South America > Peru > Altiplano (Peru)
The Puno region & Lake Titicaca are considered to be the cradle of the Inca civilization. This area is occupied mainly by Aymara people, but there are also Quechua Populations mainly living on the Islands at Lake Titicaca. Lake Titicaca provides a unique microclimate which allows agriculture in the surrounding areas, impossible in other zones of the same altitudes.
Daily flights from Lima, Cusco and Arequipa.
- Living cultures: Uros floating Isles, Taquile & Amantani Islands,
- Archaeological sites: Sillustani Tombs. Visit Aramu Muru, considered by local shamans as an inter-dimensional gate.
- Colonial Churches and picturesque villages: Lampa, Juli and Pomata
- Nature: Impressive landscapes, the highest navigable lake on Earth, South American camelids
A perfect place for completing a journey to the Southern Andes as an extension to Cusco. Arrive at Juliaca airport or Puno train station, get acclimatized on the first day and get ready for exploring Lake Titicaca on the next day. Use the next days for visiting colonial churches and archaeological sites.
Canoeing, mountain biking, hikes, bird watching.
- Fresh trout from Lake Titicaca