North America > United States of America > Midwest > Minnesota > Northwestern Minnesota > Cold Spring (Minnesota)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Cold Spring is a town of around 4,000 inhabitants on the banks of the Sauk River in Central Minnesota. It is located 15 minutes southwest of St. Cloud on Highway 23.
- Springers Amateur Baseball Game, 7th Ave S, MN 56320, ☏ . Local amateur league baseball played in an impressive stadium for a town of Cold Spring's size. You can feel the local pride of the fans.
- 1 Assumption Chapel (Grasshopper Chapel). Assumption Chapel, also known as the Grasshopper Chapel, was built in petition for relief from the Grasshopper Plagues of the 1870s. The Chapel is situated on the top of a hill on the outskirts of Cold Spring, Minnesota. Pilgrimage Road winds up the steep hill first lined with huge lilac bushes and then shrouded by enormous trees. The top of the hill is covered with lush grass and more trees. In the midst of a clearing in the trees stands the granite form of the Chapel. In 1952, in honor of the centennial of the diocese of Saint Cloud, the Chapel was rebuilt. The current chapel stands sixteen by twenty-six, the approximate size of the original chapel. It is constructed of rough granite, much of which was donated by the Cold Spring Granite Company, a major local business. The inside of the Chapel is simple and has no pews, only an altar. The chapel walls are made of polished agate and carnelian granite. Four simple stained glass windows enhance the interior of the chapel. Above the altar stands the wooden statue that had been carried in procession through the Cold Spring community at the time of the Chapel's original consecration. The most telling feature and testimony to the history of the chapel is the stone carving above the door. It is inscribed "Assumpta est Maria" ("Mary has been taken up"), referring to the new name given to this reconstructed chapel. Mary is pictured between the words but at her feet, bowing in submission, are two kneeling grasshoppers.
- Quarry Cinema, 111 MN-23 (Right off of Hwy 23), ☏ . Movie theater with 5 screens. Only movie theater in area outside of St. Cloud/Waite Park.
- Cold Spring Bowling Lanes, 206 Main St, ☏ .
- La Perla Market, 217 3rd St S, ☏ . Great store, specializing in Hispanic foods and products.
- Marnateli's Pizza, 314 3rd St S, ☏ . Local pizza joint.
- Side Bar and Grill (The Side), 15 Red River Avenue North, ☏ . 10AM-2AM. Great outdoor patio.
- Dairy Queen (DQ Grill & Chill), 14229 MN-23 (Right off of Hwy 23), ☏ . 10AM-8PM.
- Hardee's, 200 3rd St S, ☏ . 5:30AM-10PM.
- Subway, 24 Red River Ave N, ☏ .
- Third Street Brewhouse, 219 Red River Ave N, ☏ . Great local brewhouse. Home of the locally famous Third Street Brewhouse Brand. Taphouse and Brewery open on weekends. Tours available.
- Riverside Inn, 118 3rd St S (Right off of Hwy 23), ☏ . Quaint hotel with themed rooms and a pool.
- The Pillar Inn Bed and Breakfast, 419 Main St, ☏ .
|Routes through Cold Spring|
|Pipestone ← Willmar ←||W E||→ Saint Cloud → Duluth|