North America > United States of America > New England > New Hampshire > Dartmouth Lake Sunapee > Cornish (New Hampshire)
Cornish is a town along the Connecticut River in New Hampshire. It includes the villages of Cornish Flat and Cornish Mills. Cornish is a scenic town with three covered bridges that is known as a summer retreat for artists and writers.
- Lebanon Municipal Airport, in Lebanon.
Cornish is near Interstates 89 and 91. From Interstate 89 take Exit 20 (West Lebanon) and travel south on Route 12A. From Interstate 91 take Exit 8 (Ascutney, Vermont), cross the Connecticut River and travel north on Route 12A.
Saint Gaudens National Historic Site
Saint Gaudens National Historic Site, 139 Saint-Gaudens Road, Phone: +1 603 675-2175, Fax: +1 603 675-2701, . Late May–October, 9AM-4:30PM. Over age 16 $5 for seven days. National Park Pass admits holder and family.
Features the home, studios and gardens of the great American sculptor, Augustus Saint-Gaudens (1848-1907). The only National Park site in New Hampshire, it is one of only two in the National Park System dedicated to a visual artist. Six historic buildings are open to the public and over 100 of Saint-Gaudens' artworks are on exhibit in lovely formal gardens. Explore over two miles of nature trails or take sculpture classes given by a sculptor-in-residence. Summer concerts are also presented. A "junior ranger" program is available.
- Exhibits: Six buildings are open to the public -- three galleries with Saint-Gaudens' artwork, a studio for the sculptor-in-residence interpretive program, a stable building with antique carriages, and "Aspet," the 18th century furnished house of Augustus Saint-Gaudens (Aspet is closed in 2006).
- Tours are offered daily at the park, except for Sunday afternoons in July and August:
- Art tour: (55 minutes). 11AM, 2PM. A guided tour of the galleries and grounds of the park. A great way to learn about Saint-Gaudens’ art and his life in Cornish.
- Saint-Gaudens' Studio: (20 minutes). 10:30AM, 3:30PM. Learn about the design of the sculptor’s studio, how it functioned, and how he created some of his important works like the statues of President Lincoln
- Nature Walk: 12PM. Sundays during July & August; 1PM Thursdays, all season Explore the Ravine Trail with a park naturalist to learn about the plants and animals of the area and the invasive plants that threaten the park.
- Curator's Choice Tour: Tu 1PM. Join the site curator for a special look at a selected art work.
- Sculptor's tour: W,F 1PM. Join the sculptor-in-residence for a look at the art from a sculptor’s viewpoint.
- Films: An excellent orientation to the site is the film Augustus Saint-Gaudens: An American Original (28 minutes), shown in the visitor center. Other films are also shown during the day, or upon request include: Wax Blood, Bronze Skin, explaining how bronze sculptures are cast; and The Medal Maker, explains the process of medallic art.
- Hiking Trails: Ravine Trail, about 1/4 mile, and Blow-Me-Down Trail, approximately 2.5 miles.
- Trustees of the Saint-Gaudens Memorial. A non-profit partner of the Park Service for this project. Their web site gives additional depth, background and research resources for visitors.
Other things to see
- Chase House Inn, 1001 Route 12A, ☏ , fax: . A National Historic Landmark and birthplace of Salmon P. Chase. This Inn is now a private residence, not an operating B&B.
- Cornish-Windsor Covered Bridge. The longest wooden covered bridge in the US, built in 1866.
- Antiquing. There are many antique stores in the area.
- Skiing at nearby Mount Ascutney in Brownsville, Vermont.
- Cornish General Store, RR 120, ☏ . Grocery
- 12% Solution, Route 12A and Town House Rd, ☏ . Convenience Store, beer, wine & spirits.
- Cornish Automotive, 813 Nh Route 12a, ☏ . Car repair & used car sales.
- Cornish Flat Post Office, 241 NH Route 120, ☏ , toll-free: . Mon-Fri 8:30AM-1PM 2:30PM-4:30PM Sat 8:30AM-12PM Sun Closed. Post Office
- See Claremont for more nearby lodging.
- Home Hill French Inn & Restaurant, ☏ . River Road, Plainfield. Eleven rooms. $295-$500.
|Routes through Cornish|
|Hanover ← Lebanon ←||N S||→ Claremont → END|