Douliu (斗六) is a city that is the county seat of Yunlin County.
Although Douliu is located in one of Taiwan's least touristy regions and doesn't have much to offer, it is still worth passing by.
There is no airport in Douliu. The closest airports are Taichung and Chiayi. This said, from abroad, the best option is to fly to Taoyuan, and take a train to Douliu (less than an hour using high-speed rail).
High-speed rail (高鐵)
- Yunlin (雲林) station, a bit far from everywhere, but with a free bus connection to Douliu
Regular trains (臺灣車)
Tourist information is available in Douliu train station.
The city is small enough to be walkable. However, Douliu is one of the least walkable cities in Taiwan; there are virtually no sidewalk, even in the city center. So the only option is to walk on the road; be cautious with the motorbikes and cars coming from everywhere.
Cycling is a good option here, as quite some people (especially high school and university students) use bicycle here.
- Taiping Street. There are many old Japanese-era houses on this street.
- House of Citizen-Memorial Hall of Attendance. A 19th-century building.
- National Yunlin University of Science and Technology (south of the city). Campus.
Just as in virtually every other city in Taiwan, Douliu has plenty of convenience stores open 24h (such as 7-Eleven or Family Market).
However, there is no shopping mall.
- Plenty of restaurants on 民生南路 (Minsheng South Road), 中山路 (Zhongshan Road) and 太平路 (Taiping Road).