This is a calendar of events and festivals for the month of April.
Events in April
What is going on in:
- Festival de Cannes: 13-24 May 2015 Cannes. The most famous film festival in the world takes place in mid-May every year. The worlds biggest celebrities are on hand to walk the red carpet, and thousands of films are screened in the festival and the Marché du Film, the world's biggest film market. (date needs updating)
- Kanamara Matsuri (金まら祭り): 5 April 2015 Kawasaki. also known as the Festival of the Steel Phallus (date needs updating)
- Cherry Blossom Festival: April annually . held throughout Japan, with Kyoto and Yoshino being the best locations.
- Thingyan Water Festival: 13-17 April annually .
- Simfonia Lalelelor: 22-24 April annually .
- National Science Festival: 18-24 March 2015 Grahamstown. (date needs updating)
- Cheese Festival: 25-27 April 2015 . Normally held on one of the cheese/wine farms surrounding Paarl (date needs updating)
- Pink Loerie Mardi Gras: 27 April - 1 May 2017 Knysna. gay festival
- Lusito Land Festival: 24 April - 3 May 2015 Johannesburg. annual fund raiser event for the Mentally and Physically Handicapped with a distinct Portuguese flavour, at Wemmer Pan in Johannesburg (date needs updating)
- Grand National: 11 April 2015 Liverpool. at Aintree Racecourse (date needs updating)
- London Marathon: 26 April 2015 London. (date needs updating)
- Edinburgh Science Festival: 4-19 April 2015 Edinburgh. (date needs updating)
- Merrie Monarch Festival: 5-10 April 2015 Hilo. (date needs updating)
- Cherry Blossom Festival: 20 March - 12 April 2015 Washington, D.C.. (date needs updating)
- Boston Marathon: 20 April 2015 Boston. the world's oldest marathon held annually (date needs updating)
- New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival: 24 April - 3 May 2015 New Orleans. (date needs updating)
- Kentucky Derby Festival: 18 April - 1 May 2015 Louisville. (date needs updating)
- Carnival: 1 May 2015 U.S. Virgin Islands. (date needs updating)
National public holidays and religious dates in April
Date to be aware of when travelling.
- ANZAC Day: 25 April annually Australia. a public holiday in Australia and New Zealand. Dawn and morning commemorative services at war memorials and other places in both countries as well as in Gallipoli in Turkey.
- Buddha's birthday: 4 May 2015 Cambodia. The Buddha's birth, enlightenment and passing beyond life and death are all celebrated in Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Sri Lanka and Thailand, on the 15th day of the 6th month of the lunar calendar - which is usually in April according to the Gregorian calendar. (date needs updating)
- Sham El-Nesseem (Coptic:Ϭⲱⲙ ̀ⲛⲛⲓⲥⲓⲙ) (Arabic:شم النسي): April 17th in 2017. A national holiday of Egypt that occurs after Easter (Eastern Orthodox) in which all Egyptians, regardless of religion, don brightly colored clothing and head to public gardens, parks, zoos and national monuments. Many people have picnics, color and eat eggs, eat special fermented fish (feseekh) and enjoy the spring weather. The date changes from year to year, depending on the calendar of the Coptic Church.
- Vappuaatto (Walpurgis Night): 30 April annually Finland.
- Walpurgis Night: 30 April annually Sweden.
- Golden Week: 29 April - 5 May 2015 Japan. an extremely popular time to travel — best avoided as transport and accommodations are often booked solid. (date needs updating)
- King's Day: 27 April annually Netherlands. Formerly Queen's Day, now King's Day, the birthday of King Willem-Alexander of Orange-Nassau is the reason for the Dutch people to celebrate. If 27 April is a Sunday, King's Day will be celebrated the Saturday before because many Christians still consider Sunday a resting day. Wear orange clothing, go to Amsterdam (or elsewhere if you're afraid of crowds) and stroll through the city centre for bargains. Expect the Dutch to be funny and weird on this day, some will try to sell you trash they found in their attic.
- Freedom Day: 27 April annually South Africa. Public holiday in South Africa. In celebration of South Africa's first non-racial democratic elections in 1994.
- Chakri Memorial Day: 6 April annually Thailand. is a public holiday
- Songkran (สงกรานต์): 13-15 April 2015 Thailand. is the Thai New Year (celebration dates are fixed, but vary slightly regionally) (date needs updating)
|Calendar of events and festivals|
|January | February | March | April | May | June|
|July | August | September | October | November | December|