Osceola County (Florida) > Kissimmee
Kissimmee is a city in Osceola County. Kissimmee (pronounced /kiˈsimi/, accent on second syllable) is a popular Central Florida tourist destination because of its sunny weather, spring training baseball for major league clubs, and close proximity to Disney World. It is located just south of Orlando in what is commonly referred to as the "Kissimmee-St. Cloud" area, due to the short distance between it and the adjacent city of St. Cloud. It is centered directly between St. Cloud and Disney World on Highway 192 and leads into SR-535, which leads directly into Disney World theme parks. Most tourist activity is centered around Highway 192 (also known as Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway and Vine Street in the city of Kissimmee).
Since the opening of Disney World in 1971, Kissimmee has been primarily a tourist-driven town. Before that the town relied on agriculture and ranching, with a population of just over four thousand through the 1950s.
- Orlando International Airport (MCO IATA), your entry point for most international and domestic flights. It is about a 25 minute drive down I-4 from Kissimmee. Be aware that airport security lines can become extremely long (1 hour), especially during the summer tourist season and near holidays. Combined with long check-in lines, it is advisable to arrive 2-3 hours before your scheduled departure.
- Kissimmee Gateway Airport (ISM IATA) - The closest general aviation facility to Walt Disney World, Sea World, UNIVERSAL Orlando, the Orlando-Orange County Convention Center. Used primarily for private business jets or small commercial aircraft.
Most visitors arrive on the Florida Turnpike by taking exit 242 (going north) or exit 249 (coming south). Be aware that the turnpike uses automated toll collection booths on many exits that require exact change, so be sure to have a pocketful of quarters with you when driving.
AMTRAK offers daily train service on the Silver Star and Silver Meteor routes.
Kissimmee's public transportation is the Lynx bus service. Trips cost $2 per ride (transfers included). Check out Go Lynx for routes and fares. +1 407-841-LYNX.
Interstate 4 is the most preferred route, and carries a driver toward Tampa going west and downtown Orlando and Daytona Beach going east. The road can get very congested at times. The Osceola Parkway is a toll road that runs parallel to 192.
The primary surface highway in Kissimmee is US 192, running west to east through the area. From Hoagland Blvd. (near the city's municipal airport) to the west, it features large purple "mile marker" towers which serve as reference points through their tourist area. (The main entrance to Walt Disney World is at mile marker 7.)
- Old Town (by mile marker 8 on Hwy 192). They have a classic car show on the weekends, lots of shops and a couple restaurants, and a free Ferris wheel (if you find the coupon in one of the many coupon books) as well as other rides (including a giant human sling shot). Coupon books found in all hotels, Denny's, Pancake House.
- Osceola Heritage Park, 1875 Silver Spur Ln, ☏ . (2 mi N on I-92 from Turnpike)- Events and recreation complex that includes Osceola County Stadium, Silver Spurs Arena, and other facilities.
- Osceola County Stadium, +1 407-933-5400, Spring Training home of the Houston Astros. Catch the excitement of Major League Baseball up close (every year from late February through early April).
- Silver Spurs Arena is a multipurpose events arena which hosts shows ranging from rock concerts to competitive rodeos. The annual Silver Spurs Rodeo is hosted here every year in late February.
- Warbird Air Museum, 231 N Hoagland Blvd, ☏ . This is an active work shop rather than a museum which specializes in restoring WW2 aircraft to flying condition. Guided tours are available of the work shops and hangers which are crammed with wrecks and bits and pieces of rare aircraft, as well as planes which are flyable or are being restored.
- Osceola County Historical Society, 750 N Bass Rd, ☏ . Th-Sa 10AM-4PM, Su 1PM-4PM. Historical village and museum of Kissimmee, with authentic buildings such as a cracker house and horse stables. $5.
- Florida EcoSafaris at Forever Florida (Zipline Safari), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Journey deep into Forever Florida, a 4700 acre eco-ranch and wildlife conservation area, preserved just as nature intended. This beautiful site boasts 9 distinct Florida ecosystems and an endless array of natural flora and fauna including alligators, black bears, nearly two hundred species of birds and the endangered Florida panther. Choose your own fully-guided adventure: Coach Safari, Horseback Safari, soar through the treetops on the Zipline Safari. Reservations required.
- SkyScapes Balloon Tours, ☏ , email@example.com.
- Boggy Creek Airboat & Swamp Buggy Rides, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Naturalists often refer to Boggy Creek wetlands as, 'The Central Florida Everglades'. Take one of these airboat or swamp buggy rides for an up-close look at exotic birds, turtles. 9AM-5:30PM daily.
- Lake Tohopekaliga - Known locally as "Lake Toho," it is the largest lake in Osceola County, and is renowned for some of the best bass fishing in the state.
- Cypress Lake Airboat Tours (Osprey Eco Tours), 3301 Lake Cypress Rd (E on Hwy 192 to St. Cloud, drop South on Vermont Ave( aka Canoe Creek Rd), go 11.6 mi to Lake Cypress Rd turn right, then 2.3 mi), ☏ . 10AM-4:30PM daily. Scenic airboat ride through an undeveloped region of Florida where alligators and bald eagles are commonly encountered. Call for Reservations. one hour
- Shingle Creek Regional Park (Steffee Landing), 4265 W Vine St (7 mi E of I-4 on US 192 (exit 64A), on US 192 on right side near marker 15), ☏ . Oct-Mar 8AM-5PM, Apr-Sep 8AM-7PM. A nature park that encompasses 1,033 acres of natural Florida along the banks of beautiful Shingle Creek-Headwaters to the Everglades. The park features hiking/canoeing trails, picnicking and play areas placed amongst the remnants of the historic Shingle Creek community's pioneer homes and farms.
- Babb Landing, 2491 Babb Rd (7 mi E of I-4 on US 192 (exit 64A). Turn left on Old Vineland Rd, Right on Babb Rd). Park entrance located at the termination point of some of the hiking and canoeing trails.
- Art In Motion LLC Custom Motorcycles, 1503 Ross Ave (off of US 192), ☏ , email@example.com. Here you can see custom motorycles being built. At their .6 acre facility, you can visit a working motorcycle shop with 100% custom motorcycles, motorcycle customizing, a full parts counter and gifts. The "three-wheeler" restroom offers a "magic spot" where if you park your vehicle in the right place out front, you can see it projected upside-down on the silver wall inside. Also offers a "build your own bike while on vacation" service for people with the inclination to build a motorcycle but not enough time or knowledge to do this on their own.
- The Loop. Large shopping center, opened in 2007, with a wide variety of anchor stores, restaurants, and specialty retailers, including a movie theater.
- Downtown Disney (2 minutes off of 192; N on 535) in Lake Buena Vista offers a wide range of specialty stores.
- Azteca's Mexican Restaurant, 809 N Main St, ☏ . Unique dining environment offering authentic Mexican food.
- Capone's, 4740 W Hwy 192, toll-free: . Gangster themed dinner show featuring period costumes and comedy.
- Fat Boys' Bar-BQ, 1606 W Vine St, ☏ . Traditional, quality Bar-BQ. A local favorite. $6-8.
- Gator's Dockside, 715 Vine St E, ☏ . Sport's bar serving grilled wings that the locals swear by.
- Kissimmee Steak House, 2047 E Irlo Bronson Mem Hwy (Less than 1 mi W of Florida Turnpike, exit 244). High quality steak.
- Medieval Times, 4510 W Irlo Bronson Hwy, toll-free: . Dinner show with medieval reenactments including horseback jousting, all set in a huge castle. $58.95.
- Tarantino's Italian Restaurant, 10 W Monument Ave, ☏ . Family owned and operated Italian restaurant.
- Boston Lobster Feast, 6071 W. Irlo Bronson Hwy. (US 192), Kissimmee, FL (On north side of US 192 just west of Hwy. 417), ☏ . 4-10 PM M-Fr; 2-10 PM Sat-Sun. An all-you-can-eat place that has a fairly large variety of seafood, desserts, salads. A location of this eatery is on International Drive, in Orlando. Somewhat pricey.
- Fox and Hounds, 3514 W Vine St, ☏ . Authentic British pub with great atmosphere.
- Third Base Pub, 225 Simpson Rd, ☏ . Fun baseball themed pub with excellent hot wings too.
There are a vast number of lodging options around the parks, with quality varying greatly. In general lodging prices decrease the further away from Disney World you travel. Families and groups planning multi-day stays may also want to consider short-term rentals, vacation homes, or timeshares in the Disney-area; in general these may offer a better value when multiple rooms are needed for a 3 nights or more. At the last count, there were over 15,000 such vacation rentals in Kissimmee alone, offering approximately 60,000 bedrooms, sleeping 120,000 guests each night.
- Best Western Lakeside, 7769 W Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy, toll-free: .
- Galleria Palms, 3000 Maingate Lane Kissimmee FL,34747, ☏ , fax: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- Holiday Inn Express, ☏ , fax: .
- Masters Inn Kissimmee, 5367 W Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy, ☏ . AAA approved economy hotel offers discounted room rates close to the parks, and free shuttle transportation to get you there.
- Masters Inn Maingate, 2945 Entry Point Blvd, ☏ . Suites, free continental breakfast, and free transportation to Disney.
- Quality Suites Royale Parc Suites, 5876 W Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy, ☏ , toll-free: . One and two bedroom suites that can sleep up to 10 people with kitchenettes, decorated in a French Quarter motif. Property amenities include pools and sundeck, game room, fitness and business centre, and much more. Free breakfast buffet, nightly managers reception and wireless internet. One mile from the gates of Walt Disney World Resort, with free scheduled shuttle to major theme parks.
- Radisson Resort, 2900 Parkway Blvd. A 718 room resort located on 20 acres of tropically landscaped groups and is just 1.5 miles from Walt Disney World. 3 pools, cascading waterfalls, 2 whirlpools and a 40' water slide. Extensive on site Kids Activities program.
- Ramada Gateway Kissimmee, 7470 W Irlo Bronson Hwy, ☏ , toll-free: . A designated "Walt Disney World Good Neighbor" hotel. Restaurant on-site, fitness center, discount tickets on website, 2 pools, meeting space and free shuttle to Walt Disney World.
- Runaway Beach Club, 3000 Bonfire Beach Dr, toll-free: . Runaway Beach Club is a family resort where you can choose a 1-, 2- or 3-bedroom suite with Key West cottage-style furnishings.
- Silver Lake Resort, 7751 Black Lake Rd, toll-free: . A beautiful resort offering 1 and 2 bedroom condos with amenities including a clubhouse, 3 pools, tennis courts, basketball courts, a movie theater, a fitness center, cabana bar, simulated golf, game room, Internet access, fully equipped kitchen, flat screen TVs and Jacuzzi tubs, and is located next door to the Walt Disney World Animal Kingdom.
- Suites at Old Town, 5820 W Irlo Bronson Hwy, toll-free: . 1 mi from Disney Parks. Apartment style suites with full kitchens, dining area and living room with murphy bed. 1 bedroom suite-sleeps 6, 2 bedroom suite-sleeps 10, free shuttle to parks, full eat-in kitchen with dishwasher, microwave, full sized refrigerator & coffee maker, spacious dining & living rooms, each room has 2 TV's & private balcony or patio, free cable TV & HBO, 2 large heated swimming pools, coin laundry on site, game room, and outdoor grill/picnic. Walking distance to 18 restaurants; clubs/bars; Property is next door to Old Town Entertainment and amusement center.
- Claremont Kissimmee, 6051 W Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy 34747. Bedroom Suite, Double deluxe and King deluxe, all equipped with Air-conditioning, Cable TV and Safe. Facilities and services are Swimming pool, Café and High-speed Internet access. From USD 50.85.
- Comfort Suites Maingate East, 2775 Florida Plaza Blvd, ☏ . All-suite rooms with free Internet access, deluxe Continental breakfast, and scheduled shuttle service to major theme parks. Outdoor pool open 24 hours a day.
- Cypress Cove Nudist Resort, 4425 Pleasant Hill Rd, toll-free: . Nude resort offering villas and camper amenities.
- Lighthouse Key Resort and Spa, 8545 W Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy, toll-free: , firstname.lastname@example.org. All Lighthouse Key Resort & Spa suites come complete with the luxury features you would expect at a high end resort. Beyond the attended entrance, a luxurious lakeside suite in a truly majestic realm to call your very own.
- Ramada Heritage Park Kissimmee, ☏ . 2145 E Irlo Bronson Memorial.
- Ramada Resort Eastgate, 5150 W Irlo Bronson Hwy, ☏ .
- Seralago Hotel & Suites Main Gate East, 5678 W Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy, ☏ . Disney Good Neighbor Hotel, free scheduled shuttle to Disney Ticket and Transportation Center - 3 miles away, family friendly, pet friendly, restaurant, 2 pools, laundry facility, free nightly family movies in hotel theater, all rooms include microwave and mini-refrigerator, Kid's Suites and 2 Room Suites available.
- Travelodge Suites Kissimmee, ☏ . 4694 W Irlo Bronson. Studio Suites sleeps 1-5 people, 2 double beds, sofa sleeper, fridge, microwave and coffee maker. Property amenities include, free shuttle to all parks, free continental breakfast, free wireless internet, seasonally heated pool, only 4 miles from Disney with a McDonalds next door to hotel.
- Westgate Towers, 7600 W Irlo Bronson Hwy, toll-free: . One mile from the gates of Walt Disney World Resort, has a restaurant on-site, pools, a gym and interior corridor rooms.
- Westgate Town Center Resort, 2770 Old Lake Wilson Rd, toll-free: . Studios, 2, 3, 4 bedroom villas with full kitchens, washer/dryers and whirlpool tubs. Property amenities include movie theater, kids club, mini golf, tennis, marina, pools, hot tubs and much more.
- Gaylord Palms Resort & Spa, 6000 W Osceola Pkwy, ☏ . Located five minutes from Walt Disney World, this resort includes a 4.5-acre glass-covered atrium that celebrates the entire state of Florida. Features restaurants, La Petite Academy Kids Station, Canyon Ranch SpaClub, shops and live animal displays.
Kissimmee and the whole Orlando area requires the area code to be dialed, even when calling a local number.
- Disney World is minutes away, just north.
- Orlando hosts Sea World and Universal Studios, 10 miles north on the Florida Turnpike.
|Routes through Kissimmee|
|Savannah ← Orlando ←||N S||→ Winter Haven → Miami|
|Savannah ← Orlando ←||N S||→ Lakeland → Tampa|
|Tampa ← Lake Buena Vista ←||W E||→ Orlando → Daytona Beach|
|Wildwood ← Orlando ←||N S||→ Jct W E Template:Rtarrow Fort Pierce → West Palm Beach|
|Punta Gorda/Tampa ← Davenport ←||S/W N/E||→ Orlando → Jacksonville/Daytona Beach|