Gütersloh is a large town in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany, in the area of Westphalia and the administrative region of Detmold. Gütersloh is the administrative centre for the eponymous county and has a population of 96,320 people.
The town lies on the Emssandebene plain, south-west of the Teutoburg Forest and on the north-eastern edge of the Westphalian basin and has no significant points of elevation. The town's lowest point is 64 m (210 ft) above sea level on the river Ems near the British Army's Princess Royal Barracks and the highest point is 105 m (344 ft) above sea level in the village of Friedrichsdorf to the east.
In the area of the county boundary with Rheda-Wiedenbrück is the Rhedaer Forest, a large wooded area with predominantly coniferous trees. The river Dalke flows through the town from east to west, crossing close to the municipal park (Stadtpark) as well as the town centre and river Ems.
Gütersloh hosts the headquarters of two of Germany's biggest business corporations: Bertelsmann (media) and Miele (domestic appliances).
- 1 Gütersloh Hauptbahnhof. Gütersloh has a railway station with regular Deutsche Bahn service. It is on the Hamm to Minden railway. Intercity trains from Dresden, Hanover, Dortmund and Cologne call every two hours.
- See also: Intercity buses in Germany
The nearest major airport is in Hanover (HAJ IATA). Moreover the airports of Dortmund (DTM IATA, c. 1½ hours) and Düsseldorf (DUS IATA; two hours) are easily reachable by train.
On the A2 between Dortmund and Hannover, southwest of Bielefeld.
- 1 Stadtpark und Botanischer Garten Gütersloh (Botanical gardens).
- 2 Miele-Museum.
- 3 Stadtmuseum Gütersloh.
- 1 Mendoza, Unter den Ulmen 15, ☏ +49 5241 531653. Steakhouse
- 1 Gütersloher Brauhaus, Unter den Ulmen 9, ☏ +49 5241 25166.
- 1 Holiday Inn Express Guetersloh, Berliner Str. 106, ☏ +49 5241 17930.
- Flora Westfalica, Rheda-Wiedenbrück (10 km southwest of Gütersloh, 10 minutes by train). Grounds of the 1998 horticultural show, still well-groomed and regularly renewed.
- Gartenschaupark Rietberg (13 km south of Gütersloh). Grounds of the 2008 horticultural show.
- Zoo Safaripark Stukenbrock, Schloss Holte-Stukenbrock (30 km east of Gütersloh, half an hour by car).