- For other places with the same name, see Holt (disambiguation).
The town dates back to Roman times .The town's name derives from the Anglo-Saxon name for woodland. In the early 1700s the town comprised predominantly wooden buildings and in 1708 was almost completely destroyed by fire. However, over the subsequent 100 years the town was re-built though mainly using stone and flint construction, thus most building are now Georgian.
The town is known for Gresham's Public School which has many prominent former pupils.
- 1 Railway Station (Poppy Line), NR25 6AJ (1 minute from town centre), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. The town is the terminus of Poppy Line from Sheringham. The station is actually a 1½ miles from the town centre. Large car park with disabled spaces.
There is a daily National Express service to London
The town is small enough to get around on foot.
- 1 Letheringsett Watermill (Working Watermill), Riverside Rd, Letheringsett, NR25 7YD (1½ miles W of town), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Mill shop: M-F 09:00-16:00. Sa 09:00-13:00. Mill working: Tu W F 11:00-15:00. Shop selling flour ground at the mill. Guided tours (by prior arrangement only).
In the nearby village of 1 Hunworth
- 2 Parish Church of St Lawrence (3 miles S of Holt).
- 3 Hunworth Hall.
- 4 Hunworth Watermill. Dates back to 1760. On River Glaven.
- Take a walk at Spout Hills, or in the Country Park.
- 1 North Norfolk Railway (The Poppy Line), NR25 6AJ, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. A 5 mile, 23 minute steam train ride from Holt to Sheringham. Or 18 minutes if diesel hauled.
- 2 Holt Country Park (Woodland Walks), Hempstead Rd, Holt NR25 6ES (1 mile SE of town). Visitor Centre. Car Parking (£1.50 per day). Way-marked routes (suitable for push chairs and wheel chairs).
- 3 Huff & Puff cycles (Bicycle Hire), Kelling Heath Holiday Park, Weybourne, NR25 7HW (4 miles ENE of town), ☏ (mobile), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Holt Lights. The town centre is beautifully lit up prior to Christmas. "Switch on Night" for 2017 is 18:30 15 November.
- Holt Festival (Music, Theatre and Arts Festival). Lasting 1 week, held in summer.
There are many antique shops in the town.
- 1 Budgens (Convenience Store), 6 Kerridge Way, Holt, NR25 6DN, ☏ . M-Sa 08:00-20:00. Su 10:00-16:00.
- 2 Bakers & Larners (Department Store), 8 Market Place, Holt, NR25 6BW, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Sa 08:30-17:00.
- 1 Byfords Café (Café, Delicatessen & B&B), 1-3 Shirehall Plain, Holt, NR25 6BG, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 07:00-20:30.
- 2 Taste Of India (Indian Restaurant), 31 Bull St, Holt, NR25 6HP, ☏ . M-Th 12:00-14:00 & 18:00-23:00. F 17:30-23:00. Sa 12:00-14:00 & 17:30-23:00. Su 12:00-14:00 & 18:00-23:00.
- 3 The Barn Café-Bistro, Appleyard, Holt, NR25 6AR, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Sa 08:45-17:00.
- 4 The Blue Bell (Gastro Pub), 22 Holt Rd, Langham, NR25 7BX (5 miles WNW of town), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 12:00-23:30.
- Try the public bar at the Feathers Hotel.
- 1 The Hunny Bell (Pub), The Green, Hunworth, NR24 2AA, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Th 12:00-15:00 & 17:30-23:00. F Sa 12:00-15:00 & 17:30-23:30. Su 12:00-23:00.
- 2 The Kings Head (Pub, Foor & B&B), 19 High St, Holt, NR25 6BN, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 11:30-23:00. Su 11:30-22:30. Food served 12:00-15:00 & 18:00-21:00.
- 3 Folly Tea Room, Hoppers Yard, Bull St, Holt, NR25 6LN, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Sa 09:00-18:00.
- 1 The Feathers Hotel (Hotel, Bar & Restaurant), 6 Market Place, High St, NR25 6BW, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2 The Lawns (Hotel & Wine Bar), 26 Station Rd, Holt, NR25 6BS, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. AA 4*. £99-£145.
- 3 Holm Oaks (B&B), 83A Cromer Rd, Holt, NR25 6DY, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 16:00-21:00, check-out: by 10:00.
- 4 Willows House (B&B), 43 Cromer Rd, Holt, NR25 6EX, ☏ . £50-£60 (single occupancy). £65-£75 (double occupancy).
- 5 The Stables (B&B), Lodge Farm Barns, Norwich Rd, Holt, NR25 6SW, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Minimum stay 2 nights. Unable to take card payments. £80 (two people sharing room).
- 6 [dead link] The White Cottage (B&B), Norwich Road, Holt, NR25 6SW, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. WiFi. from £65.
- 7 Hempstead Hall (B&B), Hall Cottages, Hempstead, NR25 6TN (3 miles SE of town), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Adults only. No pets. Minimum stay 2 nights. WiFi. £40 per person per night (double occupancy).
- 8 Foxhills Camping, Weybourne, Holt, NR25 7EH, ☏ (between 09:00-18:00). Open all year. Tents, Motorhomes and Campervans. Minimum stays for Bank Holidays and high season. Dogs allowed (charged and must be booked in advance).
- 9 Swallowtails (Camping/Glamping), Holt Hall, Kelling Rd, Holt, NR25 7DU (Access is via Kelling Rd only. (for satnav purposes NR25 6RT)), ☏ (mobile), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Pitch £33 per night. Various Yurts available..
- 10 Kelling Heath (Camping & Lodges), Weybourne, Holt, NR25 7HW, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 1 Post Office, 6 Kerridge Way, Holt, NR25 6DN.
- Blakeney (Norfolk) with Blakeney Point Seal Colony and Norfolk Wildlife Trust Cley Marshes Nature Reserve
- Wells-next-the-Sea with its oysters and its seal-watching trips.
- Cromer with its beach