Devon owes its existence to one of the largest oil discoveries in the world. On 1947 February 13, the Imperial Leduc #1 well struck oil, and the new town of Devon was constructed shortly thereafter by Imperial Oil to accommodate its workers. Devon sits on the south bank of the North Saskatchewan River; Parkland County is north of the river and Leduc County is south of the river.
- 1 Edmonton International Airport (YEG IATA) (20 minutes east of Devon). Edmonton International Airport is the fastest-growing large airport in Canada-with new parkades, services, terminals, planes, hotels, and shops popping up. It has two terminals, with a central hall that is the security point for all domestic and international traffic (excluding travel to the US, which uses the South Terminal).
The most common way to get to Devon is by car and is about 40 km (25 mi) southwest of downtown Edmonton. Travellers from West Edmonton can take either Highway 16 or Highway 16A west to Highway 60 (exit 371 on Hwy 16), and then travel south; while travellers from South Edmonton can take Highway 2 south to Highway 19 (exit 525) and travel west.
- 1 Canadian Energy Museum (Leduc #1 Energy Discovery Centre), 50339 Highway 60, Leduc County (2 km south of Devon on Hwy 60), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Sa 9AM-5PM. This facility was built to showcase Canada's oil industry to the world. The centre contains artifacts; photos, scale models, and colourful stories, all designed to give the viewing public a taste of what it was like to be a part of Alberta's oil history. Adult $12, senior $10, youth $8.
- 2 Clifford E. Lee Sanctuary (5 km north on Hwy 60, 1.6 west on Twp Rd 512A (Pine Valley Rd), 1.6 km north on Rge Rd 264 (Sanctuary Rd)), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. This 300-acre nature preserve offers marshes, meadows, pine and aspen woodland and is open to the public year-round. Established natural paths, boardwalks, provide numerous viewing points showcasing a variety of flora and fauna.
- 3 University of Alberta Botanical Gardens (formerly Devonian Botanic Garden), 51227 Highway 60, Parkland County (5 km north of Devon on Hwy 60), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. June 29 - Sept 3: 10AM - 6PM, Sept 4 - Oct 8: 10AM - 5PM, July 5 through Aug 30, open late on Thursdays until dusk, last admissions at 8:30PM. Botanical garden featuring native and Japanese themes, and large indoor showhouses. A Mughal-style garden opened in 2018 thanks to a gift from the Aga Khan. Admission: adult $15.85, senior $11.75, student with ID $8.50, youth 13-17 $8.50, child 3-12 $4.50, child age 2 & under free, family $39.00.
First Tuesdays of the month are half price.
- 1 Rabbit Hill Snow Resort, 25512 Twp Rd 510A, Leduc County (15 km northeast of Devon; take Hwy 19 east to Rge Rd 260 north and follow the signs), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Greater Edmonton's largest and most popular ski hill. 10 minutes east of Devon and 20 minutes southwest of Edmonton in the North Saskatchewan River Valley. Triple chairlift, T-bars, rope tows and extensive snowmaking and grooming equipment make this a very popular winter destination.
- 2 Shalom Park, 25512B Twp Rd 510A, Leduc County, ☏ . 10 minutes east of Devon. Recognized as one of the top ten water ski facilities in the world. This picturesque lake provides ideal conditions for skiers of any level.
- 1 Frickin’ Delights Donuts, #102 3 Superior St, ☏ . Su 10AM–3PM, Tu Sa 9AM-3PM, W-F 9AM-5PM. What started as a vegan donut option sold at local farmers' markets, has exploded into an established bakery known for its amazing vegan food products with mind-blowing flavours such as mango cream, fudge sprinkles, hazelnut tea, and chocolate coconut.
- 2 House of Goodys, 8 Athabasca Ave, ☏ . W-M 11AM-PM. Chinese restaurant.
- 3 Florida Pizza Steakhouse, #104 17 Athabasca Ave, ☏ .
- 4 Marci's Bar & Grill, #15 102 Erie St S, ☏ . M–Th 11AM–10PM, F Sa 11AM–11PM, Su 11AM–9PM. Pizza, steak, burgers, lasagna....
- 1 Key West Inn, 71 Superior St, ☏ . From $88.
- 2 Devon Lions Campground, 1140 Saskatchewan Avenue E (from Hwy 60, turn into town at Independent Grocer; turn left at the first 4-way stop sign onto Superior Street; travel one block and turn right onto Saskatchewan Ave.; descend into the river valley, past the golf course and into the campground), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Two showerhouses with washrooms and free showers, coin operated laundromat. Reservations by e-mail or by phone. Open May 1 until mid-October. Unserviced site $30.45, 15 amp power/water $35.70, 30 amp power/water $38.85, 30 amp power/water/sewer $44.10, 50 amp power/water/sewer $52.50 (taxes included).
- 1 Devon General Hospital, 101 Erie Street, ☏ . Provides a range of health care services including a 24/7 emergency department.
|Routes through Devon|
|END ←||W E||→ Nisku → becomes → ENDS at N S|
|ENDS at W E ←||N S||→ ENDS at W E|