Independence is a small city in Southeastern Kansas with rustic rural charm, a delightfully small downtown, a large WalMart Supercenter and pretty much nothing else.
Take either US75N from Tulsa or Bartlesville or US169N from Tulsa/Coffeyville and then US160W.
Walk or drive - there are a few public cab services. Distances are usually small.
- Downtown. Many small shops with rural American charm
- Ralph Mitchell Zoo. Free entrance, small collection but well kept
- Riverside Park. Adjacent to the Zoo with a waterpark, toy train (tickets are just a quarter), mini-golf and excellent gardens, swings, children play areas and walking areas.
- Neewollah. In October this tiny town hosts what they claim to be the largest annual celebration in Kansas: Neewollah. This 10 day festival includes no less than three parades, a carnival, live music, pumpkin contests, a local Queen Pageant, and a production of a musical. Much of downtown is only accessible by foot during Neewollah.
- Inge Festival. Also of note to the theatrically minded is the William Inge Theatre Festival, held in late April, which annually selects and honors a playwright whose "body of work has had a profound impact on American Theatre."
- 1 Elk City State Park, 4825 Squaw Creek Rd, ☏ . Offers boating, fishing, bird watching, and swimming as well as a system of hiking trails.
Chains include Walgreens, Wal-Mart, Orschlins Farm & Home. There's a little strip mall by the Wal-Mart with a dollar store, shoe store, and Cato.
Downtown includes plenty of local shops, including Ace Hardware (with nick-nack section), Messengers Furniture, Twigs Floral & Gifts, and Radio Shack as well as many other shops.
Also downtown is an AT&T, US Cellular, and Verizon store - just in case you need to stop by to get your phone serviced while you're on the road traveling!
Chains restaurants include Pizza Hut, Dairy Queen, Arby's and Taco Bell.
- Brothers Railroad Inn (Downtown). Wonderful Italian fare, very popular with the locals! Don't show up on a Friday without a reservation unless you're prepared to wait!
- Half Pint's (East of town). Formerly Kinsey's.
- Down Home Country Cooking.
- Mi Tierra. Great Mexican food, a new local favorite!
- El Pueblito. Great Mexican food, has been in Independence for many years with a well established reputation for good food and good service.
- Taco Inn.
- Calico Cafe (Downtown).
- Turbos Bar & Grill (Downtown).
- Uncle Jack's Bar and Grill (Downtown).
- John's Kitchen & Pub (Downtown). Good steaks!
- Southgate Bar & Grill.
- Apple Tree Inn (Downtown).
- Microtel (next to WalMart).
- Elk Lake has camping facilities and excellent trekking trails.
|Routes through Independence|
|Topeka ← Junction N S ←||N S||→ Dewey → Tulsa|