Eksjö is a town in the Småland province with 10,000 inhabitants. It is the seat of Eksjö Municipality, which has roughly 17,000 inhabitants. It is notable as one of the best preserved old wood-towns in Sweden.
Eksjö developed during the medieval era as a natural meeting place on the roads connecting the bishoprics Linköping, Växjö and Kalmar. The city was entirely destroyed in 1568 during the Nordic Seven Years war, but was later rebuilt some 500 meters from its original location. The new city stretched in a north-south direction with the northern half separated from the southern by the church, city square, and latter also the city hotel. A major disaster hit the city in 1856 when the southern half of the city was destroyed in a major fire. Another setback for Eksjö came in the 1860s, as it was decided that the major railway connecting Stockholm with southern Sweden and Malmö would not pass Eksjö but rather the town Nässjö some 16 kilometers west of Eksjö. Due to this Eksjö was not as heavily industrialized as other cities, and as all resources where devoted to rebuilding the southern half of the city there was no urban renewal of its northern half. As a consequence of this the northern half of central Eksjö (a.k.a. "Gamla Stan" or "Old town") is one of the best preserved traditional wooden towns in Sweden, with many houses from the 17th, 18th and early 19th centuries. The southern half is dominated by neo-classicist stone buildings from the latter part of the 19th century.
Eksjö has been an important military city since the 15th century and is today the seat of Eksjö garrison. It is also the seat for Höglandssjukhuset ("The Highland Hospital").
Settlements include Eksjö, Mariannelund, Ingatorp, Hult, Hjältevad and Bruzaholm.
- 1 Eksjö Tourist Center, Norra Storgatan 29 B (Along the "Old town" main street), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M–F 09:00–17:00.
1 Eksjö Central Station only serves minor regional trains. However, all trains connecting Stockholm with Malmö pass through Nässjö 16 km (9.9 mi) West of Eksjö. From Nässjö you can continue towards Eksjö by bus. Most buses to Eksjö stop by the Central Station.
Eksjö is located on the intersection of Routes 40 and 32. Route 40 stretches in a West-East direction and connects to Nässjö and Jönköping in the west and continues towards Vimmerby and Västervik in the east. Route 32 continues towards Mjölby in the north and Vetlanda in the south.
Eksjö city is very small and is best seen by foot. The rest of the municipality is most easily accessed by car.
- 1 Aschanska gården (The Aschan house), Norra Storgatan 18, ☏ . Only assessable during guided tours. Daily English language tours Jun 20–Aug 20 at 16:00. Pre-booked tours on demand.. A preserved 19th century middle class home. 50 kr, cash only. Booking your own tour costs 350 kr plus 40 kr per visitor.
- 2 Eksjö kyrka (Eksjö church), Norra Kyrkogatan, ☏ . Built in 1889. Free.
- 3 Eksjö Museum, Österlånggatan 31, ☏ . M–F 11:00–18:00, Sa Su 11:00–15:00. Contains exhibitions regarding the history of Eksjö, the military history of Småland and 20th-century artist Albert Engström who was born in the nearby village Hult. 50 kr.
- 4 Fornminnesgården (Folklore Museum), Arendt Byggmästares gata 22, ☏ . Open July & August, 12-15 F&Sa.. A local arts-and-crafts museum in a 17th-century coppersmith's house. 20 kr.
- Eksjö Town Festival, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Musical concerts on several live stages in central Eksjö one weekend in late August.
- 1 Moose-safari in Skullaryd moosepark (13 kilometers north of Eksjö), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 175 kr for adults, 75 kr for children.
- 2 Skurugata (14 kilometers north-east of Eksjö). A ravine with a lot of beautiful natural scenery, rumored to be the hiding place of trolls and bandits.
- 1 Antikt & gjutjärn, Nybrogatan 7, ☏ . Literally "Antiquities & cast iron". Has a flea market in the basement.
- 1 Amazing Taste, Norra Storgatan 23, ☏ . Do you need any additional recommendations with a name like that?
- 2 Eksjö stadshotell (Eksjö City Hotel), Stora Torget, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Lunch M-Sa 11:30-15:00. A la carte menu M-Th & Sa 18:00-22:00. Dinner F 16:00-22:00. One of the fancier restaurants in the city is in the city hotel.
- 3 Peking Restaurang, Norra Storgatan 38, ☏ . A Chinese restaurant with a nice outdoor seating.
- 4 Restaurant Sunrise, Norra Storgatan 19, ☏ .
- 5 Via Vinetto, Österlånggatan 33, ☏ . A pizzeria.
- 1 Lennarts konditori, Stora torget, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.. A nice café by the main square.
- 1 Eksjö stadshotell (Eksjö City Hotel), Stora Torget, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2 Hotell Vaxblekaregården Hotel, Arendt Byggmästares gata 8, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 3 Eksjö Vandrarhem, Norra Storgatan 29, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hultsfred - famous for its pop festival.
- Jönköping - the biggest city in Småland is located on the shores of lake Vättern. Known as "Sweden's Jerusalem".
- Kalmar - famous for its medieval castle, where the Kalmar Union was founded in 1397.
- Nybro - centre of "Glasriket" (the realm of glass), Småland's historical glassworks, whereof several are still acitve today.
- Oskarshamn - a coastal town with a nearby archipelago.
- Vimmerby - home of Astrid Lindgren and seat for the Astrid Lindgren's World theme park.
- Växjö - seat of Kronoberg County, the episcopal see of the Diocese of Växjö, and home to the main campus of Linnaeus University.
- Älmhult - The first IKEA store, and birthplace of Carl Linnaeus.