Jump to navigation Jump to search
From US Highway 50 (the Loneliest Road in America), take Nevada State Route 487 five miles to downtown Baker.
Baker is small, but to get to the various hotels and attractions, you will need to drive several miles.
- Baker Archaeological Site. Former Indian village. However, most of the remains of the village have been removed, so there is not a lot to see at the archaeological site.
- 1 Great Basin National Park. 80,000 acres, alpine snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, and miles of hiking from easy to rigorous. Mt. Wheeler is here at 13,063 feet with camping in a rural community of 52 people.
- Lehman Caves, also in the park.
Buy, eat and drink
- 1 Stargazer Inn (formerly Silver Jack Inn), 115 S Baker Avenue, ☏ . 6:30AM-9PM for the bar and restaurant. The resort has a motel, the Stargazer Inn, and a full service bar and restaurant called Kerouac's, serving revamped American cuisine in a rustic environment. The bar serves local beers. There is also a bakery, deli, grocery store including produce, meats and cheeses, eggs, milk and bacon, a bookstore and an art-antiques-crafts Gallery. Also DVD rentals for HiDef TVs with DVD slots. On the site is also an art, antique, and crafts (mostly local) gallery. Wi-Fi is free for room and restaurant customers.
- 2 T & D's, 1 Main St, ☏ . 4PM-7:30PM in the restaurant; longer hours for the general store. T & D's is a two-part store and restaurant. The part of the building that faces the road is a store with food and drink items. The other part of the building is a restaurant and bar. Both are operated by the same people.
- 1 End of the Trail...er, End of Page Ave (SW corner of Baker Townsite), ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Two-bedroom guesthouse with kitchenette, large bath and private deck with unobstructed view of Great Basin National Park. One bedroom has a queen-sized bed, the other a twin-sized bed. Comfortable for 1-3 guests. A unique artist's retreat that is clean and quiet. Season: May 1 through September 30th. No smoking and no pets. $65-85.
- 2 Hidden Canyon Retreat, 2000 Hidden Canyon Parkway (Drive to Garrison, Utah, and turn right on the dirt track at sign pointing to the retreat. The dirt track is several miles long and crosses a mountain pass before descending into the canyon. There's an intersectiont the end of the dirt road. If you turn to the right, it takes you to some private residences and the check-in office; if you turn to the left, it takes you to the lodging area. Because the road is a mountainous dirt track, the Retreat recommends that you do not take the dirt road to the retreat during nighttime or late evening.), ☏ . This former ranch has been converted into a retreat community. The main lodging building is near a creek called "Big Wash", and there are several other buildings, including a dining hall and some historic cabins. There are also a couple private residences at the retreat. You can explore the retreat’s grounds while you lodge there, although the cabins are historic and should not be entered. Also on the grounds are some fields and ponds along the Big Wash. In the lodging area is a games room along with some other facilities. You can stay at the retreat for several nights or just one night, and the retreat works well as a base point if you want to explore Lehman Caves or climb Mount Wheeler.
- 3 Border Inn Casino, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Great Basin National Park - Wheeler Peak and Lehman Caves can be found within this national park near Baker.
- Western Utah - Baker is a few miles from the Nevada-Utah state line, and Western Utah is just over the state line.
|Routes through Baker|
|END ← Jct W E ←||N S||→ becomes → Jct N S|
|END ← Great Basin N.P. ←||W E||→ END|