old Court, Agboogun footprint, shrines, etc., and the scenery is really quite awe-inspiring. You may have to pay a "guide" at the entrance, but there is no need to book ahead.
- 2 Egungun Festival. The Egungun festival is a part of the Yoruba traditional religion. It is performed to mark the death of important personalities, the festival is common among the Egbas, Egbados, Oyo and other parts of South West Nigeria. The festival is usually an annual celebration performed within the months of November to April when there is no rain, with the belief that their ancestor should not have to suffer in the rain.
- 3 Igbo Olodumare. This place is at Oke Igbo and has an evergreen forest that is beautiful and thick. You can shoot movies here, have a picnic and generally do other fun things here. You will most possiblly be meeting a lot of persons out there who are also visiting here to have an awesome moment.
- Akure Recreational Club, Alagbaka, Akure. 8AM-6PM (Monday-Friday).
Akure have many colourful markets where various items that ranges from food item to household wares, kitchen utensils among others.
- Ijapo Market Akure: This is a very popular market where virtually everything can be bought. Varieties of goods ranging from food stuffs to building materials and so many other things are being sold in this market.
There are so many supermarkets that deal on groceries, food items, beverages, beauty products, cosmetics, kitchen utensils, household wares, fashion items, baby items, gift item among many others. Some of these supermarkets include:
- 1 Cedars of Gold Supermarket, 54a Oba Adesida Road, ☏ . M-Sa 8AM – 8:30PM. Cedars of Gold Supermarket is a grocery store.
- 2 O.U.K Supermarket, No. 31 Oyemekun Rd, opp. Wema Bank, ☏ . M-Sa 8AM – 9PM.
- NAO supermarket, Oba Adesida Road. It opens from Monday to Saturday, 9AM-9PM. ☏
- [www.dupsondelink.com ], 19 Irowo St., ☏ .
In Akure, there are a lot of restaurants and eateries that serves their customers with continental cuisines such as rice, soups, grilled pepper chicken, Nigerian grilled fish and other meals.These restaurants and eateries include:
- 1 Chicken Republic, Oba Adesida Road, Alagbaka (close to First Bank Alagbaka), ☏ . Chicken Republic is a fast food restaurant that sells local and continental dishes.
- 2 Obioma Prestigious Restaurant, No. 32b Arakale Road beside Aromeds Pharmacy, ☏ , . M-Sa 7AM-10PM. Obioma Prestigious Restaurant is a reputable restaurant known for offering healthy delicious tasty African and Continental dishes thus provides professional timely outdoor & indoor catering services.
- 3 Captain Cook, Opposite First Bank, Alagbaka Cl, Alagbaka, ☏ . Daily 7AM-10PM.
- Madam Vicky Restaurant, Akure Shopping Centre, Alagbaka Road, Alagbaka. It opens M-Sa 7AM-5PM. Customer care line: +234 803 353 8740.
- 4 Tantalizer, No. 125 Oba Adesida Road, ☏ . M-Sa 7AM-9PM.
- Fingerlicking Restaurant, No. 23, Gbogi Street, by Bolton Hotel, Off Oyemekun Road. Fingerlicking Restaurant has Club and Bar and it provides its customers services in indoor and outdoor catering, local and intercontinental cuisine, bar and drink services. Their sport bar has a wide range of wines and spirits. It opens Monday to Saturday 7AM-5PM. Customer care lines: +234 815 594 0705, +234 903 517 8705, +234 806 066 1102.
- 5 Amala Skot Alagbaka, Opposite First Bank, Alagbaka Cl, ☏ . Daily 7AM-10PM.
- Aristo Games and Bistro, Oba Ile Road. It serves local and continental cuisines such as rice, soups, grilled pepper chicken, Nigerian grilled fish and other meals in a modest setting with cold drinks while enjoying different kinds of games. Customer care line: +234 806 015 4792.
- Chinyere Restaurant, Km 18, Along Akure - Owo Express way, beside Ade Peter's filling station , Ayede - Ogbese. This is a redefined professionally managed restaurant affiliated to Kingben and it is reputable for delivering mouth watering delicious, healthy meals at pocket friendly rates. Customer care lines: +234 703 905 9163.
- Diet Field Restaurant, Atilade Street, Oshokoti Layout by Babalola Junction. This restaurant is a modern eatery that serves home made, delicious and affordable continental cuisines which includes fried rice with chicken, jollof rice, spiced noodles, ice cream, and bakes.Customer care line: +234 703 672 0026.
- Dream Centre Restaurant, Shoprite Mall. Dream Centre Restaurant is an intercontinental and oriental restaurant in Akure offering food services such as pizza, burger, Italian Gelato ice-cream and Nigerian cuisines. Customer care line: +234 805 086 5087.
- Enny'z Kitchen, Afunbiowo Estate Oke aro. Enny'z Kitchen is one of the redefined Nigerian restaurants in Akure offering tasty, healthy and delicious native, African and continental dishes at affordable in a neat comfortable environment. Customer care line: +234 903 170 0462.
- Iya Saheed Alamala Restaurant, No 79B Isolo Street. This also called Iya Saheed Food Canteen and it is a food joint that serves visitors and tourists all kinds of Nigerian foods with an outstanding taste in menu which include amala, fufu, pupuru, eba, and iyan. Customer care line: +234 903 395 4602
- LAH Kitchen and Lounge, Dome Event Center premises, Igbatoro Road. It is established with the hope to redefine culinary service and to deliver top notch food service satisfaction to our customers. Customer care line: +234 813 548 8544, +234 708 778 9926.
- Rock Land Spot, Agape Road, by FUTA Road before FUTA Junction. It is a good chilling spot and local restaurant that maintains promptness in order while serving their customers with different food menu which include soup and swallow, spiced meat, pepper soup, point & kill fish, drinks and others. Customer care line: +234 803 291 6461.
- Tass Foods, No 5. Opposite D'Johnson Hotel behind National Bank, Adegbola. It offers varieties of delicious and affordable African and continental dishes in quite comfortable environment Customer care line: +234 810 393 8170.
- 1 Otolori bar arena akure, Isolo St, ☏ . Daily 10AM-11PM. Offers the best catfish pepper soup and pepper Pomo with chilled drinks of different brands.
- 2 17 59 Bar, Tisco Building, Alagbaka Qtrs, Alagbaka, ☏ .
- 3 ExtraCool Restaurant and Bar, No. 265 & 266 Ondo - Akure Rd, ☏ .
- 4 Iya Ikale Beer Parlour, Igbalaye St, ☏ . Daily 11AM-9:30PM.
- The stream bar, Block XLT, Alagbaka.
- 1 Royal Birds Hotel & Towers Akure, 6 Ola Akadiri St, Alagbaka, ☏ . Why not go all out and stay at a prime place in the high-end Alagbaka area? Pool, hotel tower, fitness center, restaurant with breakfast. High customer satisfaction on Google. one site said ₦17000, best inquire personally.
- 2 Sunview Hotel Ltd, 8 El-Shaddai Road Alagbaka G.R.A. A 4-star hotel that offers an outdoor swimming pool for relaxation and recreation, a well-equipped gym, an onsite restaurant, a well-stocked bar, a playground fitted with swings and bouncing castles for children. Sunview Hotel has a conference and outdoor event centre to host meetings and events respectively. an onsite supermarket, beauty salon, live entertainment at the lobby lounge and pool terrace, 24/7 security, free parking and ATM/cash machine. A room ranges as low as ₦10,000 and as high as ₦150,000.
- 3 Stateline Hotel Head Quarters, 12 Stateline Rd, Plot 25 Off FUTA road, Folahan Close, ☏ . Check-in: noon, check-out: noon. Rooms in the hotel are categorised into Single, Single Deluxe, Double and Double Deluxe. Each room features a comfortable bed, air conditioner, flat-screen TV, worktable, wardrobe and an en-suite bathroom fitted with a bathtub. Stateline Hotel offers amenities like an ample parking space, an on-site restaurant and a bar with adequate security for guests. Babies and kids are allowed to stay for free. ₦3,000 for a room and up to ₦5,000.
- 4 Royal Parklane Hotel, 56/59 Fajuyi Street, Ijapo Estate. A 2-star budget hotel that provides affordable accommodation to tourists and business travellers in the city. Each room has a king-size bed, a flat-screen TV, a refrigerator, a private bathroom en-suite, an air conditioner, a set of table and chair and a bedside safe. All rooms at Royal Parklane hotel are fully equipped with free Wi-Fi internet access, bar/lounge offers guests a wide variety of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, a fully-equipped fitness centre/gym, 24-hour room service, a 24-hour front desk service, daily newspaper supply and laundry services, uninterrupted power supply and adequate parking space are guaranteed for guests at the hotel.
- Flourish Hotel, Plot 14 Block XLI GRA Alagbaka. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: noon. Each room in Flourish Hotel Akure features a flat-screen television with satellite channels, refrigerator, air conditioner, Intercom system, a minibar, plush bed, a work table and chair, wardrobe, free Internet access and a private bathroom with water heating system. General facilities include an on-site restaurant, the well-stocked bar that provides guests with a wide selection of both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, a Suya Spot and Pastry shop, 24 hours front desk service, safety deposit boxes, luggage storage, laundry services, car rental and taxi pickup services, CCTV, adequate parking space and security. ₦9,000 - 50,000 per night.
- 5 Cozy Resort and Suites, No 1 New Song Lane, Akin Akingbola Street, Alagbaka GRA, Akure South. Check-in: noon, check-out: noon. Guests can enjoy a private view of the hotel. At Cozy Resort and Suites, every room has a work desk, an air conditioner, a refrigerator, and a stand-in shower. Other services available at the hotel are a bar, a restaurant on-site, room service, laundry/dry cleaning, airport shuttle services on request, free for children, free cancellation, and no pets. ₦9,700-23,000 per night.
- 6 Bliss World Resorts And Hotel, 40 Henry Fajemirokun Avenue, Plot 20 Block 1, Ijapo Estate. Check-in: noon, check-out: 1PM. Rooms at Bliss World Resorts and Hotel are air-conditioned and furnished with luxury beddings, flat-screen TV sets, mini-fridges, tea/coffee facilities, chairs and desks. The bathrooms are en-suite with shower cubicles and a Jacuzzi. The Royal and Business Suite offers includes comfortable chairs, a personal digital safe, a separate sitting area and free internet access. Other general facilities added are a spa, beauty shop, event halls, a business centre, gift shop, a gym, an outdoor swimming pool, laundry/dry cleaning, car hire, a bar and lounge, a restaurant, airport shuttle, bike hire and ironing services. ₦9,000-25,000 per night.