Keweenaw Peninsula is part of Michigan's Upper Peninsula, jutting out into Lake Superior. During the fall, the color of trees in the area is spectacular. There is a superb downhill ski resort on the east side of the peninsula.
- 1 Copper Harbor
- 2 Calumet - Center of the historic copper mining district.
- 3 Eagle Harbor
- 4 Eagle River
- 5 Gay
- Houghton-Hancock - twin cities and home to Michigan Tech University
- 6 Mohawk
Given the long distance between destinations and the lack of any mass transit, traveling by car is likely the best option. Cars can be rented at the airport between Calumet and Houghton-Hancock.
Eating in the Keweenaw is wonderfully economical. It's possible to get three full, delicious meals at a variety of local restaurants for under $10 or $15 a day.
- Irish Times -- Laurium. Good Irish food!
- Fitzgerald Hotel and Inn -- Eagle River
- Carmelitas -- Calumet. Tex-Mex.
- Pilgrim River Steakhouse -- Pilgrim River (just east of Houghton along 41). Expensive, good place for celebrations or when your employer or interviewer is paying.
- Library -- Houghton. Good food, good beer. Service can be slow, but the menu is more extensive than many other restaurants in Houghton.
- Suomi -- Houghton. Good place for breakfast or lunch, some Finnish fare. Large portions and reasonable prices. Favorite with the locals for obvious reasons. Many bakery options available behind the counter if you want to take some home with you. Good service!
- Kaleva Cafe -- Hancock. More breakfast/lunch with a Finnish flavor.
- The Hut Inn (US-41 near Laurium). This long-time local favorite features famous burgers, large portions of pasta, and a variety of salads and sandwiches.
- Victoria's Kitchen (Shelden Avenue in Houghton). It features fare inspired by Finnish cuisine and Lebanese dishes. The quality can range from outstanding to middling. Prices are reasonable--a full breakfast is under $2 in many instances. Friendly, fast service.
- Gay Bar & Grill, 925 Lake St, Gay,, ☏ . Su-Th noon-9PM; F Sa 11AM-midnight. Yes, the local tavern in the village of Gay is called the Gay Bar, but no, it's not a gay bar. You have to go to the Gay Bar! It is a hole-in-the-wall snowmobiler type of place. They sell t-shirts and shot glasses with logos. Pizzas, burgers, sandwiches and fish on the menu. Introduce the kids to the wonders of Italian cuisine with fine pasta dishes from Chef Boyardee heated up in the microwave oven.
- Keweenaw Brewing Company (KBC), 408 Shelden Ave (US-41), Houghton, ☏ . Tap Room: M-W 3PM-10PM; Th-Sa 11AM-11PM; Su noon-8PM. The Tap Room is smoke-free, and doesn't serve food (besides peanuts), but a lot of places deliver here. pint $2.75, 5-piece sampler $4.50.
It's not hard to stay safe in the "urban" areas of the Keweenaw. Exercising basic common sense will likely guarantee your safe passage. Most are not afraid to walk around alone at night because crime rates are so low.
When out and about in the woods during hunting season, wear bright colors.
Houghton and Copper Harbor are two of the main gateways to Isle Royale National Park, providing ferry service to the wilderness preserve.