Dubbo is accessible from Newcastle (via the New England and Golden Highways). Approximately four hour drive.
NSW Trainlink operates an XPT train service between Sydney and Dubbo daily. There is an additional coach connection to Lithgow (connecting with the Cityrail service) and a coach connection to Cootamundra (connecting to the Sydney to Melbourne XPT).
Dubbo is one of the few places in country NSW that it is practical to take the train without requiring transport at the other end. There is accommodation within easy walking distance of the station, from where you can explore the centre of town and the attractions there. The zoo is only a 5km taxi ride, where you can hire a bike, car or walk around the zoo.
Dubbo airport DBO IATA is just on the north-west edge of town. You can get a taxi into town, or pre-book a rental car to pickup at the airport.
- Qantaslink flies between Sydney and Dubbo.
There is an off-road cycleway from the centre of Dubbo out to the Western Plains Zoo. It is an easy cycle, and then you can use your bike to cycle around the zoo as well.
The zoo is only a short distance from town, and it is quite economical to catch a taxi there. You can hire a bicycle at the zoo to get around when you get there.
- Western Plains Zoo, ☏ . The, Obley Road. Opening hours 9AM-5PM. This large open range zoo, one of the finest zoos in New South Wales, has both exotic and native animals, including elephants, giraffes, and the rare black rhinos currently the focus of a breeding program at the zoo. It is the biggest attraction of tourists to the city. The Zoo is quite large, and it is both useful and fun to hire a bicycle to get around. There are variety of styles, child seats, baskets and trailers for hire at the entrance, or a cycleway stretches all the way from town. Admission is $45 adults, $22 children 4-15, $30 concessions and free for children under 4. Tickets are valid for entry on two consecutive days.
- Dundullimal Homestead
- Dubbo Kart Club, Ph: +61 2 6884 5321 Mob: 0428480714. Home of the Lincoln County Raceway, the Dubbo Kart Club . Has hire karts available and hosts Local, State, National and International karting events. Contact the club for details: PO Box 1592, Dubbo, NSW 2830 AUSTRALIA.
- Farmer’s Markets There are Farmer’s Markets every month in Dubbo, NSW. They are on the first and third Saturday of every month, near the Tourist Information Centre. Fresh produce, poultry, coffee, jams, preserves, olive oil, sourdough bread, etc.
- Orana Dragon Boat. Orana dragon Boat is crewed by eighteen paddlers, a sweep who steers the boat from the back and a drummer who calls time in the front. Their boat is housed near Sandy Beach and usually paddle in the straight stretch of the Macquarie River between Sandy Beach and the Weir.
- sSs BBQ Barns, corner of Darling and Cobra Street, ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. Wonderful steakhouse with country atmosphere, food and service.
- Two Doors, Macquarie St. Wine and tapas bar – great service and excellent food. Mid to high price range.
There are a number of pubs and bars in Dubbo, with The Commercial Hotel, The Pastoral Hotel, Milestone, Western Star, Macquarie Inn and Dubbo RSL to name just a few, attracting quite a few locals and tourists on weekends.
Dubbo is a popular stopping off point, and has a large range of accommodation. Except at the busiest times of year, its possible to get motel accommodation on a drive up basis on the main roads into town.
- Ampalee Bed and Breakfast, ☏ . 11R Dunedoo Rd. Self contained units located outside of Dubbo Proper. $150+$20 each over 2 people. Not kid friendly.
- Cascades Motor Inn, 147 Cobra Street, ☏ . All rooms equipped with queen-sized bed, telephone, television, air-conditioning system, dial-up and Nomad wireless broadband. Rates start at 112.00 AUD.
- Aberdeen Motor Inn, 25 Cobra St, ☏ . Rooms, suites and family apartments located on Cobra street Dubbo.
- Blue Gum Inn, 109 Cobra Street, ☏ . Has several kid's rooms 2a and 3 kids.
- Blue Diamond Motor Inn, is walking distance to the station, if you are arriving by train and want a nearby place to stay.
- Dubbo Cabins and Caravan Park, 154 Whylandra Street, ☏ .
- Fountain View Motel, 113-115 Cobra St, ☏ . opposite Elston Park. Affordable accommodation.
- Quality Dubbo International, 165 Whylandra St, ☏ . Dubbo NSW. 60 rooms including suites, kitchen suite, family rooms, interconnecting rooms, and special designed rooms for guests with a disability. These rooms all have remote control television units, tea and coffee facilities, iron and ironing board, Free wireless broadband Internet, independent air conditioning units and Foxtel TV. All of the rooms have an electronic coded door locking system.
- Australian Heritage Motor Inn, ☏ , email@example.com. The Australian Heritage Motor inn is a 4 Star rated accommodation standard with 23 suite motels and 4 cottage style units. Cnr Brisbane and Cobra Streets Dubbo, NSW. Rates start at AUD 128.
Only an hour and a half away (or 128km ESE) from Dubbo, Mudgee offers a fantastic historical heritage and a host of great small wineries.
Wellington Caves and phosphate mines make a good day trip. Wellington itself is a pretty town, and well worth a visit itself.