Champhai is a local commercial hub on the Indo-Myanmar border, about 200 km from Aizawl, and has the biggest strech of plains used for rice cultivation in Mizoram.
Booking counters in Aizawl are around Lower Zarkawt (Electric Veng). The road to Champhai is narrow and winding, one should expect 8 hours journey including one meal stop on the way. Sumos leave both Champhai and Aizawl around 6 am and 6 pm.
No Sumo runs on Sundays and Christian holidays.
- 1 Fiara Tui. This river is located 65 km from Champhai (known as "the purest summer water on Earth") has its source in the Tan Tlang Mountain.
- 2 Hnahlan. THis is a an area which near Champhai with vineyards and a beautiful climate.
- 3 Lamsial Puk. Cave is located near Farkawn village.
- 4 Lianchhiari Tlang (Lianchhiari Lunglen Tlang). This is a rocky cliff ledge near the village of Dungtlang.
- 5 Mizo Hlakungpui Mual. A monument at the southern end of Khawbung village that commemorates the Mizo classical composers.
- 6 Murlen National Park. A home to a wide variety of flora and fauna.
- Mura Puk. This lake is located in Zote village. There are 6 caves (pits) at this site.
- Tan Tlang. A legendary mountain (85 km from Champhai) located near Vaphai village.
- Thasiama Seno Neihna. This is a plateau on a rugged hill near Vaphai village.
- 7 Zokhawthar. A trading town on the border with Myanmar.
As a commercial hub for Indo-Myanmar trade, there are many Myanmar products available in the market. Cheap staffs are more Chinese origin come through Myanmar rather than from main parts of India.
Mizos are devout Christian and all stores and restaurants close their doors on Sundays and after 6 pm.
- Hotel Holiday Home (go uphill from sumo counters), ☏ . Pleasant budget hotel. Nice view of the valley from its rooftop. ₹300 single.
- Tourist Lodge, ☏ , . Run by State Government. Clean and pleasant place to stay ₹600 and up..
Airtel has by far the best 3G coverage in the area followed by Aircel. Vodafone, idea, Reliance have 2G coverage in the town area.