Horwich is a small but bustling town in the borough of Bolton.
Originally a farming community, Horwich built its wealth and earned its name through the railways and locomotive works that were established in the town before their closure in 1984.
Today it is home to the Macron Stadium, (formerly Reebok Stadium) home of Bolton Wanderers football club. The Middlebrook opened in 1998: a large retail park with an array of stores including Marks & Spencer, Tesco, Homebase, Boots the Chemist, Asda, Vue cinema, Hollywood Bowl, McDonalds and Pizza Hut to name a few.
Middlebrook was recently expanded to include a new cluster of restaurants, including Chiquito and Bella Italia. Horwich is a very pleasant, scenic area with friendly people and a friendly atmosphere. Located as it is the West Pennine Moors, much of Horwich is hilly, though the town centre is largely flat.
Horwich is not far from Manchester Airport, which is serviced by many full service and budget airlines. There are frequent, direct trains between Manchester Airport and Horwich Parkway train station. Liverpool and Blackpool Airports are also close-by.
Horwich Parkway station is served by regular passenger trains from Manchester Piccadilly, Deansgate, Bolton, and from Blackpool via Preston. Trains are operated by Northern and First Trans-Pennine Express. Blackrod station is closer to the town centre, but has only has one train per hour as opposed to Horwich Parkway's three.
Horwich is located on the M61, which allows quick access to Bolton, Manchester, and the North-West coast, including Blackpool, as well as links to the major M6 arterial motorway. The town's two main roads are Chorley New Road and Chorley Old Road which run almost parallel to each other and connect Bolton and Chorley. The vast majority of businesses in Horwich can be found along these roads. Travellers should be aware that, in places, Chorley Old Road has other names as it runs through Horwich including Lee Lane and Church Street. If asking for directions, Chorley Old Road serves as a catch-all for these different names.
Horwich Chorley Old Road is served by Stagecoach in Lancashire buses, and is on the Preston line (125, 126).
Horwich Chorley New Road is served by First Great Manchester and Arriva North West buses and is on the Wigan line (575).
The Middlebrook Retail Park is served by South Lancs Travel buses and is on the Leigh line (516, 517).
Horwich is located amidst the lovely Lancashire moors, allowing for hours and hours of cycling and walking. Reebok Stadium, home to Bolton Wanderers Football Club, is in Horwich, as are Rivington Pike and Winter Hill television mast high up in the Moors.
- West Pennine Moors.
- Reebok Stadium.
- Rivington Pike.
- Winter Hill Television Mast.
- Go walking in the West Pennine Moors that surround Horwich and provide a picturesque backdrop to the town. Rivington Pike, whilst not strictly in Horwich, makes for an excellent hiking target, as does the Winter Hill television mast. Both offer beautiful, uninterrupted views over much of the North-West, with vistas over Manchester, Bolton, Horwich, Blackpool and, on a clear day, Wales.
- See a football match at Bolton Wanderers' Macron Stadium. Whilst no longer a premiership club, the stadium is still home to some of the best action to be found in the 'beautiful game'.
Horwich town centre is home to a number of boutique establishments including Thyme delicatessen and cafe, The Salad Bowl greengrocer, Ruby Rose boutique clothing as well as many other butchers, grocers, cafes, hardware and discount stores. The town centre also houses a large Post Office and several small supermarkets, including a Sainsbury's Local, Aldi and Co-operative.
The Middlebrook Retail Park, outside of central Horwich, but adjacent to Bolton Wanderers' Macron Stadium and Horwich Parkway train station is also popular with shoppers. Having opened in 1998, the Middlebrook has a cinema, a bowling alley, a Marks & Spencer department store and an ASDA supermarket, as well various eateries and other stores.
Horwich is a veritable Mecca for foodies with many restaurants both in the town centre and on the Middlebrook Retail Park. Some highlights in the town include:
- ¡Viva Espagna! (Spanish restaurant), 12 Winter Hey Lane, Horwich, Bolton, Lancashire, BL6 7AA, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Open from 6PM, and licensed until 1AM.
- Mumbai Indian Restaurant, 137-141 Chorley New Rd, Horwich, Bolton, Lancashire, BL6 5QF, ☎ .
- [dead link] La Salsa (Spanish restaurant), 116 - 120 Lee Lane, Horwich, Bolton, Lancashire, BL6 7AF, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Spice Valley (Indian restaurant), 171 Lee Lane, Horwich, Bolton, Lancashire, BL6 7JD, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Mon – Thu: 12noon – 2pm 5pm – 10.30pm; Fri: 12noon – 2pm 5pm – 11pm; Sat: 4pm – 11pm; Sunday: 12noon – 10pm.
- Thyme (delicatessen and café), 4-6 Winter Hey Lane, Horwich, Bolton, Lancashire, BL6 7AA, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Mon - Fri: 8.30-5 (lunch menu served until 3.30) Sat: 9 - 4.30 (lunch menu served until 3.30) Sun: Closed.
- Corner Café, 43 Lee Lane, Horwich, Bolton, Lancashire, BL6 7AX.
The Middlebrook is also home to many and varied culinary experiences and fast-food outlets, including:
- Abacus (Chinese restaurant), 11 The Linkway, Middlebrook Leisure Park, Horwich, Bolton, Lancashire BL6 6JA, ☎ , fax: . Mon - Fri: 5PM-11PM, Sat: 1PM-11.30PM, Sun: 1PM-10PM.
- ASK Italian (Italian restaurant), Unit 22 Middlebrook Retail Park, Horwich, Bolton, Lancashire BL6 6JA, ☎ . Mon - Sun: 11:30 to 22:00.
- Frankie & Benny's (Italian-American restaurant), Unit 20 Middlebrook Retail Park, Horwich, Bolton, Lancashire BL6 6JA, ☎ . Mon - Sat: 9AM - 11PM Sun: 9AM - 10:30PM.
- Nandos (Portuguese restaurant), 47 The Linkway, Horwich, Bolton, Lancashire BL6 6JA, ☎ . Sun - Thu: 11:30 - 22:30 Fri & Sat: 11:00 - 23:00.
Horwich is home to several welcoming and friendly pubs and bars, some of which are:
- The Crown, 1 Chorley New Rd, Horwich, Bolton, Lancashire, BL6 7QJ, ☎ .
- The Bridge Inn, 121 Church Street, Horwich, Bolton, Lancashire, BL6 7BR, ☎ .
- The Original Bay Horse, 206 Lee Lane, Horwich, Bolton, Lancashire, BL6 7JF, ☎ .
- The Saddle, 55 Lee Lane, Horwich, Bolton, Lancashire, BL6 7AX, ☎ .
- Sam's Bar, 28 Lee Lane, Horwich, Bolton, Lancashire, BL6 7BY, ☎ .
- The Blundell Arms, Chorley Old Road, Horwich, Bolton, Lancashire, BL6 6PY, ☎ .
- The Beehive, 991 Chorley New Road, Lostock, Bolton, Lancashire, BL6 4BA, ☎ .
Horwich no longer has any hotels in the town centre itself, though some Bed & Breakfast establishments remain around its periphery. On the outskirts however, there are three hotels operated by major chains.
- De Vere Whites. connects directly to Bolton Wanderers' Macron Stadium (previously Reebok Stadium).
- Premier Inn (bridges the gap between the stadium and Horwich Parkway train station.).
- Premier Inn (located on the Beehive Roundabout). is well located for the retail park, the Macron Stadium and the M61 motorway.
In an emergency call 999 for Police, Ambulance, Fire Service or Coastguard. Call 101 to report concerns to the Police that do not require an emergency response. The town's police station is now located on the Middlebrook retail park, although there is a police drop-in desk at Horwich Town Hall in the town's centre.
Horwich is in general no more dangerous than other northern towns and Police recently made the town centre a dispersal zone, giving them powers to disperse groups of people.
|Routes through Horwich|
|Preston ← Chorley ←||NW SE||→ Bolton → Manchester|
|Glasgow ← Chorley ←||NW SE||→ Bolton → Manchester|