Ekurhuleni (also known as the East Rand) is the eastern part of the Gauteng province. It is part of the Johannesburg metropolitan area, and includes suburbs such as Modderfontein, Greenstone, Edenvale, Bedfordview, Benoni, Germiston, Springs, Boksburg and Brakpan. This article also covers Thembisa (formerly Tembisa (Dindela)), a large township north of Kempton Park.
The name Ekurhuleni means place of peace in XiTsonga. Ekurhuleni is one of the five districts of Gauteng province and one of the eight metropolitan municipalities of South Africa.
Thembisa was established in 1957 when black people were resettled from Alexandra and other areas in Edenvale, Kempton Park, Midrand and Germiston.
Ekurhuleni is connected to the main motorways in South Africa via the M2, N3, N17, R21, R24 and R59 highways. As Ekurhuleni is part of the Johannesburg Conurbation, Transport routes in Ekurhuleni share the same metropolitan route numbering system as Johannesburg.
Ekurhuleni is the largest rail hub in South Africa for cargo trains, with huge marshalling yards. Regional passenger services are provided by Metrorail but they are mainly aimed at commuters. These trains also have reputation for being overcrowded, slow and unsafe. Most other larger cities and towns within the region are served by regional rail.
- 1 Germiston railway station. Largest railway hub in this part of Gauteng, both Metrorail and long-distance trains from both central Johannesburg and Pretoria call here.
- 2 Rhodesfield railway station. Nearest railway station to OR Tambo International Airport. Serves as an interchange between Gautrain and Metrorail services.
Ekurhuleni is one of 13 cities and towns in South Africa to implement the bus rapid transit (BRT) system. Phase 1 of the project runs from Tembisa to Vosloorus via Kempton Park and the OR Tambo International Airport. New routes have been integrated from Katlehong to Rhodesfield, from Vosloorus to Rhodesfield, and from Reiger Park to Rhodesfield.
- 1 South African Airways Museum, TAC building, Rand Airport, Germiston, ☏ . Tu-Sa 10AM-4PM, Su 10AM-3PM.
- 2 AECI Dynamite Factory Museum, 2 Main St, Modderfontein, ☏ . M-F 10AM-2PM, W 2PM-4:30PM. The history of explosives, especially in relation to mining in South Africa
- 3 Bokkie Park.
- 4 Boksburg Stadium.
- 5 Chris Hani Memorial (At Thomas Nkobi Memorial Park in Boksburg). Revealed during the 22nd commemoration of his death. The Chris Hani memorial site consists of the Monument, the Walk of Remembrance and the Wall of Remembrance which recognizes the historical events, places and people associated with the liberation struggle of South Africa.
- 6 O.R. Tambo Narrative Centre, 3061 Tame Ave, Wattville. Tells visitors all about the lives and contributions of the Tambo couple towards the dismantling of Apartheid in South Africa. It is on the banks of the Leeupan Wetland. It also has an exhibition of environmental education aimed at children.
- 7 Thokoza Wall of Remembrance. A small memorial site that commemorates the 688 people killed in fighting between the Inkatha Freedom Party and ANC members during the late 1980s and early 90s.
- 8 St Boniface Church, 129 Meyer St, Germiston. Historic Anglican church, built in 1910.
- Since 2016 Ekurhuleni has hosted the Ekurhuleni International Film Festival.
- 2 East Rand Mall, Cnr North Rand Rd & Bentel Ave, Boksburg, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. Close to OR Tambo International Airport.
- 3 Lakeside Mall, Tom Jones street, ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. A regional shopping mall with the usual selection of shops, cinemas and restaurants.
- 4 Mall @ Carnival (Carnival Mall), Heidelberg Rd & Airport Road, Dalpark, Brakpan, 1552, ☏ . 9AM-7PM.
- 1 Wimpy.
- 2 Ga Nama Aefele Kwa Nyama Aipheli Ga, Thembisa.
- 3 Haya Restaurant, Thembisa.
- 4 Hang Awt, Thembisa.
Slo tjhile Tembisa
There is a cluster of hotels around O.R. Tambo International Airport.
- Africa Centre, 65 Sunny Road, Lakefield, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. Check-in: Any time, check-out: 11AM. From R150 per person in the dorm to R350 for a double.
- Airport En Route, Airport En Route, 97 Boden Road, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Friendly home atmosphere. Double en suite rooms and individual log cabins available, along with campsite for overnight campers. Free secure parking next to rooms. Communal self-catering kitchen, lounge, and bbq with fire pit. Breakfast basket and airport transport transfers available. Nearby shopping malls. Ranges from R200 per person to R550 for two guests.
- Garden Court OR Tambo International Airport, 2 Hulley Road, Isando, ☏ , email@example.com. 3 km from the airport, transport to/from airport and shopping centres.
- Emperors Palace, 64 Jones Rd (When exiting the airport, keep left and follow Jones Road. At the T-junction, take a right and keep following Jones road. The casino resort and hotel will be on your right.), ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Aviator Hotel, 85 Kempton Rd (Take Voortrekker off ramp Take the M32 and first left into Kempton Road), ☏ . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. Hotel accommodation close to the airport. 124 stylish double rooms. Good rates, comfortable rooms and excellent cuisine. 3 km from OR Tambo International. Free meet and greet by prior arrangement. from 495.
- 1 Towers Lodge.
- 2 The View Guest House, 17 Aluta Cres, Thembisa, Kempton Park (It is located direct opposite the Tembisa Hospital), ☏ . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM.
Ekhurhulani has least crime most of the time you can ask your butler or security to know more about crime but sometimes it's good to keep a lookout