Calais (pronounced "Cal' lus") is a coastal town located in the Down East region of Maine at the Canadian border across from the town of St. Stephen, one of Maine's busiest border crossings. Calais and St. Stephen have a close relationship, celebrated with a multiple-day International Festival each year. A parade crosses Ferry Point Bridge, with the mayors of both communities shaking hands across the border.
The direct route from Bangor, ME is via Route 9, locally called "The Airline."
The closest airport is Bangor International Airport.
- Saint Croix Island International Historic Site, Route 1 (south of downtown), ☏ , fax: . Daily dawn to dusk, but displays are covered in winter. Saint Croix Island International Historic Site marks the first presence by Europeans on mainland northern North America and is part of the system of U.S. National Parks. It is composed of a mainland site and 6.5-acre Saint Croix Island. Travel to the island is discouraged due to its fragile ecosystem. The mainland site includes an outdoor interpretive shelter, picnic tables, a pit toilet, and an unimproved boat launch. A short, accessible interpretive trail features bronze figures of the French and Passamaquoddy, as well as displays discussing historical events and the interaction of the two cultures. Free.
- Holmes Cottage, 237 Main St. Built 1804.
- Whitlock's Mill Light. Three miles south of Calais. Northernmost lighthouse in the U.S. and still a working light. While the light cannot be visited, it can be seen from the St. Croix View Rest Area on U.S. Highway 1.
- St. Croix Country Club Golf Course, Route 1, ☏ . Public, nine holes. 5534 yards, par 70, slope 107, rating 65.2.
- International Festival. Early August week-long festival with cross-border neighbor town, St. Stephen, New Brunswick, Canada.
- Chandler House Restaurant, 20 Chandler St, ☏ .
- Schooner Restaurant, 187 Main St, ☏ .
- Townhouse Restaurant, 84 Main St, ☏ .
- Campobello Island
- The Passamaquoddy Tribe of Maine is 20 miles (30km) northwest on the road to Houlton (US Route 1)
|Routes through Calais|
|Fort Kent ← Houlton ←||N S||→ Jct E Template:Rtarrow Ellsworth → Brunswick|
|END ←||W E||→ Template:Rtarrow Saint Andrews via → Saint John|