Jump to navigation Jump to search
Beigan (北竿; Běigān) is an island in the Matsu region of Taiwan.
Information about the island, attractions, and other services can be found at the 1 Beigan Visitor Center (北竿遊客中心). .
- 1 Beigan Airport (馬祖北竿機場), ☏ +88683656606. Uni-Air operates flights between Beigan and Songshan airport in Taipei. There are 3 flights per day from Beigan to Taipei, departing at 09:15, 13:50, and 16:40. Tickets are approximately NT$2,000.
- 2 Baisha Harbor (白沙港). The harbour runs a ferry service between Beigan and Nangan islands.
Culture and history
- 1 Beihai Tunnel (北海坑道), ☏ +88683622177. 08:30-17:00. The tunnel was created in 1968 for amphibious landing, 10 years after the end of the Second Taiwan Strait Crisis between the Republic of China Armed Forces and the People's Liberation Army. The construction lasted for around 3 years and claimed the lives of over 100 soldiers. After the Matsu National Scenic Area Administration was established, it took over the management of the tunnel. It renovated the interior of the tunnel and neighboring tourist spots, building an access road and protective railings.
- 2 War and Peace Memorial Park Exhibition Center (戰爭和平紀念公園主題館), ☏ +88683625631. 08:30-17:30. The area around the center used to be the Stronghold #12 during the Chinese Civil War. The center displays history about Matsu under military rule, from the origins, chronology of military events, military items and military-citizens social culture display areas.
- 3 Baima Zunwang Temple (白馬尊王廟). A small free-standing temple. The name means 'White Horse King'.
- 4 Nushuai Temple (女帥宮), ☏ +88683655426. A small brown stone temple.
- 5 Shuibu Shangshugong Temple (水部尚書公府), ☏ +88683655566. A large temple located very close to the airport.
- 6 Pingshui Zunwang Temple (平水尊王廟), ☏ +886932107945. A larger temple located close to the Baisha harbour.
- 7 Qinbi Tianhou Temple (芹壁天后宮), ☏ +88683655004. A temple to the goddess of seafarers Tianhou, also commonly called 'Mazu' in Taiwan and Japan.
- 8 Turtle Island (龜島). The island composes of granite rock which rises above sea water level. Its cracked surface makes it look like a gigantic turtle resting in the sea.
- 1 Daqiu Island (大坵島). Accessible during peak season by ferry, boats can also be chartered to get there during the off-season. The island is now uninhabited and is known for its population of Formosan sika deer.
- 1 Qinbi Mediterranean Hostel (芹壁地中海民宿), ☏ +88683656612. A hostel situated in old stone houses on a hillside and overlooking the sea.