Khujand (called Leninabad in the Soviet period) is a city in Tajikistan.
Khujand is the second largest city in Tajikistan (163,000 inhabitants). It is located in the Ferghana Valley on both banks of the Syr Darya river, known in ancient times as the Jaxartes.
Khujand is an old city, having been founded by Alexander the Great in 329 BCE as Alexandria Eschate (furthest Alexandria). It is on the historic Silk Road and was a moderately important trading city on that route for centuries. Its position is strategic, at the exit of the Valley where it can tax trade and resist invasions.
There is an international airport in Gafurov, 10 km from Khujand. Often Gafurov is referred to by its Soviet name - Chkalovsk. Khujand airport has many flights to Russia.
Marshrutkas and taxis to the Uzbekistan border depart from the northern bus station. Taxi to Oybek post should cost about 50-80 somoni
Taxi should cost not more than 10 somoni for any destination in town. Taxi to the airport costs about 30 somoni. There are plenty of marshrutkas as well. Don't expect anyone to speak English.
- Ismail Somoni monument. This new monument is located on the left bank of Syrdarya. It stands on top of a hill surrounded by fountains. There is a color and music show every evening.
- Masjidi Jami mosque and medrese. These buildinds are used for its religion purposes. They are located on bazaar square.
- Panchshanbe Bazaar. Nice Stalin-era building and a good place for shopping local food.
- Ruins of the X century citadel. There is a small renovated part which contains a museum about region history.
Eat local cheap food.
- Leninabad. Overpriced Soviet-era hotel, yet cheap. Double room with private shower costs 120 somonis for foreigners (100 somoni for citizens of CIS, 80 somoni for tajiks). Lift is not working, so you probably wouldn't live higher than the 4th floor. The left luggage service costs 2 somoni. The hotel is located on right bank of Syrdarya near the river.
There is a Kairakum reservoir on Syrdarya river. To get there you should takt marshrutka #16 near Panchshanbe bazaar (2,5 somoni, 30 minutes). There is a small beach with infrastructure and eateries near dam, and a lot of sandy beaches further. Water is good and warm, though beaches themselves could be dirty.