Europe > Central Europe > Hungary > Central Hungary > Cegléd
Cegléd (nicknamed "the gate of the Great Plain") is a city in Pest county, approximately 70 km southeast of Budapest. Cegléd is situated between the Duna and Tisza rivers, north of Kiskunság, at the western part of the Great Hungarian Plain.
- 1 Cegléd Bus Station (Cegléd autóbusz-állomás), Cegléd, Mozdony u. 6. (Close to Train Station), ☏ . Cash desk opening hours: Workdays: 06.30–14.30, 1st to 6th day of each month: 06.15–16.15. Local lines on map (PDF). Interurban Lines destinations (far not all) Abony (E), Csemő (SW), Lajosmizse (SW), Tápiószőlős (N), Tápiószentmárton (N), Tápióbicske (N), Nagykáta, Szolnok. - Long distance lines which passing Cegléd are: Budapest–Szolnok–Szeghalom–Komádi/Gyula, Eger–Kecskemét–Kalocsa, Gyöngyös–Heves–Jászberény–Kecskemét, Miskolc–Mezőkövesd–Jászberény- Újszász–Kecskemét, Szolnok– Nagykőrös.
- 1 Cegléd Railway Station (Cegléd Vasúti állomás), Mozdony utca (North of Downtown), ☏ . Hourly direct train connection with Budapest via Monor and Szolnok via Abony. Infrequently with Kecskemét via Nagykőrös. To Nyíregyháza also regularly departing trains.
- Tourinform - Cegléd, Cegléd, Kossuth tér 1 (In Town Hall building), ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. Opening hours: mid June-Aug Mo-Fr: 8:00-16:00, Sa: 9:00-14:00, Sep-mid Jun Mo-Fr: 8:00-16:00, Sat, Sun: Closed. Tourist information office of Cegléd. Up to date infos about sights, accommodations, services. Free maps leaflets. Buy some souvenirs. Organize tours, bookings. Spoken languages: English, German.
- 2 Evangelical Church (Evangelikus templom), Szabadság tér (East of Reformed Church), ☏ , , fax: , email@example.com. This is a Neo-Gothic church. It was built in 1895-96. The main bell of the church is 600kg. Admission: free of charge.
- 3 Reformed Church (Ceglédi Nagytemplom, Református templom), Szabadság tér 1-3 (In the Downtown), ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. Hungarian and English tours by booking. Designed by József Hild, built in 1835-1870, the biggest Calvinist church in Central Europe. The dome was destroyed in a fire in 1936 and rebuilt in a taller form. The church building is a symbol of the town. The twin-towered façade has a projecting porch with a tympanum supported by four Ionic columns. The frieze below the tympanum bears the inscription: "Come unto me all of you",
- 4 Chapel church of Our Lady of Hungarians (Magyarok Nagyasszonya kápolnatemplom), Széchenyi utca 87 (Széchenyi street cemetery), ☏ . By appointment. Designed in unique Modern style. The red roof, the white walls and beautiful green lawn symbolize the colors of the Hungarian national flag. Admission: free of charge.
- 5 Holy Cross Parish Church (Szent Kereszt Plébániatemplom), Kossuth Lajos tér 3. (Close to the Town Hall), ☏ , email@example.com. A Saint Anne chapel stood on the site in the 14th-15th centuries.Today's church was erected on the site of a Gothic church demolished in 1821. The main altar was built in 1830. An artist of Pest (now Budapest) did the painting of the Calvary scene on the main altar. Admission: free of charge.
- 6 Drum Museum (Dobmúzeum), Szabdság tér 5 (Cose to Evangelical Church), ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. Opening hours: M-F 10-16, weekend by booking. shows the history of jazz drumming from the turn of the century to the present day. Instrument catalogues, music books, scores, concert and teaching videos, audio material, photo archive. Percussion instruments for visitors to try out in a music room.
- 7 Duo Gallery (Duo Galéria), Szabadság tér 8 (Opposite the Reformed church), ☏ , email@example.com. Opening hours: Mo-Fr:10.00-20.30. This is an exhibition hall of a private collector. The collection include the contemporary art, the antiquities and paintings Admission: free of charge.
- 8 Kossuth Museum (Kossuth Múzeum [ˈkoʃuːt].), Múzeum utca 5 (One block north of Szabadság square), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Open: Mo closed, Tu-Su 9:00-17:00. The main museum of the City. Local history and local ethnography covering 4000 B.C. to 1946 A.D.- Selection from the Kossuth Relic Collection, Lajos Kossuth was a Hungarian lawyer, journalist, politician and Regent-President of the Kingdom of Hungary during the revolution of 1848–49. Admission: Adults/reduced: HUF1000/500 (2014).
- 9 Museum the History of Education and Religious art (Iskolatörténeti és Egyházművészeti Múzeum), Cegléd, Szív u. 1. (In the Reformed school), ☏ . Opening hours: Sep to mid June: Mo-Fr: 8:00-16:00, guide by booking. temporary exhibitions.
- 10 Sport Historical Collection (Városi Sporttörténeti Gyűjtemény), Cegléd, Gubody utca 9. (Behind Main Post Office), ☏ , email@example.com. Opening hours: Th, Tu:14:00-18:00, to guide tours reservation required. Contents more than ten thousand documents on the town's rich sports life and presents them to the public in its exhibitions. In addition to the valuable specialised library, the archive and collection of photographs, the visitor can admire the trophies of such great Hungarian sportspersons
- 11 Stove Museum (Öntöttvaskályha - gyűjtemény), Dessewffy u 70. (South of Downtown, between Nyár street and Forgách street), ☏ (evenings), firstname.lastname@example.org. Opening hours: by booking. Cast-iron stoves from the 19 th century. Over stoves here can be see nice over hundred years old items as irons, a variety of scales, weights, mortars, pans, tarkedli ovens and fireplaces.
- 12 Old-timer Vehicle Exhibition (Veterán Jármű Szalon), Külső Kátai út 1 (100m north of the rail), ☏ , email@example.com. Saturdays: 9.00-12.00. Presents veteran cars and motorcycles.
- Turf bog nature conservation area (Tőzegláp, Ceglédi-rét Természetvédelmi terület), Mályva street (Between Cegléd and Csemő along the Creek Gerje.), ☏ . with rare animal and plant species. The wetland formed mining and drainage, but the resulting ponds with diverse wildlife. The largest botanical value is the patches of peat moss. free of charge.
- 13 Lick lakes nature conservation area (Ceglédi Szikes tavak) (Nearby (north) of Cegléd. Between Hwy #4 and Road #311), ☏ . with magnificent wilderness scenery. Salt marshes, intermittent water-covered meadows and pastures. Flora and fauna specials: saline aster, the Hungarian statice, Ophrys sphegodes, lapwing, the tailed Godwit, redshank, avocet and winged Stilt. Fine place to walking, birdwatching and relaxing free of charge.
- 14 Town Hall (Városháza), Kossuth tér 1 (Downtown), ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. This is animposing two-storey building with a central projection topped with a two-planed roof and a small rounded dome and prominent corner. It was erected in 1891-93 in eclectic style. The Town Hall was designed by two architects Budapest.
- 15 Tree of Liberty (Szabadság fája) (In the Church garden, corner of Kazinczy and Ősz streets), ☏ . made by a local ceramic artist, belfry has been over it. There are seven ceramic bell with numbers on the side. These are indicate the important events of Hungarian history.
- 16 Abony (Take a bus from Szolnok or from Cegléd, between Budapest and Szolnok). "Kaszáló" Forest, One of the biggest settlement in Europe of the blue falcon (Abony, Outskirts of Abony), Abonyi Lajos Exhibition Hall, local historical collection (Vasút út 16., Phone:+36 53 360096, email@example.com), "Vigyázó" Mansion, Classicist, Baroque style monument building (Tószegi utca 51.,Phone: +36 53 360075, visit only from outside but valued), St Stephen Roman Catholic Church, bulit in 1790's in baroque style. (Kossuth tér 14.,Phone: +36 53 360045, firstname.lastname@example.org), Reformed Church, built in 1785, in late baroque style, a symbol of Abony (Kálvin utca 2., Phone:+36 53 360025, email@example.com, by booking), Abony Zoo, In the seven-acre mixed-planted forest, under the "sky-high trees' foliage in the cool shade, you can visit wild animals. (Bajtárs út 1., Phone:+36 53 362049, firstname.lastname@example.org, Every day: 9:00-17:00, Admission: HUF1400/1200 HUF )
- 1 Termal Bad with Aquapark and Camping (Termálfűrdő, Ceglédi Gyógyfürdő és Szabadidőközpont), Fürdő út 27 (Northwest two km), ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. Opening hours: Sep-May Mo-Su 10:00-19:00, End of May-Aug M-Su 9:00-19:00.
- Drum and Percussion Gala (Nemzetközi Dobos-és ütős gála), - which is a jazz event, as well as numerous jazz concerts throughout every year.
- Open Air Music Nights (Szabadtéri zenés esték)
- Cellar Day (Pünkösdi nyitott pince nap)
- Food and Wine Fest (Laska-és borfesztivál)
- 'Dating' of Funny Vehicles and Oldtimers (Furfangos járművek és veterán járművek randevúja)
- Cocktail and Salsa Festival (Koktél-és salsa fesztivál)
- Jazz festival (Bori jazz fesztivál)
- Kossuth Days (Kossuth napok) - September
- Tetz Art Festival (Tetz művészeti fesztivál)
- Virga festival (Virga fesztivál)
- 1 Klement Winery (Klément Családi Borászat), Kékkő utca 13. (East of center), ☏ , , firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 10.00-17.00. Wine tasting and shopping
- 1 Fodor Ice Cream (Fagyizó), Kossuth Ferenc utca 12 (Two blocks north of Main Post Office), ☏ . Daily 8:00-21:00. Summer cooler sweets.
- 2 Malom Tavern (Kalocsáék Malom Vendéglője), Kőrösi út 36. (South of center), ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. Opening hours: Su-Th 11:00-22: 00; Fr-Sa 11:00-24:00. Hungarian, homemade type food, preparing on/from stew, grill and oven Mains HUF1500-2200.
- 3 La Toscana Bistro (La Toscana Bisztró), Kossuth tér 8. (Close to Town Hall), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 10:00-23:00, F, Sa 10:00-24:00, Su 10:00-22:00. Home cooking food with product of different Hungarian Wine Region. Weekly menus. Tea and hot chocolates specials. Mains HUF2000-4000 (2014).
- 1 Aquarell Hotel, Harmonia Wellness Center and Aranyhegy Restaurant (Harmónia Wellness Központ, Gyógyászati Központ és Aranyhegy Étterem), Fürdő út 24 (Located near the city’s Thermal Bath and Aquapark), ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. Four star hotel. There are fifty twin of 92 rooms, the others are double. Each room has a minibar, safe, hairdryer, direct dial telephone, color TV. Sgl/dbl HUF31000-34000/38000-42000.
- 2 Garni Hotel, Malom utca 9. (Ten min walk toward east from Szabadság square), ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. Located in one of the quietest streets in the city center, lush greenery area. There is enclosed parking, double and triple rooms and suites Sgl/dbl/tpl/quad from HUF4700/8200/11200/13800 (all tax incl., 2014).
- 3 Hotel Alföld and Restaurant (Hotel Alföld és Étterem), Szolnoki út 15/a (Five min walk norteast from Downtown), ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. Cozy, family-run hotel. Sturdy furniture, cable TV, all room with shower. Hotel guests can use the Internet with a Card (ask at reception). Sgl/dbl from HUF7550/9650 (all tax incl., 2014).
- 4 Dózsa György Student home (Dózsa György Kollégium), Cegléd, Rákóczi út 54-56. (North of Szabadság square. Close to City Swimming Pool), ☏ , , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. Sixty rooms. Hostels type place, but also doubles available Dorm from HUF2200, rooms from HUF3200 (2014).
Cegléd postal code is: H-2701. Area Phone code: 53.
- 2 Main Post Office (Cegléd 1 posta), Cegléd, Kossuth Ferenc utca 2. (One block northwest of Szabadság square), ☏ , , fax: , email@example.com. M-F 08:00-19:00, Sa 08:00-12:00.