North America > United States of America > Florida > Florida Keys > Key Largo
Fly into Miami or Fort Lauderdale. Chauffeured transportation is expensive. Renting a car is best. From Miami, take Florida's Turnpike south to US Route 1. Take US 1 to Key Largo. Note that the toll roads no longer allow you to pay cash, however, you can register your car online in order to use the toll roads. Rental cars are equipped with transponders, but fees vary by company.
Key Largo does not lend itself to bikes or walking. Although there is a bike path, it runs just alongside the highway, and as such would not be the most relaxing (or pleasant) of rides. Most shops are along the highway, and as such the main drag has something of a strip-mall feel (for the most part, the water is not visible from the highway).
- 1 John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, 102601 Overseas Hwy (Off US 1 at Mile Marker 102.5), ☏ . 8AM to sundown. Main Boat Tours & Reservations: +1 305 451-6300, General Info: +1 305 451-1202 (Front Gate), Camping Information: +1-800-326-3521, Group Tour Reservations (15+ people): +1 305 451-6316, Boat Slips & Mooring Rates: +1 305 451-6325. Visitor Center, fishing, swimming, picnicking, snorkeling, scuba, rentals, camping. $8.
- 2 African Queen, 99701 Overseas Hwy, ☏ . 9AM to 8PM. The iconic vessel the African Queen is located in Key Largo Florida. Made famous in the 1951 movie of the same name starring Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn she still remains a timeless classic. This famous steamboat is available for daily canal cruises and dinner cruises in the Port Largo Canal area and also for private events. $49-$89 for cruises.
Key Largo is known as a diving Mecca, and many dive companies operate from here, taking large numbers of people to the reefs. In addition, other water-related activities like snorkeling, touring on a glass bottom boat or casino boat, parasailing, and fishing are all popular activities here. On land, motorcycle riding is popular, with rentals available.
- Reef Roamer Snorkel Catamaran, MM 100, ☏ . 8 - 6. Come snorkeling in John Pennekamp Park with Reef Roamer and Quicksilver catamarans. Three snorkel trips daily 9, 12:30, and 5:30. Sunset sails with free champagne and rum punch. $22 and up.
John Pennekamp Park also has kayaks for rent, with routes ranging from 30 minutes to 2 or more hours.
- Shell World
The Keys have a large Cuban population, so in addition to the obvious (fish), be sure to try some Cuban food (or coffee). Many restaurants have excellent seaside seating with amazing views. In addition to the offerings below, neighbouring Islamorada has the excellent Marker 88 (located at mile marker 88) seaside restaurant.
- Buzzards Roost Restaurant, 21 Garden Cove Dr, ☏ .
- Cafe Largo/Bayside Grill, 99530 Overseas Hwy, ☏ .
The food is very good. The service is enthusiastic and the staff has personality.
- Caribbean Club, +1 305 451-4466.
- Crack'd Conch Restaurant, 105045 Overseas Hwy, ☏ .
- DJ'S Diner, 99411 Overseas Hwy, ☏ .
- Fish Tales Cafe, 10344 Overseas Hwy, ☏ , fax: .
- Flamingo Seafood Restaurant, 45 Garden Cove Dr, ☏ .
- Ice Cream Shoppe, 101431 Overseas Hwy, ☏ .
- Key Largo Coffee House, 100211 Overseas Hwy, ☏ .
- Mrs. Mac's Kitchen, 99336 Overseas Hwy, ☏ .
- Num Thai Rest. & Sushi, 103200 Overseas Hwy, ☏ . Great sushi, friendly and very local.
- Senor Frijoles/Sundowners, 103900 Overseas Hwy, ☏ .
- Smugglers Cove, 85500 Overseas Hwy, ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Upper Crust Pizza, 101611 Overseas Hwy, ☏ .
- Pilot House Restaurant, 13 Seagate Boulevard, ☏ . Notable for its 'glass bottom bar', where you can watch the fish swim underneath you while you eat. Children (and the young-at-heart) can feed the fish over the side. If you get lucky, you might see a dolphin.
- Islamorada has some decent dive bars.
- Cactus Jacks, 103900 Overseas Highway Key Largo, ☏ . Very local dive bar. Good prices. Open mic nights on Monday.
- Jules’ Undersea Lodge, 51 Shoreland Drive (Key Largo Undersea Park), ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. This underwater hotel is 21 feet below the surface. Sleeps up to six. $350+/night..
- Key Largo Grande Resort & Beach Club, A Hilton Resort, 97000 South Overseas Highway, toll-free: . Newly renovated and nestled on 13 acres of lush hardwood forestry along the Gulf of Mexico.
- Keys Tree House- Vacation Rentals, Mile Marker 95, ☏ . Somewhat secluded, and private.
- Diver's Cove, 95351 Overseas Highway, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Very easy-going small resort with boat ramp, dockage & tikis.
- Ocean Pointe Suites at Key Largo, 500 Burton Drive, ☏ .
- Ramada, 99751 Overseas Hwy, ☏ .
- Coconut Palm Inn, 198 Harborview Drive Tavernier (Drive north on the Overseas Highway to Mile Marker 92. Make left on Jo Jean Way and continue to the bay and we will be on your left.), ☏ , toll-free: . Check-in: 3:00PM, check-out: 11:00AM. 18-room hotel with onsite marina, private beach, and beachfront pool.
- John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, Camping Information: +1-800-326-3521.
|Routes through Key Largo|
|Miami ← Homestead ←||N S||→ Islamorada → Key West|