Holbæk is a city in Zealand.
Holbæk is the seat of Holbæk Municipality and the second largest city of West Zealand Region with 26,000 inhabitants. The city is situated by Holbæk Inlet, which in turn is connected to the larger Ise Inlet. Holbæk is an important harbour city and a commercial and cultural center for the area.
Holbæk's history dates back to around 1200. The city expanded from around 1300 when the king built a castle here. However, the city has historically not been as important as other major cities in the area and only little from the city's early history has survived until today.
The nearest airport is Copenhagen, and there is highway all the way from the capital (route 21)
Holbæk is a major stop on the Copenhagen-Kalundborg railway line  running nearly in a straight line west over Zealand with departures once or twice per hour during most of the day. It takes around 50 minutes from Copenhagen and Kalundborg, and around 30 minutes from Roskilde. Holbæk station is the interchange to the private Regionstog's line to Nykøbing Sjælland, which covers nearly all of the Odsherred Peninsular.
If you are coming from West Denmark change to bus 13 in Slagelse (Intercity trains), it takes around an hour, the bus continues to Nykøbing Sjælland and gets there a bit faster than the train. Another option is catching the ferry  to Kalundborg from Aarhus and catch a train from there. Most of the Abildskou intercity buses between Copenhagen and Jutland stops at the Q8 gas station in Tuse (Kalundborgvej 220).
There are ten city busses all running from Holbæk Railway Station, most of them running once an hour but a few of them running two or three times every hour.
For taxis call +45 5943 4343.
Museums and galleries
- 1 Holbæk Museum, Klosterstræde 18, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-F 10AM-4PM, Su noon-4PM. Situated in 13 buildings built in the period 1600-1900, which are attractions in their own right. The museum exhibits local life from the stone age till now as well as temporary exhibitions. 30 DKK.
- 2 Co-operative Village Nyvang (Andelslandsbyen Nyvang), Oldvejen 25, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. M-Th 10:00-16:00, Sa-Su 10:00-17:00. Historical experience center demonstrating the works of the Danish agricultural co-operative movement during second half of 19th century and first half of 20th century. Adults 95 DKK.
- 3 Holbæk Kunstforening Æglageret, Lindevej 6, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-F 11:00-17:00, Sa 11:00-14:00, Su 12:00-16:00. Exhibits art within a wide range of media.
- 4 Galleri Juel Verland, Blegstræde 5, ☎ , , e-mail: email@example.com. W-Th noon-5:30, F 10AM-6PM, Sa 10AM-2PM, first Su each month noon-4PM.
- 5 Galleri Stokholm, Vestergade 4, ☎ , e-mail: MISUT@C.DK. Tu-F noon-16:00, Sa 11:00-14:00. Exhibits and sells contemporary painting.
- 6 Kalve Bog (Kalvemosen), Kalvemosevej (Take bus 102 or 106 to Bødkervej Stop). Nature area with marked routes with paths and bridges enabling you to get through the bog with dry shoes.
- 7 Ladegårds Woods (Ladegårdsskovene). Consist of four adjoining green areas, Lunden, Knudsskov, Haveskoven and Torbenlund Skov, stretching from close to the city center to the soutwestern boundery of the city. The woods are home to deer, aurochs, boar and other. Naturskolen, which is a school offering education to the primary schools in the area, is also situated here, and the school runs parts of Ladegårds Woods.
- Magle Lake (Maglesø).
- 8 Løvenborg Castle (Løvenborg Slot), Løvenborg Allé 30, Regstrup (8km from Holbæk). Dating back to the 12th century. The castle's park closed for renovation but will be accessible from 2010. Theater plays can be seen now and then.
- 9 Blackfriars' Monastery (Sortebrødreklostret), Klosterstræde 1, ☎ . Access only according to agreement.
- 10 Ugerløse Church (Ugerløse Kirke), Kirkevej 3, Ugerløse (Take bus 13 in the direction of Slagelse and get off at Ugerløse Skole Stop from where it is a five minutes walk), ☎ .
- Holbæk Castle (Holbæk Slot).
- 1 Turkish Bath (Tyrkisk Bad), Kalundborgvej 54H, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-W noon-7PM, Th noon-8PM, F 10AM-10PM, Sa-Su 10AM-6PM. Bathing venue combining Scandinavian and Turkish bathing culture. Different kinds of bath and massage available. Entrance 150 DKK (F-Su 200 DKK), massage etc. 325-625 DKK.
- 2 Holbæk Søbad (Søbadet Venedig), Kalundborgvej 54H, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. June to August 12:00-17:00 (during school vacations). Activities include bathing area for smaller children as well as 3-meter-springboard, water slide, water trampoline and climbing wall. Changing rooms, toilet and kiosk available. free.
- 3 Holbæk Golfklub, Dragerupvej 50 (Take bus 111 to Sofieminde Allé/Dragerupvej Stop and walk the last kilometer northeast of Dragerupvej, or take a taxi for around 100 DKK from the city centre), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Greenfee 285 DKK (weekend 340 DKK).
- 5 Musikhuset Elværket, Gasværksvej 9, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Live music venue. Tickets can be bought through http://gaffa.dk/live
- 1 Ahlgade. The main shopping street in the city.
- 1 Restaurant Beijing, Smedelundsgade 22, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Th 12:00-23:00, F-Su 13:00-midnight. Chinese restaurant. Barbeque buffet 98 DKK (F-Su 198 DKK).
- 2 Vestersøen, Kirkestræde 4A, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Su-Th 13:00-22:00, F-Sa 13:00-23:00. Chinese restaurant. Mains 80-118 DKK.
- 3 La Bon Bøfhus, Nygade 7, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Th 16:00-22:00, Fr-Sa 12:00-23.00, Su 16:00-22:00. Serves a wide selection of steaks. DKK 200+ steak main courses.
- 4 Mexico Café & Restaurant, Blegstæde 17, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Tu-Fr 17:00-22:00, Sa-Su 17:00-22:00. Wide selection of Mexican dishes. Mains 139-239 DKK.
- 5 Cafe Zehros, Ahlgade 39, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Su-Th 10:30-22:00, F-Sa 10:30-late. Cafe and restaurant on the main shopping street in the city with seating both inside and outside. Mains 159-239 DKK.
- 6 Cafe Svanen, Labæk 65, ☎ . Su-Th 08:00-21:00, Fr-Sa 08:00-01:00. Traditional danish fare: smørrebrød, biksemad, steaks, etc. DKK 100.
- 7 Bryghuse No5, Nygade 5, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. M-Th noon-10PM, F-Sa noon-late. Danish restaurant. Mains 179-198 DKK.
- 8 SuRi, Havnevej 5 (At the harbour), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Mo-Sa 11:30-15:00, 17:30-21:00. Brasserie and seafood restaurant. Mains from 215 DKK, five course menu 555 DKK.
- 9 Restaurant Vadestedet, Strandmøllevej 249 (At Holbæk Marina east of the city center, take bus 111 to Holbæk Sejlklub Stop (15 minutes from Holbæk Railway Station), ☎ . 12:00-21:00. Danish restaurant at the marina. Mains from 90 DKK, most 175-205 DKK.
- 1 Diligencen, Jernbanevej 5, ☎ .
- 2 Landgreven, Nygade 7, ☎ .
- 3 Café Falken, Gammel Ringstedvej 26, ☎ .
- 4 Cafe DO IT, Smedelundsgade 22B, ☎ , fax: .
- 5 Café Oline, Ahlgade 30G, ☎ .
Clubs and discos
- 2 Hotel Sidesporet, Ahlgade 1B, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Check-in: 16:00-18:00, check-out: 10:00. Doubles from DKK 745.
- 3 Hotel Strandparken, Kalundborgvej 58, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Rooms with free internet, minibar, hairdryer and coffee making facilities. Restaurant and meeting facilities available. Doubles 1,145 DKK.
- 4 Jernbanehotellet, Jernbanevej 1, ☎ . Restaurant and bar available. Doubles without/with shower 575/675 DKK.
- 5 Hotel Hørby Færgekro, Strandvejen 1, Hørby (From Holbæk Railway Station take bus 116 for 20 minutes to Blåbærstien Stop), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Doubles 925 DKK including breakfast.
- 6 Hotel Orø Kro, Bygaden 57, Orø (There is a ferry from Holbæk taking about half an hour).