A few miles from the Greek border, this city is Albania's cultural capital. It is full of life during the summer when you can find couples and families strolling through the city's main park, Parku Rinia. You can hike to the top of the beautiful mountain Moravia and view the city and its surrounding landscape.
- Visit Korca Region Info Center, Blvd Shen Gjergji, ☎ , fax: +355 8225 7803, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
An interesting, though slow, way to get to Korça from Tirana is to take the train. The train leaves at 06:00 from Tiranë. Because the train makes a big detour via Durrës, it arrives no less than four hours later at Elbasan, about 35 km from Tiranë, so it should be possible to make a shortcut. The price is very favourable (295 lek, about €2). The second-hand German carriages are OK, though for some unclear reason all windows are damaged, apparently by bullets. The scenery is beautiful, and until October it is possible to have the window wide open.
Furgons to Tiranë depart every 20-30 mins from the fork of the main road on the north.
Furgons to Voskopojë depart at 7:30, 10:00, 13:00, 15:00 from the fire station.
Buses going to Sarandë depart early in the morning from the central bus depot, across from bazaar.
- National Museum of Medieval Art (Muzeu i Artit Meshetar Shqiptar) (near the Orthodox cathedral). M-F, 08:00-14:30, 17:00-19:00; Sa Su, 09:00-12:00, 17:00-19:00. Fantastic collection; if the door is locked during opening hours, ring the buzzer.
- Don't miss the Korca Brewery (famous throughout Albania) which sponsors a week long Beer Festival in the summer
- Bratko Museum.
- Archaeological Museum.
- Main Orthodox Church (in the town center).
- Trenit Cave.
- Take part in the Byrek Day (Festa e Lakrorit) showcasing local delicacies
- Go for a walk in the evening as part of the traditional Xhiro (walkabout)
- Go for a hike in the Morava Mountains
- Visit the Drenova Fir National Park and Prespa National Park nearby.
- Recently renovated Bazaar of Korça
- Celebrate Earth Day Festival in Dardha
Try Lakror, a type of Byrek with Spinach.
- Teru (Formerly Peking Restaurant), Midhi Kostani (Near the Grand Hotel).
- Raki from mulberry fruit
- Hotel Kocibelli (Formerly Hotel Turizem in the communist days), Sheshi Kryesor (just north of the bus station). Refurbished, quite clean. Rooms are not as modern as façade, but OK. Free Internet. Breakfast included. English speaking receptionists.
- Guest house Bujtina Leon, Shpresa Palla 3 (behind the cathedral, next to the greek consulate), ☎ 00355-694366504. Very nice little traditional hotel, ideal for relaxation. Recently renovated, offers flat screen tv to every room and breakfast in a beautiful room of wood and stone by the fireplace. The only hotel so far that offers online booking. €45.
- Greece (Γενικό Προξενείο Κορυτσάς), Pavllo Katro Nr.4 (Behind the cathedral, big blue-painted building)), ☎ , , (Emergencies)fax: +355 82 245 052, e-mail: email@example.com. 09:00-15:00.