South America > Brazil > Southeast (Brazil) > Espírito Santo > Central (Espírito Santo) > Anchieta (Espírito Santo)
Anchieta is a town on the central coast of Espírito Santo.
Anchieta evolved from the village of Iriritiba founded by a Spanish Jesuit and writer, Father José de Anchieta, in 1561. Anchieta loved walking, and twice a month, he made a round trip journey to the island of Vitória, 105 km away, stopping in Guarapari and some other places along the way to rest. Nowadays, many tourists and pilgrims make this same journey on foot, in homage to the famed writer.
- BR-101 passes through town from Cachoeiro de Itapemirim and Campos dos Goytacazes in the south, and from Guarapari and Vitória to the north
- ES-060 - crosses the coastal part of town, from Piúma and Itapemirim in the south, and from Guarapari and Vitória to the north
- The Jorge Feres Highway connects from Piúma to BR-101 about 4 km south of downtown
- Anchieta Sanctuary (Santuário de Anchieta).
- Igreja Matriz Nossa Senhora da Assunção. Built under Father José Anchieta, it was probably not finished when he died in 1597. The grounds contain both the church and the old residence where the priests lived, which now houses the Anchieta National Museum.
- Mt. Urubu. 332-meter peak to the east of downtown.
- Rio Salinas Ruins. Ruins composed of 32 columns and some foliage-covered walls. The builders and purpose of the structure remain a mystery.
- River Park (Parque Fluvial).
- Black Sand Beach (Praia da Areia Preta).
- Castelhanos Beach (5 km from the city center).
- Iriri Beach. The highest concentration of beachside hotels.
- Mãe-Bá (18 km from the city center).
- Parati. This beach has a small fishing village.
- Ubu Beach.
- Cabeça Quebrada.
- Cafundó Falls (Cachoeira do Cafundó).
- Luz Falls (Cachoeira da Luz).
- . Anchieta has one of the largest Carnavals in the state, with two main areas of celebration: one in the city center, and the other at Castelhanos Beach.
- Seafood Festival (Festival de Frutos do Mar), Balneário Iriri. October.
|Routes through Anchieta|
|Campos dos Goytacazes ← Iconha ←||S N||→ Guarapari → Cariacica|