Douliu (斗六) is a city of 108,000 people (2022) that is the county seat of Yunlin County.
Although Douliu is located in one of Taiwan's least touristy regions and doesn't have much to offer, it is still worth passing by.
There is no airport in Douliu. The closest airports are Taichung and Chiayi. This said, from abroad, the best option is to fly to Taoyuan, and take a train to Douliu (less than an hour using high-speed rail).
High-speed rail (高鐵)
- Yunlin (雲林) station, a bit far from everywhere, but with a free bus connection to Douliu
Regular trains (臺灣車)
Tourist information is available in Douliu train station.
The city is small enough to be walkable. However, Douliu is one of the least walkable cities in Taiwan; there are virtually no sidewalk, even in the city center. So the only option is to walk on the road; be cautious with the motorbikes and cars coming from everywhere.
Cycling is a good option here, as quite some people (especially high school and university students) use bicycle here.
Culture and history
- 1 Taiping Street (太平老街), No. 123, Taiping Road, ☏ . A preserved section of a street consisting of a number of Japanese colonial-era buildings.
- 2 House of Citizen-Memorial Hall of Attendance (行啟紀念公民會館), No. 101, Fuqian Street, ☏ . A 19th-century building that regularly hosts arts performances and film screenings.
- 3 Hushan Temple (湖山寺), No. 48, Yanshan Road, ☏ . 07:00-15:00. A large, ornate temple complex on the outskirts of the city.
- 4 Nansheng Temple (南聖宮), No. 301, Nansheng Road, ☏ . 06:00-21:00. A large temple complex dedicated to the traditional Chinese figure Guan Gung (also known as Guan Yu).
- 5 Soy Sauce Brewing Museum (大同醬油黑金釀造館), No. 39, Dougong 2nd Road, ☏ . 08:30-17:30. A soy sauce factory where visitors can tour the facility.
- 1 Douliu Baseball Stadium (斗六棒球場), No. 320, Section 2, Mingde North Road, ☏ . M-Sa 18:00-22:00. A 15,000 seat stadium which has hosted a number of games of the CPBL as well as of the Asia Winter Baseball League.
Just as in virtually every other city in Taiwan, Douliu has plenty of convenience stores open 24 hr (such as 7-Eleven or Family Market).
However, there is no shopping mall.
- Plenty of restaurants on 民生南路 (Minsheng South Road), 中山路 (Zhongshan Road) and 太平路 (Taiping Road).
- 1 Ren Wen night market (人文夜市), Mingde Road, ☏ . Tu Sa 16:00-00:00. One of the larger night markets in southern Taiwan featuring local snacks and games.
- 2 Zhuangjing Night Market (莊敬夜市). W Sa 17:00-00:00. A small Taiwanese-style night market featuring a variety of local snacks.
- 1 Police Dormitory (警察宿舍), No. 16, Yunzhong Street, ☏ . Tu-Su 10:30-19:00. A cafe housed in a Japanese colonial-era police dormitory building.