Fairview, "Heart of the Peace", is a town of about 3,000 people (2016) in Alberta's Peace River Country. Fairview is an agricultural community that is halfway between Grande Prairie and Peace River.
The last real oil boom faded in the 1990s, and the explosive growth of Grande Prairie - about an hour down the road - has had further negative impact on the town's commercial life, but tidy Fairview remains a center of government and farm services. In the 1950s, the town was awarded one of the province's three agricultural colleges, and the old campus (formerly Fairview College, briefly and controversially taken over by Edmonton's NAIT, now managed at a closer distance by Grande Prairie Regional College) occupies much of the town today. If you came from the south, you'll already be 20 minutes past Fairview's greatest attraction: the glorious Peace River valley, slashed out of the surrounding prairie with very little warning.
This little town has produced a few famous sons and daughters — former Alberta premier Rachel Notley grew up here, as did far-right firebrand Jordan B. Peterson. Smack the pedestrian crossing button at the town's only traffic light (installed a couple years ago for the sake of elementary school students), or admire one of Alberta's widest main streets. Try to find the Anglican Church (it's inside a mini-mall!) If the highly-in-demand Dunvegan campground is full, Cummings Lake just north of town is an acceptable alternative, with paved trails and a surprisingly large and comprehensive (although little-staffed) museum.
Fairview is on Highway 2, 5 hours northwest of Edmonton and an hour-and-a-half north of Grande Prairie.
The Fairview Airport is 3 km northwest of the town; there are no scheduled flights.
The downtown area can be done by walking. For places outside of the downtown, the only option is by car.
- 1 Historic Dunvegan (Dunvegan Provincial Park), Dunvegan (26 km south of Fairview on Hwy 2), ☏ +1 780-835-7150. A provincial historic site consists of a visitor centre and four historic buildings staffed seasonally by historic interpreters. Alberta's largest suspension bridge crosses the Peace River and overlooks the park. Camping available. The site was the location of one of Alberta's earliest fur trade posts and missionary centres, Fort Dunvegan, which is also a National Historic Site of Canada. It was built in 1805 by Archibald Norman McLeod and named for his family's ancestral home, Dunvegan Castle.
- 2 RCMP Centennial Collaboration Museum, 10813 103 Ave. May to Aug: Tu-Sa 1:30PM–5PM. This former RCMP residence shows a typical 1920s home with artefacts, displays and photos of Fairview and neighbouring areas on the main and upper floor, basement and porch. Free. Donations accepted.
- 3 Fairview Fine Arts Centre, 10812 103 Ave, ☏ +1 780-835-2697, email@example.com. Tu-Sa 10AM-3PM. Oil paintings, pottery, quilts and fibre art.
- 4 Fairview Pioneer Museum (Inside the Cummings Lake Recreation Area). May to Aug: Tu to Sa 9AM–noon and 1:30–5PM. A collection of historic buildings, a schoolhouse and cabin.
- 1 Cummings Lake Recreation Area (1 km north of Fairview on Hwy 732), ☏ +1 780-772-5353, firstname.lastname@example.org. Cummings Lake is stocked with Rainbow Trout and contains 28 stall campground, 10.5 km (6.5 mi) trail system, baseball diamonds, playground, and a boat launch.
- 2 Fairview Ski Hill (20 km SW of Fairview), ☏ +1 780-835-4725, email@example.com. 15 runs from beginner to advanced, serviced by 4 ski lifts, 20,000 feet of groomed runs on 100% natural snow.
- 1 The Butter Chicken Co., 11213 101 Ave, ☏ +1 780-835-5555. Daily 11AM-9PM.
- 2 Grandma Pizza, 11124 101 Ave, ☏ +1 780-835-3323. M-Sa 11AM-9PM.
- 3 Pizza Haven, 11025 102 Ave, ☏ +1 780-835-4991. M-Th 11AM-10PM, F Sa 11AM-11PM.
- 4 Stirfry Garden Restaurant, ☏ +1 780-835-2404.
- 1 DJ's Bar & Grill, 11017 104 Ave, ☏ +1 780-835-4606. Daily 11:30AM-1:30AM.
- 2 [formerly dead link] Heilan Beer House, 9212 113 St, ☏ +1 780-306-7686. M 11:30AM-10PM, Tu-Th 11:30AM-9PM, F Sa 11:30AM-10PM, Su 11AM-7PM.
- 3 [dead link] The Rose & Thistle Pub, 9812 113 St (Dunvegan Inn & Suites), ☏ +1 780-835-5100. 5PM-midnight.
- 1 Dunvegan Inn & Suites, 9812 113 St, ☏ +1 780-835-5100, toll-free: +1-800-546-8898, firstname.lastname@example.org. Small pets are accommodated for additional fee.
- 2 Hillview Inn, 10704 113 St, ☏ +1 780-835-2466.
- 3 Fairview Inn, 10413 110 St. 24-hour front desk, shared kitchen, free Wi-Fi, free private parking, paid airport shuttle service. From $99.
Fairview has a hospital.
- 1 Fairview Health Complex
|Routes through Fairview|
|END ← Grande Prairie ← Jct W E ←||S E||→ Grimshaw → Peace River|