Edgewater and Oak Hill are approximately adjacent communities in southeastern Volusia County.
Edgewater is the larger of the two settlements, and is primarily residential, with access to the Intracoastal Waterway. There are a number of stores along US-1, which is the main road in the town. Oak Hill, to the south of Edgewater, is more rural, except for a short section along the Intracoastal Waterway, which diverts from US-1. This section includes some nice views of the waterway, a restaurant, and nearby historic site.
Oak Hill marks the final settlement before the Canaveral Seashore/Kennedy Space Center area, the southern portion of which is closed to the public while the various waterways and landmasses of the Canaveral Seashore are preserved land, much of which as Canaveral National Seashore. Edgewater is immediately south of New Smyrna, and there is no physical boundary between mainland NSB and Edgewater.
US-1 enters from the north and south, entering from New Smyrna Beach to the north, curving past the quarry and the New Smyrna Beach library and entering Edgewater with no discontinuity in development. From the west, FL-442 connects I-95 to US-1 and meets in the commercial part of Edgewater. Oak Hill can be accessed by traveling south on US-1 from Edgewater.
There is no bridge from the coast to the mainland at this point, as the waterway and coexisting wetlands are wide. It is necessary to follow A1A from the beach to the South Causeway, and then approach Edgewater from the north. The New Smyrna junction between A1A and US-1 is incomplete, so it's best to go via a surface street to navigate from A1A to US-1 in order to head south from NSB to Edgewater.
By public transit
According to VoTran's website, Route 41 (the "Edgewater" Route) follows US-1 south from New Smyrna Beach through Edgewater to Oak Hill, and passes some residential areas of Edgewater as well, making it one of the more comprehensive public transit networks in the region.
US-1, in addition to being a route via which you enter the area, is also the main artery through it, and many businesses are alongside the Edgewater portion. The southern side of US-1, toward the Canaveral area, is more rural with higher speed. US-1 is a few hundred yards inland from the Intracoastal Waterway and a number of surface streets lead from US-1 to the waterway. FL-442 goes inland from US-1 to I-95, a north-south route that runs parallel to US-1 a few miles to the west. I-95 is just outside of Edgewater, and is well outside the Oak Hill settlement.
The River Rd and associated roads provide a semi-circular road in "downtown" Oak Hill leading to the Seminole Rest and the community portion of Oak Hill, most of which is away from US-1.
- 1 River Breeze Park, 250 H.H. Burch Rd, ☏ . Free.
- 2 Seminole Rest, River Rd, Oak Hill (on the east side of the road if traveling north). A historic house and short walk overlooking the Intracoastal Waterway. Part of the walk crosses turf viewing the house, while the other part passes through a woodland.
- 3 Veteran's Park, 1811 S Riverside Dr, ☏ . Park in Edgewater with views across the Intracoastal Waterway.
- 1 Marker 57 at Cameron's Marina, 2001 S Riverside Dr, ☏ . Open daily 6AM-6PM. Rentals include boats for flat bottom fishing. Tackle and bait shop and boat slip rentals.
- 1 Goodrich's, 253 River Rd (north of Seminole Rest and also on the east side of River Rd if traveling north), ☏ . Closed Monday. Parking is limited and during busy times parking on the road may be necessary. It's a seafood restaurant with specialties such as breaded alligator. From the back of the restaurant is an outdoor area with views across the Intracoastal Waterway to wetland, inlets and islands.
Most accommodation in the area is in New Smyrna Beach to the north.
- To the southeast are Kennedy Space Center and Cape Canaveral, among the most important sites of the NASA space program.
- To the south along US-1 is Titusville, a town west of the Kennedy Space Center. South from Titusville is the Melbourne urban area.
- To the north is New Smyrna Beach and the Daytona/Halifax Area.