Buckhannon is a city of 5,725 people in West Virginia, and the only incorporated community in Upshur County. It was established in 1816 and named for Buckongahelas, a Native American chief of the Lenni-Lenape tribe who often hunted around the area, and whose name was often mispronounced by English settlers as "Buckongehanon".
- West Virginia Wildlife Center, ☏ . Open daily from 9AM-5PM. WV-20 12 miles south of Buckhannon. A modern zoological facility displaying native and introduced state wildlife, with a 1.25-mile interpretive trail through a mature hardwood forest.
- West Virginia Strawberry Festival, ☏ . Downtown Buckhannon. Held the third week in May since 1936. Parades, a carnival, fireworks, helicopter rides, arts and crafts exhibits, quilt show, photography show, souvenir shop, band competition, car show, live entertainment, a strawberry auction and a sweetest berry contest.
- West Virginia Wesleyan College, 59 College Avenue, 304-473-8000, . A liberal arts university founded in 1890, with 36 academic majors including biology, business, education, political science and psychology.
- Catherine Miller Designs, 7 Cloverleaf Lane, ☏ . Stonewheel hand-engraved glassware, including stemware, pitchers, vases, bowls, suncatchers and special designs.
- Ron Hinkle Glass, ☏ . Sago/Hampton Road off WV-20. Open 9AM-5PM Monday through Friday, and 9AM-2PM on Saturday; closed Sundays. Paperweights, stemware, designer vases, kitchen and bath accessories, "almost edibles", glass creatures and Christmas ornaments. Glassblowing classes offered. Demonstrations given 9AM-3PM Monday through Friday.
- Outlaw Saloon and Roadhouse, ☏ . Saloon with pool table, dance floor, Tex-Mex kitchen. Offering live music, DJ, Karaoke, bike nights, college nights, happy hour 4-9.
Hotels and Inns
- Bicentennial Inn, 90 E Main Street, ☏ , toll-free: . On-site restaurant called the 88 Restaurant.
- Colonial Hotel-Motel, 24 N Kanawha Street. 14 hotel rooms, 21 motel unites, 3 efficiency suites. Built in the early 1900s and known locally for its friendly atmosphere. $35-50.
Bed and Breakfasts
- Governor's Inn Bed & Breakfast, 76 E Main Street, ☏ . 6 rooms. Housed in a century-old brick mansion with a formal dining room serving a daily gourmet breakfast.
- Post Mansion Inn, 8 Island Avenue, ☏ . An elegantly-restored 20-room mansion.
- Riverside Bed & Breakfast, 113 Island Avenue, ☏ . Built in 1895 on a peninsula by the Buckhannon River. Sunroom, 4 acres of land with perennial gardens. Full homemade breakfast. $75-95.
- Weston is about 20 minutes west on US-33.
- Elkins is about 30 minutes east on US-33.
- Clarksburg is about 40 minutes north on I-79.
|Routes through Buckhannon|
|Columbus ← Weston ←||W E||→ Elkins → Harrisonburg|