Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Closest airport is in São Luís. Litorânea has a weekly turboprop to São Luís and another to Fortaleza via Parnaíba and Camocim. Air taxis can be arranged through agencies.
- Taxis to São Luís leave as soon as they are full, 3–4 hours, R$140 (4 people). Many in the morning, few locals will ride along after dark. Note that a taxi can take considerably longer than a bus depending on where your fellow passengers want to be dropped off.
- Four buses a day from São Luís from the Rodoviaria, 06AM–08:45AM-02PM–07:30PM, 4 hours 1/2, 29 R$, Cisne Branco company.
- Vans do the same route as the buses to São Luís
- Several daily pick-up trucks to Paulino Neves, with onward connections to Tutóia and Parnaíba, R$13, 2,5 hours.
- Daily boat to Atins via Mandacaru (also stops in Caburé upon request) around 9AM. 4 hours, 5 R$. Returns well after dark, depending on tide.
By other means
- Arrange transport to the dunes, and then walk some 27 km across to Atins. This can be done in a day, or with camping half way.
- Agencies can arrange for a combination of water and overland transport, typically to Parnaíba or Jericoacoara.
Mostly walkable. Otherwise a mototaxi will take you anywhere for R$3.
- Preguiças Lighthouse (Farol de Preguiças), Mandacaru.
- Terraços do Preguiça, Beira Rio. Varied menu, mostly seafood. Dishes for two at around R$40.
- Ressaca, At main square. Good selection of burgers, and some fingerbits.
There is something most every day, but locations shift. Ask around.
- Chill on one of the stalls along the riverfront boardwalk.
Beds in the center are fairly expensive, with one outstanding exception:
- Pousada Gomes (Around the corner from the Mototaxis). Very basic, shared bathrooms. Single R$10.
- Pousada do Porto (Riverfront some 300 metres upriver from the boardwalk.), ☏ . Double with fan R$40. Also air con..
- Pousada Belo Horisonte, Avenida Joaquim Soeiro de Carvalho (Next to bus station). Overpriced. Single R$50.
- Posada Lins, Avenida Joaquim Soeiro de Carvalho (By the mototaxi stand). Bright and clean, spacious bathrroms, courtyard with small pool and hammocks. Single R$60.
- Pousada Lagoa Bonito is at the top of the sanddune where there is a great view of the marina ..... double with fan and good breakfast for R$40.
Slow internet at R$2–3 an hour.
- Many agencies offer trips to the dunes, mostly leaving at 9AM or 2PM, returning 5 hours later, R$50 per person. A bumpy ride of an hour or so takes you to either Lagoa Bonita (reportedly better views) or Lagoa Azul, where a guide will walk you around. In theory it is possible to do both sites in one day, but this requires a special arrangement with some agency, as the trip proves too exhausting for most mortals. The afternoon might be preferred due to weaker sun, more shadows playing and a chance to see the sunset.
- Another daytrip on offer is with a boat down the river Preguiça, to Atins, Mandacaru and/or Caburé. Unless you are in a hurry, it is recommended to stay overnight, or use one of these places as a stopover en route to Paulino Neves or Parnaíba.
- Four buses a day to São Luís, 06AM–09AM-02PM–06:30PM, 4 hours 1/2, 28 R$, Cisne Branco company.